Zebralight H32 & H32w

markr6

Flashaholic
You could always use 16340 li-ions

Yeah, good on them for allowing multiple battery types. Runtime is a little weak for me, but I guess I'm spoiled by the H600w. Excited to see the SC32 too. Hell yes Zebralight! Keep em coming!

lockdoc

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a AA version to compare with but it's very comfortable to wear. Considerably much lighter weight than my surefire saint minimus. I'm definitely rocking a rechargeable 16340 with this.

xed888

Enlightened
Yeah, good on them for allowing multiple battery types. Runtime is a little weak for me, but I guess I'm spoiled by the H600w. Excited to see the SC32 too. Hell yes Zebralight! Keep em coming!

Any idea where I can get the h600 for cheap?

markr6

Flashaholic
Any idea where I can get the h600 for cheap?

Illumination Supply has them at retail $89, but discount code will knock it down a bit. I believe that's the best you can do unless someone is selling a used one in the marketplace or elsewhere.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the H52w as well. Tonight I'll take some pics, beamshots, and output readings.

EDIT:

Okay, as promised...

First, some shots for scale:

nmpdzug.jpg

Left to Right: SC52, SC62w, H600w, H51, H52w, H32w

mjs7g1z.jpg

Left: H52w
Right: H32w

Now for tint...

JPeV54J.jpg

Left to right: H52w, H32w, H51

Soi8Uu5.jpg

Left to right: H52w, H32w, H51. Shots taken on M2

And a few numbers just for kicks:

Configuration (Relative) Output Weight (g)

H52w + Eneloop 41 62.5
H52w + L91 35 47.2
H52w + LiCoO2 89 53.9

H32w + Surefire Lithium 86 48.9
H32w + LiFePo4 86 48.2
H32w + LiCoO2 85 50.7

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Thanks for posting pics lockdoc. Dang, that is tiny! Looking forward to more pics - interested in seeing beamshots as well.

Holy smokes, that's incredible. I was set on an H52Fw, but now I just may wait for F version of that. I wonder if there's much of a sensation difference with that on your head vs. the AA version.
I have had a few ZL headlamps in both AA and CR123 versions and I never really noticed much of a weight difference between the two. I did notice a bit of a difference in the amount of contact on my forehead since the footprint of the CR123 light always felt just a bit smaller... if that makes any sense.

But, some people may be more sensitive to weight differences especially when you have something sitting on your forehead for any length of time. The ZL 18650 headlamps on the other hand feel significantly heavier but still manageable.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone check if the H32 will take a protected RCR123? I remember the bear of a time I had trying to get an Ultrafire 880mAh RCR123 out of my H31 when I first bought it. I had the clever idea of glueing a pen cap to the battery and wait several days and then pull out. Would be great to be able to use my protected RCR123 cells in headlamps as that's all i use anymore.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! That's not even all of them. I have a few older headlamps tucked away in my truck and BOB and such.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AW 16340 tested above was protected.

Can someone check if the H32 will take a protected RCR123? I remember the bear of a time I had trying to get an Ultrafire 880mAh RCR123 out of my H31 when I first bought it. I had the clever idea of glueing a pen cap to the battery and wait several days and then pull out. Would be great to be able to use my protected RCR123 cells in headlamps as that's all i use anymore.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Now H32Fw and H302w are available for pre-order. I'm trying to decide on which one to go for but lack a good comparison from H52F and H502 or H600F and H602 for close up work - reading a book, looking down an engine. Most pictures show a back yard, in the forest or a white wall from a distance - I want the within arms reach perspective.

Swede74

Enlightened
Now H32Fw and H302w are available for pre-order. I'm trying to decide on which one to go for but lack a good comparison from H52F and H502 or H600F and H602 for close up work - reading a book, looking down an engine. Most pictures show a back yard, in the forest or a white wall from a distance - I want the within arms reach perspective.

I have the H502 (XM-L) and SC52 (XM-L). According to Zebralight's spreadsheet, the SC52 and H52(w) have similar beam profiles. I don't see much of a tint difference in real life; the spill of the SC52 beam has about the same tint as the entire H502 beam.

When I reread your post I realized you were asking for a comparison between x02 and F models (I missed the F at first glance) so this will probably not help you decide, but since I have the pictures I may as well post them.

h502_KL2.jpg

sc52_KL2.jpg

dts71

Newly Enlightened
When I reread your post I realized you were asking for a comparison between x02 and F models (I missed the F at first glance) so this will probably not help you decide, but since I have the pictures I may as well post them.

Thanks for the nice picture on the 502! If you have some Scotch frost tape for the 52, it would probably be pretty close to a 52F in comparison.

Swede74

Enlightened
Thanks for the nice picture on the 502! If you have some Scotch frost tape for the 52, it would probably be pretty close to a 52F in comparison.

I only had clear tape, but I found a plastic lens that turned milky when exposed to acetone a few years ago. If I remember correctly I also used some steel wool on it when the damage was done. I used it as a makeshift diffuser and it did a good job smoothing out the beam on the SC52.

This little experiment reminds me of how much I wish Zebralight would offer flip-down style diffusers for their lights.

lens_KL2.jpg

sc52_frost_KL2.jpg

SC62 "F" should read SC52 "F"

Last edited:

dts71

Newly Enlightened
I only had clear tape, but I found a plastic lens that turned milky when exposed to acetone a few years ago. If I remember correctly I also used some steel wool on it when the damage was done. I used it as a makeshift diffuser and it did a good job smoothing out the beam on the SC52.

This little experiment reminds me of how much I wish Zebralight would offer flip-down style diffusers for their lights.

Thanks again!

I totally agree on an add on diffuser. With all their versions SC/H in cold/warm/high cri with std/frosted/wide and AA/CR123/18650 - it adds up to so many versions. I'd rather see they spent their money on new models rather than keeping a stock of all variations.

Which one would you go for given your recent test - would you stick with 502 or change to a 52F?

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
Thanks again!

I totally agree on an add on diffuser. With all their versions SC/H in cold/warm/high cri with std/frosted/wide and AA/CR123/18650 - it adds up to so many versions. I'd rather see they spent their money on new models rather than keeping a stock of all variations.

Which one would you go for given your recent test - would you stick with 502 or change to a 52F?

You're welcome. I think I would stick with the 502 if I wanted a dedicated headlamp for close-up work. For an all-purpose headlamp, I would go for a H32 or H52. I suppose the "F" models are an attempt to combine the best of two worlds, but I see it more as a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I am planning on buying a H32w (and maybe a roll of frosted tape :laughing:) as soon as it becomes available in stores in Europe.

Lumilo

Newly Enlightened
Can someone measure the length of the H32. My H31 length is 67 mm. I hope that the new one is a little bit shorter.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Can someone measure the length of the H32. My H31 length is 67 mm. I hope that the new one is a little bit shorter.

I'd assume that the figures from Zebralight are correct:

H32 Dimensions
  • Head Diameter: 0.9 inch (22.8 mm)
  • Length: 2.7 inch (68.6 mm)

H302 Dimensions

• Head Diameter: 0.9 inch (22.8 mm)
  • Length: 2.7 inch (68 mm)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That small size is sweet. Almost makes me want to use CR123.

Ray-o-light

Newly Enlightened
Might have to pony up the dough for the H302w. Already have the H32w, which I love. If Zebralight comes out with a SC32, I hope it has a reverse pocket clip for mounting on a ball cap. With the small size and weight, it would be perfect for ball cap use!