Zebralight H501 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight H501 specs

Press and hold to start on low seems ok to me. Click to get high right off gives that option for those that like high first. Seems like everyone gets some thing.
+1. I would actually prefer a memory mode that keeps the last setting... but I do like the fact that you can access either low or high depending on whether you click-hold / click. That, to me, is a great alternative.

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened

Nearly identical runtime with a significantly higher output seems to indicate a much more efficient driver for the H501 than the H50. Funny, I always did think the H50 got excessively warm for only 66 OTF lumens.

For the following, I'll assume the H501 beam will be very similar to that of the H60.

The narrower beam is indeed nice. On the H60 I can use the 45 lm setting the same way I use the 66 lm setting on the H50. The 80 degree beam edge is a lot more noticeable in the peripheral vision, though, but it is (just barely) not overly annoying. They couldn't make it any narrower, IMHO, and still be in the super-floody class of headlamp. Of course one could always put a slight diffusion over the lens... hmm...

All the same, the narrower beam greatly reduces the amount of "intensity surging" that goes on when approaching or leaving a surface. This visual improvement balances out the now-more-noticeable beam edge.

It looks like there is now the usual slightly bluish center/ yellowish extreme spill to the unreflectored CREE beam (of the H60). Not surprising considering the "lens" is probably mostly just a protective window now, not really changing the native beam angle of the LED.

Just my 2 cents

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how that is done with out a real reflector on the H30. Any H30 users know this? I tested out a buddies H30 in the woods and it didn't seem alot brighter to me but only played with it for a few minutes. I liked the small size however.

I believe they use a small optic.

Shorty66

Enlightened

Some information was added:

Current regulated.
Weight
  • 21 gram (0.74 oz)
  • 41 gram (1.45 oz) with an alkaline battery
  • 63 gram (2.22 oz) with a battery and headband

This means its only 5g heavier than the original H50. Not bad.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 96 Lumens is from NiMH rechargeables.

Now that you have the new AA light, how about an AAA version in the future? The market for it is huge and untapped. Many people don't carry flashlights because they are bulky. They yearn for small single AAA lights. They are not flashlight nuts. They are everyday people, and they outnumber the flashlight nuts by 1,000 to 1.

Just imagine the sale potential for a light that has the usefulness and versatility Zebra lights are famous for in an ultra compact form.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Now that you have the new AA light, how about an AAA version in the future? The market for it is huge and untapped. Many people don't carry flashlights because they are bulky. They yearn for small single AAA lights. They are not flashlight nuts. They are everyday people, and they outnumber the flashlight nuts by 1,000 to 1.

+1 on this idea. As a certified flashlight nut I'd probably buy this, too.

Geoff

Shorty66

Enlightened

I think the h501 can be just that light which everyone carrys. Its tiny for an aa light and its really bright - especially to those normal people which are used to maglites :-D

It should just be cheaper. I think the 59$ is 10$ to much. 49$ was good and would be ok for most people.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't believe it took 48 posts before somebody did this:
|
|
V
skz3h2.jpg

Bunch of CPF slackers! :shakehead

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

The H501 looks really nice. I like button - hope it comes in glow-in-the-dark too. The UI sounds very nice.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I asked Zebralight the very same question. Still awaiting a reply.

Mike V

Enlightened

I though I had all the lights I need or want (yeah right), but this looks great.

I'm really digging AAs at the moment and I hate twisty lights, so I'm going to jump on this as soon as it is available.

If the UI is similar to Photon (sounds like it) I will be happy.

Could be $20 cheaper in the current economic climate, but what can you do?

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened

will the 501 mean H30 will be redundant? :thinking: or will there be a drop in price for the H30? :whistle:

Shorty66

Enlightened

Yeah, i thought so, too. At least if the H501 runs well on 14500 the H30s only advantage is the price.
Okay, its 15mm shorter, but it also got 6mm more diameter wich makes it less pockatable than the h501 in my opinion.
And i like the option to use standard batterys in the h501 if there you dont got any charged 14500s left.

By the way, shouldn`t it be possible to use AAA or 10440s in the h501,too?
At least if the spring in the endcap is long enought i don`t see any reason why it would work. I know, its stupid to use AAAs in an AA light but if you only got AAAs or 10440s at hand it would be nice to be able to.
For example a friend of mine uses the Garmin Geko 201 Gps device wich uses AAAs to run. If he would have used all the AAs he had taken on a trip, he would possibly still got the AAAs of the GPS which could deliver the desperatly needed bit of illumination.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened

if 1 can find coins small enough, stacking a few may work for AAA cells. :whistle:

still i think the 501 looks much betta (with the bulb slightly recessed) than the H50.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I regularly use a 1/4 inch tall nut as a spacer in some AA lights to allow them to use a AAA. Haven't tried it in the H50. Probably work better in a clicky.

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.