Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Valmet62

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

How difficult would it be to modify this light to accept a 3000K XML emitter ?

Valmet62

jeffkruse

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Is there a place to attach a lanyard? I'll need a lanyard when I use it for caving.

funkychateau

Enlightened
Current-Draw Measurements and Strobe Duty?

You mentioned that some cells might not be able to sustain the high current for the full 5 minutes. What was the current on Max? Also, did you check the current draw on any of the other modes?

When using the 4-Hz strobe, was is actually like a "strobe"? In other words, short flashes? Or was it just an on/off blinking with approximately 50% duty?

thanks!

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

@jeffkruse: No there isn't, unless you were to make something by tying paracord around the indented part by the tail cap. But there is no lanyard mount.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Any thoughts on using the SC600 in max mode for extended periods of time and how heat buildup in the body affects the actual handling of the light (in hand) in a relative sense compared to other similar flashlights?
Can't say I noticed anything unusual during regular handling, but all extended runtimes are done under a cooling fan. Zebralights claims to have efficient thermal management, and I haven't seen anything to make me think there's a problem.

Is there a place to attach a lanyard? I'll need a lanyard when I use it for caving.
No, unless you try to jury-rig something around the clip (not a good idea, as it could come off).

You mentioned that some cells might not be able to sustain the high current for the full 5 minutes. What was the current on Max? Also, did you check the current draw on any of the other modes?
When using the 4-Hz strobe, was is actually like a "strobe"? In other words, short flashes? Or was it just an on/off blinking with approximately 50% duty?
I wasn't able to measure the current on Max (can be hard with electronic switches). That statement is based on the experience others have had on similarly heavily-driven lights.

As for the strobe, it seems to be ~50% duty cycle. You can see on (upward) spike and off (downward) spike on the oscilloscope traces.

wink2769

Newly Enlightened

Great job. Thanks a lot.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interestingly enough, the SureFire Model Z33 lanyard ring would be nearly perfect. It's got the right diameter (almost perfectly so) but it's too thick for the tailcap to be tightened down enough for the light to be turned on.

Of course, on the SureFires it fits there's extra space designed into the bodies to accommodate the lanyard ring. If there were a 23 mm inner diameter "flat" lanyard ring to be had somewhere, maybe it would work, as long as it could be slipped into the very narrow space on the opposite side of the o-ring from the tailcap -- and there is a tiny bit of space available to work with just past the o-ring.

Maybe one of these SureFire rings could even be ground down flat enough to work as long as it could be placed on the opposite side of the o-ring, which should enable the tailcap to maintain its ability to keep water out.

Use of the lanyard ring as I have it placed in this photo would make the flashlight no longer waterproof (unless it could perhaps be sandwiched between two o-rings with plenty of lube) and maybe used with some kind of spacer inside the body tube (probably an inadvisable thing).

Just for grins, here's a pic of the fit with the Z33 lanyard kit ring (again, too thick to work).

110826-0002.jpg

I think it can be seen in the following shot that if a thin enough lanyard ring could be found -- or made -- something very flat at possiby .5 mm thick and over 22 mm inner diameter, probably 23 to 24 mm inner diameter, there should be room for it with the tailcap tightened fully down as it is in the photo. Such placement shouldn't compromise the waterproofing.

Then again, there are probably much easier solutions... ;)

110826-0008.jpg

Last edited:

silat

Newly Enlightened

Encore. Oscar.
The video is a great addition to your already outstanding reviews.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

SC600007.jpg

Selfbuilt,

Your review inspired my purchase of this light.

Here are two simple quick fixes for the lanyard problem.

I cut a long 1/4" wide strip from 3/4"black plastic tape and wrapped it once completely around the clip groove. Then I laid the loop of a small lanyard in the tape path and wound another four revolutions of tape around that. Then I fixed the lanyard within its own loop. It is very secure and easily resisted a hard pull though it doesn't look particularly elegant.

As I describe in a later post, using strong gray nylon thread instead of tape is a better-looking fix. An elegant solution really depends on the clever folks at Zebralight. Perhaps this thread will help in that direction.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

izaic3

Newly Enlightened

Amazing review (as always), thank you very much! Anyone have a guess as to when a neutral version might come out?

RBWNY

Enlightened

Great review! (your video looks just like one of Marshall's :naughty:)

Because of it, I put in a Going Gear order. They're out of stock right now, but anticipating their new shipment might arrive this week.

Amazing review (as always), thank you very much! Anyone have a guess as to when a neutral version might come out?

Illumunation Gear's website has the SC600w listed w/a "coming soon" banner and then 4th Quarter w/a question mark :shrug:.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Because of it, I put in a Going Gear order. They're out of stock right now, but anticipating their new shipment might arrive this week.

Not to take anything away from Going Gear, but I believe you could order one straight from the zebralight.com website as in stock ($95) -- in case you were wondering about sources where they seem to be in stock now.

edc3

Enlightened

Zebralight's product comparison spreadsheet says September 2011. I'm hoping for September 1st, but I'm sure they mean sometime in September. I read something in another thread that they're having difficulty getting their preferred tint in quantity or something like that. I'm glad they're very picky about tint. :thumbsup:

Burgess

Flashaholic

I'm waiting for a Neutral SC600 myself.

:popcorn:

I'm also well-aware that " September " can easily mean " Christmas ".

:whistle:
_

RBWNY

Enlightened

Not to take anything away from Going Gear, but I believe you could order one straight from the zebralight.com website as in stock ($95) -- in case you were wondering about sources where they seem to be in stock now.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that! BUT... with GG, I used their coupon & get free shipping too :)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that! BUT... with GG, I used their coupon & get free shipping too :)

Good points... ;)

I've been spending too much time looking at the ZebraLight specs and I guess I have their stock memorized now. :ironic:

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Perhaps lack of a lanyard loop is unimportant to many buyers.
After losing an expensive light on a hike I never use a light without one. About my improvised lanyard holders; I found a better-looking solution. Instead of tape I used strong gray nylon thread. It is extremely secure and looks pretty good.

Brightnorm

jeffkruse

Newly Enlightened

Perhaps lack of a lanyard loop is unimportant to many buyers.
After losing an expensive light on a hike I never use a light without one. About my improvised lanyard holders; I found a better-looking solution. Instead of tape I used strong gray nylon thread. It is extremely secure and looks pretty good.

Brightnorm

Yes, I need a lanyard. It's to easy to drop a light in the river in the cave. It also can't be intrusive. Thats a big bummer!

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with the above two posts. The exclusion of a lanyard attachment and no clip like the ones present on their other SC models is a bummer, but I love the light and am glad I got it. I hope someone comes up with a good solution for these two omissions. Right now, I am carrying mine in an SF L1 holster.

LamontGrady

Newly Enlightened

Count me in on preferring neutral tint options.