Yes another LED Headlight conversion question

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
in cars that i had, i could shut off screens compleatly nav\ravio\back up cam.....etc, but i could not dim it, in some cars it is possible to change background color, it will make it a bit less bright, but still they are bright even than.

My screen dims with the dash lights, but not nearly enough when out in the middle of no where, so I am glad it also has the disable feature.

BloodLust

Enlightened
I had the same predicament. Stock bulbs are not that bright. The Philips Extreme Vision were available

Last edited by a moderator:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a really good piece of advice. Even old-fashioned instrument clusters' relatively dim lighting can severely degrade a driver's ability to see road obstacles, and today's much brighter dashboards even more so. And it's not an obvious thing, because there's no painful glare involved. This is a point that's important but not intuitive; each and every source of light within the driver's field of view causes some disability glare (i.e., degradation of visual acuity), even if there's no discomfort involved. So yes, turn down the dashboard lights until they are just barely bright enough for you to see the gauges. It may seem unnerving at first, but quickly you'll notice a big improvement in your ability to see the outside world. By the same token, keep the windshield clean, inside and out.
one thing i love about my forester, the dash lights dim to almost invisible, and dim the radio/hvac lights at the same time.
my wifes old Impreza went one better and the lights were all red, rather than the blue of my car - loved it for night driving, but the forester is pretty good still

one car that irritates me is a work camry - it has bright blue/green lights in the hvac and it doesnt dim with the dashlights.
last time i drove i had to drive it in the country at night, i stopped at the first pub i found and grabbed a large chunk of cardboard to tape over it, so it wasnt glaring in my eyes (i had a three hour drive, no streetlights and minimal traffic for the first 2 hrs - on country roads populated by Kangaroos)
Before

After

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I can dim the dash lights, or turn them off, on everything I drive so far at least....and I typically run them at the dimmest setting at night. My wife on the other hand will drive with a dome light on, which makes me insane.

:D

The fog light issue gets me every time too, I use fogs to see the fog line when its pea soup out there, and I want to crawl home to to a safer parking spot, etc...but I have buddies who use them like aux headlights. I am always preaching about too much foreground light, and, they just look at me and say "But its brighter", etc...maddening. (Same issue with most LED light bars...)

:banghead:

Last edited: