Zebralight SC52 Owner's Thread

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I did get mine Today after all and it is Sweeeeet!
Somehow it seems a lot smaller in the hand than the SC80 but they are pretty closely sized standing next to each other?

Mine has a nice white tint from what I can tell in Daylight and works fine with AA and 14500 and seems brighter on the 14500.
This little thing is a Beast for how tiny it is. Between this and the 502 I am happy to have the power and flexibility they provide.
My SC600 is the W version and it is a dramatic difference in color but at least my other ZL are white with minimal Green.

Also great service from GG for me too!

Ed

Pretbek

Newly Enlightened
You just have not been some place dark enough, or given your eyes time to adjust to the darkness. Try it somewheres completely dark. My girlfriend acts like 0.01 Lm is a spot light when her Parents come home.

That's funny. I am looking forward to the low lows with the SC52, which has a hot spot. The flood-only H502d on 0.09 Lm is quite dim, great for very dark settings, I have not used its 0.01 Lm yet. I can imagine that 0.01 Lm will be quite sufficient with the SC52's 12 degree hot spot. Monday, Monday, please hurry up. :)

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SC52 today, and recently got a SC51 too. The output is great on a 14500! My tint is a bit yellow (just like my SC600 was). But the main thing I dislike about the SC52 is the pocket clip. The SC51's clip is great, but the wider head of the SC52, along with the machined scallops in the tube, make for an overly tight, pocket shredding clip situation. I managed to bend mine a little to relax its vice grip a bit, but it still tends to drag the fabric past all those little ridges as it's withdrawn from the pocket. Other than the clip (and my yellow tint), this is an awesome light!

I'm looking forward to the new SC600 too.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine over the weekend and put it through my DSLR lumen meter comparing it other AA/moonlight lights like the QAAX, D25A clicky, T10, and its own sibling, the H51w. My summary is as follows:

- Fit, finish, and tint all good. Great ZL UI, button safe from accidental activation now. A slight greenish tint but only noticable in side-by-side white wall comparisons.
- Brightest AA light I have, but it doesn't double the competition above as the various listed specs might suggest. Either the ZL specs are overstated on a ThruSevensTac ANSI scale or the competition is understated under the ZebraBuilt ANSI scale. But I figure it is ~ 1/3rd brighter than my QAAX, the closest competitor, on either battery. You'll need equipment to measure that though, I doubt anyone can visually see it given the tint and beam differences.
- Biggest disappointment are all the modes on the low lumen bank (my most often used levels), they're off by mile, even by ZL's own generous lumen scale. The 0.34 moonlight mode is half as bright as my H51w (0.18), a third as bright as the QAAX (0.3) and even dimmer than the ThruNite's firefly (0.09). The low mode (2.7) is just under half as bright as the QAAX (also 2.7). This carries on to the incredible runtime figures that ZL has spec'd - almost triple the QAAX's moonlight and low runtimes. Given these modes are actually about 1/2-1/3rd as bright, the runtimes now make sense and seem ordinary...(although I was highly skeptical from the beginning).
- I have posted more detailed discussion, lumen charts and tint pictures in the other SC52 thread, if anyone is interested.

A great light from Zebralight and one that I will happily include in my EDC rotation, but it doesn't knock any of my other favorite AA/moonlights lights off their pedestals. All things considered, including price, warranty and customer service, the SC52, QAAX, D25A, and T10 all come in on a tie for my own personal use. However, I will not gift or recommend this light to family or friends until ZL comes up with an industry standard warranty. In contrast, I have multiple copies of the other three lights waiting to go for the holidays.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine over the weekend and put it through my DSLR lumen meter comparing it other AA/moonlight lights like the QAAX, D25A clicky, T10, and its own sibling, the H51w. My summary is as follows:

- Fit, finish, and tint all good. Great ZL UI, button safe from accidental activation now. A slight greenish tint but only noticable in side-by-side white wall comparisons.
- Brightest AA light I have, but it doesn't double the competition above as the various listed specs might suggest. Either the ZL specs are overstated on a ThruSevensTac ANSI scale or the competition is understated under the ZebraBuilt ANSI scale. But I figure it is ~ 1/3rd brighter than my QAAX, the closest competitor, on either battery. You'll need equipment to measure that though, I doubt anyone can visually see it given the tint and beam differences.
- Biggest disappointment are all the modes on the low lumen bank (my most often used levels), they're off by mile, even by ZL's own generous lumen scale. The 0.34 moonlight mode is half as bright as my H51w (0.18), a third as bright as the QAAX (0.3) and even dimmer than the ThruNite's firefly (0.09). The low mode (2.7) is just under half as bright as the QAAX (also 2.7). This carries on to the incredible runtime figures that ZL has spec'd - almost triple the QAAX's moonlight and low runtimes. Given these modes are actually about 1/2-1/3rd as bright, the runtimes now make sense and seem ordinary...(although I was highly skeptical from the beginning).
- I have posted more detailed discussion, lumen charts and tint pictures in the other SC52 thread, if anyone is interested.

A great light from Zebralight and one that I will happily include in my EDC rotation, but it doesn't knock any of my other favorite AA/moonlights lights off their pedestals. All things considered, including price, warranty and customer service, the SC52, QAAX, D25A, and T10 all come in on a tie for my own personal use. However, I will not gift or recommend this light to family or friends until ZL comes up with an industry standard warranty. In contrast, I have multiple copies of the other three lights waiting to go for the holidays.

Well said! Hard to find a light which will rival the QAAX's moonlight and runtime. But a worthy addition to the EDC rotation indeed. :)

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
I received mine today. I can't believe how small it is, and bright.. It's much smaller then it looks. Build quality is amazing and it feels good in hand. The UI is solid, full of options and can take a little getting use to. I know it well already, but I wouldn't be surprised if I find something else new. With all the brightness options you can get just about any light level desired, similar to a variable control ring light, but with defined runtimes.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

excellent summary, very helpful. thank you very much for the clear assessment and honesty. you have multiple copies of the best AA flashlights on the market and you dont overlook things. i fully trust your posts, measurements and opinion. your posts are much more helpful and for real than any reviewer's review who got sponsored by the manufacturer. i also liked how you differentiate between ThruSevensTac ANSI scale vs. ZebraBuiltCore ANSI scale. From other reviews, e.g. mev's measurements, i also get the impression that Eagletac numbers are understated and Nitecore numbers are overstated. Klarus numbers too. The most accurate and truthful numbers, runtimes and lumens, are imho stated by Fenix. The Fenix ANSI scale is in the middle between the ThruSevensTac ANSI scale and the ZebraBuiltCoreRus ANSI scale, and hits the numbers exactly and honestly.

the limiting factors in the whole discussion are however our eyes, the subjective perception of 100lm brightness differences, and most of all the beam pattern and tint. it is very difficult to compare the brightness of a greenish CW tint against a creamish NW tint. the greenish might be brighter (lumens) but the NW, since it is whiter, would look brighter (perception).

EDC fans should do it like you, get them all: QAAX, SC52, D25A .. and choose different options: emitter and tint :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really appreciate the vote of confidence Shelm, thanks. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem worth the effort, people don't seem to want to hear anything but frosting and cake. Going against the grain doesn't make any friends and it starts to feel like Obama at an NRA convention.

The multiple ANSI scale thing is worrisome though - in my mind it can only lead to less transparency and more BS from what are some still very honest companies... but honest at their own detriment. One little squeaking mouse ain't going to do squat in a zoo, and even a zoo is equally squat in comparison to the jungle (buying public). Smoke and mirrors are the way forward.

May need to look into an RMA now, sounds like at least my L1 mode is defective.

stp

Newly Enlightened
The multiple ANSI scale thing is worrisome though - in my mind it can only lead to less transparency and more BS from what are some still very honest companies... but honest at their own detriment. One little squeaking mouse ain't going to do squat in a zoo, and even a zoo is equally squat in comparison to the jungle (buying public). Smoke and mirrors are the way forward.

There is only one ANSI scale. If ZL overstates their measures more than lets say 5% (to cover differences between leds from the same bin) they are at fault. If Thrunite or 4sevens understates their measures by more than 5% then they are at fault. After somebody will test it with integrated sphere we will know which company is at fault. It's pretty simple.

asval

Newly Enlightened
Really appreciate the vote of confidence Shelm, thanks. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem worth the effort, people don't seem to want to hear anything but frosting and cake. Going against the grain doesn't make any friends and it starts to feel like Obama at an NRA convention.

May need to look into an RMA now, sounds like at least my L1 mode is defective.

2nd what Shelm said, thanks for your review. I was considering buying it but found some pictures on the mode that I was looking forwards too and it didn't seem to be bright enough at that range.

Left: SC52 AA 0.34 lumens, RIght: EC2 2 lumens
jb1vsoe7wOEUkc.jpg

Left: SC52 AA 2.7 lumens, RIght: EC2 2 lumens
jniD1RHCxloU7.jpg

Granted that a photograph isn't as good as seeing the light in person, but the fact that there are 2 lights in the same picture helps give you a better comparison. Could anyone tell me if you could read a book or an e-reader comfortably in the .34 lumens setting?

CVLPA

Newly Enlightened
Could anyone tell me if you could read a book or an e-reader comfortably in the .34 lumens setting?
Yes. I use that setting and my eye sight is poor in darkness. And I use a Kindle 3rd gen.

Last edited:

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
The lens does not have the slight purple tint when viewed from an angle that often identifies AR coatings.
Mine has the "purple coating", it's very light but it's there ;)

0.34 Lumens are more than enough to read, no problem. And IRL, it's not that greenish tint we can see on your photo.

Last edited:

LEDburn

Enlightened
I was just admiring my new '52 and my girlfriend (who isn't very flashlight literate) commented that she noticed it was a lot "whiter" than my other lights, of which all are neutral or warm.
I'm not sure if she cared but I asked if she thought it looked slightly green, blue or yellow to which she said she couldn't tell - this was on med and high.

I'm starting to come back around to cooler tints and think that this light around 5000-5500K would be perfect. I know it's a different emitter but I really, really like the tint of my h502d.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has the "purple coating", it's very light but it's there ;)

Ah yes. I just checked again shining a light at an angle onto the lens and I can see the slight purple tint. So yes, the SC52 does have a light AR coating.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my SC52 in a little while ago. Very nice light, definitely my brightest light of that size. Output on AA is great and on 14500 li ion it is amazing relative to the size. Liking the ui quite a bit and little features like the battery tester are much appreciated. Beam is quite floody and good for edc. Colour is good, a smidge green on the very lows only, but white at high levels and mids.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope mine is under the tree... only 2+ days to find out... if not... it will be on Santa's second sleigh.