XTAR - CES 2014 - VP2 charger

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, wanna ask if it is okay to plug the charger into an extension? (mine has 4 ports)

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
A charger is fairly low power, i.e. there is no problems with using extensions.

Thanks for the info. I'll just wait for my charger to be replaced tomorrow and plug into an extension with a peace of mind. :)

propergol

Newly Enlightened
hi all,
I m sorry for my first post to ask you something...but :
I 'm french and I bought the VP2 charger in an online german shop, since there is no reseller in UK nor in France and :
- this shop send you the VP2 box WITHOUT the car adaptator :shakehead They sell it separatly...but that's an other story
- the manual is in german and I absolutly don't anderstand any word of german...

I have tried to find a download pdf version of the manual on all Xtar's online stores and even the official Xtar's website doesn't have any.

So I would be very gratefull if some off you could take a picture of his manual in english and upload it somewhere.

PS : here is the link to the shop :
http://xtar.de/ladegeraete/vp2/155/vp2-2-schacht-ladegeraet
I realy wonder if this is normal they can sell the VP2 without the car adaptator...

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realy wonder if this is normal they can sell the VP2 without the car adaptator...
Can, yes. Shop page clearly states what you get (charger + wallwart), and that they sell an optional car plug.

Normal: no. Normal is you get a box like Xtar supplies them (which in this case should include a car lead, as that's shown on Xtar site as package contents). Imho a bit of sleezy way to make a quick buck - on top of already high price. :mad: For example Nkon has these much cheaper.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my charger replaced today and so far so good.

The box it came with does include the car adapter. There is a space in the box molded for the adapter itself.

If you were nearby I could have given it to you as I don't use it. Unfortunately we are not close to one another.

propergol

Newly Enlightened
I got my charger replaced today and so far so good.

The box it came with does include the car adapter. There is a space in the box molded for the adapter itself.

If you were nearby I could have given it to you as I don't use it. Unfortunately we are not close to one another.

Thanks, but like you I don't realy need the car adapter, but I would simply never buy again from this "seller".

What I miss the most like I said is the manual in english :(

lebox97

Enlightened
FYI all
the XTAR Car/DC Plug/Cord for all charger models are priced/sold separately by XTAR, it is up to the individual Dealers as to whether they will include one or both plugs.
Make sure when you purchase a charger from a dealer - you know whether you are buying only Wall/AC cord, or both AC&DC cords.

properqol, send my your email address and I will send you a PDF copy of the VP2 Manual

Cheers
Tod

Thanks, but like you I don't realy need the car adapter, but I would simply never buy again from this "seller".

__philippe

Enlightened

The exorbitant prices and indifferent service provided by some EU stores are most deplorable.

Not to belabor a point oft made, but one of the best deals for European potential buyers of the Xtar VP2 charger
(complete with car adapter and English manual) has been alluded to in post #31 above.

Well worth a little "googling" to pinpoint the "mystery" source...;)

__philippe

propergol

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
thanks for your help!
I think I need to have 3 posts on the forum in order to be able to send you a PM.
So I will try asap :wave:

kbuzbee

Enlightened
No, that is to high current. Voltage is correct.
With 16340 you do want want a charge current above 0.5A and preferable lower, i.e. 0.25A

Thank, but to clarify...

'Do NOT want a charge current above .5a'? How low will the VP2 go?

(edit - okay, I looked back through the thread... .25a, .5a & 1a? So use .25a?)

Ken

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thank, but to clarify...

'Do NOT want a charge current above .5a'? How low will the VP2 go?

(edit - okay, I looked back through the thread... .25a, .5a & 1a? So use .25a?)

As long as you have the time use 0.25A, if you need the battery fast use 0.5A.
In my review it will say 0.25/0.5A like on the VP1.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
As long as you have the time use 0.25A, if you need the battery fast use 0.5A.
In my review it will say 0.25/0.5A like on the VP1.

Okay, thanks. .25a is no problem. I'm never in a hurry for a battery. Just wanting to do it "right"

How's the review coming along, by the way?

Ken

HKJ

Flashaholic
How's the review coming along, by the way?

Testing is basically done, now I need to look at the results and do some writing.
I will probably not be finished before I publish the next charger review, but the next again I expect will be the VP2.

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened
I received mine yesterday, very happy with it.

Now I am able to charge my Sanyo UR16650ZT 2,100mAh ( orange ) and NEW for 2014 Sanyo UR16650ZTA 2,500mAh ( purple ) at 4.30v instead of 4.20v. The 4.34v and 4.33v on displays means .05v less on the batterie ; I don't know how come, but while charging, the indicator ( display ) shows a .05v more, but for the first few seconds after inserting the cell in the charger it indicates the real voltage of the batterie ( exactly the same amount as my DMM ). ???

I bought also the USB Detector at the same time, works very well.

I do my best to talk in english, I am french speaking, then sorry for my not so good way to communicate in English to you.

Another picture that I share with you.