Zebralight H51

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought in summer 2012 a Zebralight H51w
After about two months I bought a H51 cool withe and H600 cool withe.
Since then I've always used H600, rarely H51w.
H51 cool withe been sleeping in his box.

Today I opened the box and made a comparison between H51w and H51, my H51w has a beautiful color, I thought that H51 is identical except for the color, it seems to me that instead of H51 hotspot is smaller.

I did this test inside the house, but I got impression that H51 is less bright than H51w.
I was sure I see the opposite ..
Does anyone have both lights and can tell me something?
At this time Zebralight is doing discounts on Headlamp and I was planning to take another one to keep as a spare, but I'm undecided whether to take the withe cool or neutral.

I am also undecided whether to do this because I think that H 52 is really close to production ... but the H51w gave me great satisfaction and between all my lights is the one with the best color.

I do not understand if I had a H51 strange, it seems to me much less luminous version of the neutral.
Does anyone have the two lights?

Thanks

(Translated with Google translator)

I did the test using two different types of Eneloop.
I repeated using only white Eneloop, maybe a black Eneloop was damaged.
Now it seems like the brightness.
Hotspot of the neutral version, however, seems better (hotspot more bright)

(Translated with Google translator)

markr6

Flashaholic
Stefano, I used to have both the H51 and H51w. My H51 appeared a little brighter. I eventually sold it since it was way too cool, almost blue even compared to other cool white lights from other manufacturers.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stefano, I used to have both the H51 and H51w. My H51 appeared a little brighter. I eventually sold it since it was way too cool, almost blue even compared to other cool white lights from other manufacturers.

My H51 instead has a good color, it's a cool withe "light" very pleasant.
I've always had good luck with the color of the Zebralight, only this hotspot of H51 does not convince me, it seems poorly defined and slightly smaller.

phdinfunk

Newly Enlightened
I got one of the last h51fw's from Zebra before they discontinued them.

I have been using it as semi-EDC for a few weeks. The other night I strapped it to my bike handlebars with a cable-tie and rode through the countryside. The light ran on h2 (low-high) for about 2 hours and a few minutes. I found it bright enough to travel down decent quality roads at a moderate speed....

After a while, it switched automatically to one of the medium modes. That was still usable, but I was straining to see. That ran for maybe 10 or 15 minutes then went to low... which was un-ride-able, so I switched batteries (not too tough to do in the dark, cable-tied to the bars).

I'm a little sketchy about how well this light will hold up for extended tours of duty. When my Malkoff gets here, I'm going to rig a suitable mount up for it.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I'm seeing the H51fw available for sale in Zebralight's "Discontinued Items" page for $49.50. Besides the obvious difference in output, are there compelling reasons to get the H52fw ($65)?

The frosted diffuser lens on the H51fw might be a hack solution... or it might provide a good balance between flood and throw. Are there any "bugs" in the older model that would make it a bad purchase? Can anyone who's owned both headlamps comment?

[edit: the equivalent upgraded model would be the H52fw (not the H502w as originally posted), which shares the 90 degree beam spread and frosted lens as the H51fw. The main difference seems to be going from XP-G to XM-L2 emitter. I would expect the H52fw might be slightly floodier unless the reflector has been changed as well....]

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I'm seeing the H51fw available for sale in Zebralight's "Discontinued Items" page for $49.50. Besides the obvious difference in output, are there compelling reasons to get the H52fw ($65)?

The frosted diffuser lens on the H51fw might be a hack solution... or it might provide a good balance between flood and throw. Are there any "bugs" in the older model that would make it a bad purchase? Can anyone who's owned both headlamps comment?

[edit: the equivalent upgraded model would be the H52fw (not the H502w as originally posted), which shares the 90 degree beam spread and frosted lens as the H51fw. The main difference seems to be going from XP-G to XM-L2 emitter. I would expect the H52fw might be slightly floodier unless the reflector has been changed as well....]

I think the main differences are:
-14500 Li-ion support (with a much brighter high only attainable with Li-ion)
-slightly higher output / runtime
-additional beacon/strobe
-battery level check
-programmable medium and low modes
-slightly smaller and lighter

Thats what I can come up with quickly, if anyone has anything else to add feel free.

Its up to you whether these warrant the additional cost. For me, I am upgrading (H51w > H52w). Individually each isnt significant, but many of those new features I'll make use of, so together it warrants it. Biggest thing I am worried about is tint though, I love my H51w tint.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIΩDΣ;4304100 said:
Biggest thing I am worried about is tint though, I love my H51w tint.
This is it for me too. I'm not happy with Zebralights XM-L2s neutral tints. I love their XP-Gs in neutral though. I have the H501w and like it, but wanted something with less flood and brighter in the center/useable area of the beam. You'll get that with the H51Fw as well as more throw. The medium settings are good for most tasks, where the H501w required the hi setting, (for me) so runtime will improve with the H51Fw.

After seeing this post, I ordered 1 from the ZL discontinued page.

Looks like I got the last one. :ironic:

markr6

Flashaholic
The H51w was a nice tint. The new XM-L2 NW emitters look like puke, but I just had to learn to live with it. Ordered H52w and H600w MKII in addition to my SC52w :shakehead