XTAR - CES 2014 - VP2 charger

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy. There is confusion with this charger for the lay person that is not familiar with Li-Ion batteries.

I just received my VP2 and thought the same things. Especially when looking at it and saw that it was set to 3.8v out of the box. Most will not need this setting and may not even notice it before dropping in their more common 3.7/3.8v Li-ion. Not good.

I like the charger. It has replaced my aging Pila IBC.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy. There is confusion with this charger for the lay person that is not familiar with Li-Ion batteries.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but it's not that difficult.

For 3.2v LiFePO4 cells, use the 3.2v switch. For 3.6v (or 3.7v as marked) cells, which is usually what's stamped on 4.20v batteries, use the 3.6v switch. And finally, if you've gone out of your way to buy 4.35v cells, use the 3.8v switch.

Don't try and charge LiFePO4 3.2v cells with the switch at the 3.6v, or the 3.8v, position, as you'll screw things up. Don't try and charge 3.6v (4.20v) cells with the 3.8v algorithm, as you'll screw things up.

If you don't own any LiFePO4 3.2v cells, you'll have no reason to have your switch on the 3.2v setting, so your default position, for safety's sake, should ALWAYS be on the 3.6v setting. This way, if you put a 3.8v/4.35v cell in at that setting, the worst that will happen is that you only charge it up to 90%, or whatever.

Chris

__philippe

Enlightened
Look at this table:
supportedBatteryTypes.png

Hi HKJ,

Can we infer you designed this instructive table purposedly to illustrate a forthcoming VP2 charger test/review,
to be posted imminently ?...;)

(The "Switch" column looks like a definite telltale to me...)

__philippe

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hi HKJ,

Can we infer you designed this instructive table purposedly to illustrate a forthcoming VP2 charger test/review,
to be posted imminently ?...;)

(The "Switch" column looks like a definite telltale to me...)

__philippe

I expect that I am going to use it for VP2 , but I designed it for SP1.

__philippe

Enlightened
Can the VP2 charge Surefire LFP 123A lithium-phosphate cells?
Assuming a LiFePo4 chemistry for SF LFP123A cells, the VP2 can indeed charge them safely using switch setting "3.2v"

(See HKJ's reference table in post #139 above)

__philippe

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming a LiFePo4 chemistry for SF LFP123A cells, the VP2 can indeed charge them safely using switch setting "3.2v"

(See HKJ's reference table in post #139 above)

__philippe

Thanks for the reply. I will be placing an order soon. :)

david57strat

Enlightened
If you don't already own an Xtar VP1, you'll be happy with it and you've bought a charger that will handle a lot of cells, going forward.

Chris

This is my first XTAR charging product. I'm really pleased with it, so far. Prior to this, I used a pair of Nitecore i4 Intellichargers (which also work very well); but I wanted something that was capable of charging LiFePo4 RCR123 batteries (which I'm about to start using, rather than primary CR123s in some of my lights); and I wanted to be able to accommodate the larger 26650 (or even some of the longer protected 18650 batteries) that don't fit well in my i4 chargers.

This charger should work very nicely. I only wish they made a four-bank version, so I can charge more batteries, simultaneously.

apostolis22

Newly Enlightened
That will be some time, Xtar has not shipped one to me yet.
It looks like the first batch goes to dealers. Review copies are first send out from the second batch or maybe later.

Im looking forward to see a review of VP2 by you. Did Xtar send you one?

Thank you

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my VP2 charger today and charged the Keepower 14500 840mAh! Proceeding to charge the Surefire LFP123A cells... :)

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap, I think my charger has issues.
I thought of charging my 14500 Keepower after running it down a bit. I placed it in the right bay without turning on the power outlet. The charger started having a faint red light to the two leds (I guess it is sucking power from the cell). I proceeded to turn on the power outlet thus powering the charger and then after a second or two a short static sound could be heard. Burnt smell and smoke came out from between the cell's positive contact and the charger's contact point. I removed it and and shut it off. I waited a bit and turned on the charger again but this even without any cells the right bay is charging. Is it possible to claim warranty? Voltage switch was at 3.6V too.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sent an email to my dealer and am waiting for a response... This kinda sucks though. :(

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who did you buy it from?

It is a little late now, but I always plug in my VP1 charger and wait for it to "boot up," set the charging to 1A for my 18650's, then I install the batteries to charge. Just my process that I go through.

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who did you buy it from?

It is a little late now, but I always plug in my VP1 charger and wait for it to "boot up," set the charging to 1A for my 18650's, then I install the batteries to charge. Just my process that I go through.

Well, I am from Malaysia actually and bought it from a store called "Mount Xplorer Outdoor Gear" although their website and email goes by the name "Gadgetworld2u".

Still waiting for a response from them...

G.Brooks

Newly Enlightened
Soon I will buy VP2 also,need replacement from cheap Cytac charger. Btw,on ebay,VP1 and VP2 price nearly the same ?! Can we except price go down for VP1 ?