Your Lawn Mower

turbodog

Flashaholic

I had a Honda 4-stoke mower, hated it because the blade speed was too slow, I mulch/compose everything & live in the forest.
Blade speed is everything!
What I'd give for a new 2-stroke Lawnboy

Properly adjusted, both mowers should be +/- 100 rpm of each other, around 3100-3200.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There's always the swing blade method.
3D189E42-EA49-4B51-9C28-69D6A9397FB6.jpeg

Or if your HOA allows……
AE1068CB-D634-4C5E-A7F0-437050A0A6C0.jpeg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Properly adjusted, both mowers should be +/- 100 rpm of each other, around 3100-3200.
+

I had a 2-stroke Lawnboy, its blade speed at full throttle was way faster than my Honda,, actually it wasn't even close.
You could visibly see the difference in fall when grinding up leaves,, not even close in rpm.

turbodog

Flashaholic
+

I had a 2-stroke Lawnboy, its blade speed at full throttle was way faster than my Honda,, actually it wasn't even close.
You could visibly see the difference in fall when grinding up leaves,, not even close in rpm.

Then something was wrong with one or the other. The lawn boys have always turned ~3100 rpm. You get into reliability and liability issues over that speed with ~20" blades.

brachypelma44

Newly Enlightened
Our sheep do most of the mowing, but for the small areas that I need to mow, I pull out our 80V Greenworks mower. It's not self-propelled, so you get a workout while you push it, but it's very quiet compared to gas mowers, and it works well. I get about 90 minutes on a full charge.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Year 13 the Toro started 1st pull after sitting since October.

I've been contemplating a rider for a couple of years now. But man, I'd be using so much gasoline or having some 400# battery operated machine to navigate around in my little shed. Plus tires that go flat......

The personal pace mower went from me chasing it, to push assist, to may as well not even have self-propel. Ugh!! Hence the thought of a rider.

Thinking new belt and all that I tried adjusting the cable trick and suddenly I'm chasing the mower again.
Woohoo!!! Rider? Nah, not yet.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I could have said a lot in this thread when I was younger. In my teens and 20s I spent weekends fixing mowers and flipping them. I loved oldschool Lawnboys but the wheel and bagging layout of most of them didn't work for me. Still on the looking out a Lawnboy M21--it was their entry into the Rolls Royce mower market that popped up in the '80s. Big fan of what turned into the Toro Super Recycler and the traditional Snapper mowers. Never really warmed up to Hondas--even though I recognize the quality they seemed hard to maintain when they got older. I've been using the last manual-shift Toro Super Reycler for ~15 years now. If I ever change I think I'll look into weirdo commercial mowers like Ransomes, Bobcat, and TruCut.

Last edited:

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Well, if we're going to resurrect this thread, let's do it in style :)
I use a 19" Victa body with a Honda motor, which is an excellent mower. That said, we recently upgraded to a Wright Stander B with a Kawasaki motor - the Wright is a stunning machine, I can't rate it highly enough.

Poppy

Flashaholic
A couple of days ago we had some unseasonably warm weather for the day. I think it hit 65F or at least it felt like that in the sun. At any rate, I wanted to check the battery in my mower to see if it would need a charge.

A quick shot of ether, and it cranked right up.

It's a 70's era Honda. The battery has been replaced a few times.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i always just used a cheap push mower the cheapest one at walmart or kmart or one i was given to fix . no self propel just push

Poppy

Flashaholic
i always just used a cheap push mower the cheapest one at walmart or kmart or one i was given to fix . no self propel just push
LOL raggie, prior to this, my last mower was a cheapie I bought at KMart.
My mower must have thrown a rod or something, but it was finished. So I went to KMart to get a replacement.
I saw one on the shelf $149 it had adjustable height wheels.
I grabbed one still in a box from below it and brought it to the check-out. It rang up $129 I guessed it was on sale.

When I got home, I had to assemble the wheels onto the body. I noticed that they were not adjustable. One would have his choice which height he wanted to set the deck by selecting which of three holes he would mount the tires. I selected a three inch deck height.

My kids and I had an ongoing argument about how short the grass should be cut. I figured that once I set the height, they wouldn't move the wheels to a lower height. Hmmm, I was wrong.

The next time I went to mow the lawn, I saw they had changed the height.

I figured that two can play at this game, and I changed them back.

That was the last time I had to change them.
Yea! Win for Poppy.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im usieng a 80 volt weed water now i think its 80 volt at least i use it to mow front yard till i get grass in back yard

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a Simplicity until maybe 1998 and by 2000-2016 a John Deere. Cutting yards with the Deere paid for many a light back in the day when I was first on CPF. Almost certainly a Pelican AAAA penlight and probably a Surefire 6P.

I remember back at the time my JD parts dealer had some JD rebranded Streamlight penlights but they were like $10-20 more than Streamlight sold them for. I wonder why no one here talks about them? That would have been in like 2008 or 2009.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Got a Husqvarna with a Honda engine a few years ago at Lowes. I hope it'll start this year, cause I'll need to use it in a few days. I'm getting too old for this again.

Geoff

chaosdsm

Enlightened
0.63acre yard:
> For primary cutting 2004 John Deere L100 rider
> For the tight spaces - 1.5 year old EGO LM2135SP 21" self propelled with 7.5AH battery.

So impressed with the EGO 21" mower, that I'm saving up to get the EGO rider TR4204. It's supposed to handle up to 1.5 acres on a single charge with the included batteries!!!

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
My uncle gave me an old Craftsman push lawnmower many years ago. That thing was over 30 years old. I never did any maintenance on it and it always started right up. I decided it was time to buy a new one because it was ratty and rusted. Long story short I had starting issues with the new lawnmower I bought. :(

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm considering replacing an older gas Toro with a 60V Toro. Any thoughts or personal experience would be welcomed.

Check out this sexy beast!

View attachment 59082
LOL... if I'm spending YOUR money, I say GO FOR IT!!!

Seriously, you know the Toro brand as well, or better than I.
I've been satisfied with my greenworks 40V string trimmer, so to make the jump to a battery powered lawnmower, if it has enough ponies, and the battery lasts long enough, it should be a pleasant experience.

The cost of a replacement/spare battery will set you back as much as fuel for the season. So I'd be sure to look at what other 60V tools I would like, and make sure that Toro offers them. I would not want to have a couple of 60V batteries of different brands/styles.