Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

My lanyard solutions, as described previously work very well.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Perhaps lack of a lanyard loop is unimportant to many buyers.
After losing an expensive light on a hike I never use a light without one. About my improvised lanyard holders; I found a better-looking solution. Instead of tape I used strong gray nylon thread. It is extremely secure and looks pretty good.

Brightnorm

My solutions, as described previously work very well.

Brightnorm

Do you have an easy way to post a photo? I'm curious as to how it looks (as I bet others are).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can't you guys who want lanyards just put it through the hole in the clip? I know it may not be the strongest but I put the clip on and ran a Fenix lanyard in the clip hole and then simulated accidental drops, the clip and lanyard stayed on.

siuba

Newly Enlightened

nice review, i m looking for sunwayman v20c comparsion too :)

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I never use flashlight clips, but I had originally tried the clip/lanyard but was disatisfied with its bulkiness and klugy look.

Do you have an easy way to post a photo? I'm curious as to how it looks (as I bet others are).
Sorry, I don't know how to do that.

Brightnorm

Burgess

Flashaholic

to brightnorm --

Am i to understand that you've been a CPF member for TEN YEARS,
and yet you don't know how to post a photograph here ? ? ?

:poke:
_

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Amazing as it may sound, it's true!

BN

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, I don't know how to do that.

Brightnorm

I'd be happy to post a pic on your behalf if wanted to try and e-mail me one. (Just a thought.)

What I more or less envision you talking about is similar to the way someone who builds or repairs fishing rods would thread-wrap a line guide to a pole.

The idea of thread wrapping some kind of lanyard ring into place like that would work well and if done right would hold very well. There are several kinds of loops that could fairly easily be wrapped into place like that and would look really good as a natural part of the body, especially if using a thread color that either matched or complemented the body color. And thread wraps can be sealed for extra strength and durability for anyone who might want to make the wrap a relatively permanent thing (but it could still be removed at any time, too).

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

are there any quality issues with this light? the tailcap looks like it has dirty soldering lead and at the base of the reflector, you can see some sort of damage. There were issues in the past with non-centered LED with the Zebralight so i'm not surprised if their latest offering has quality issues as well.

too sad for a light of its kind and price point.

my hk supplier said that the beam of this SC600 is not as impressive as... lets say the Fenix PD31. (yeah i know, different LED) But still, you'd expect more from a light this expensive. Example? Compare this to the Jetbeam 3M XML, now that looks worth every penny. Though the interface is not pleasing to some people.

This light is a pass for me then. But on a positive note, the Zebralight interface is still one of the best in the business!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

are there any quality issues with this light? the tailcap looks like it has dirty soldering lead and at the base of the reflector, you can see some sort of damage.
I agree the tailcap soldering looks fairly basic on my sample, but I wouldn't say the reflector is damaged. With all the reflections, it's hard to to tell with macro shots (i.e. somewhat dependent on camera angle).

my hk supplier said that the beam of this SC600 is not as impressive as... lets say the Fenix PD31. (yeah i know, different LED) But still, you'd expect more from a light this expensive.
The beam of the SC600 is quite good. There is some artifacting in the corona around the hotspot, but this is very minor and only noticeable at really close range on max. I have seen a lot worse on other XM-L lights (and I comment on it in the review if it seems distracting).

I'm not sure what qualifies as "impressive" to your contact, but comparing a 300-lumen XP-G light with a 800-lumen XM-L light is rather difficult. Judging from the specs, the max throw distance is about the same. The PD31 should have a more sharply defined hotspot, but will have much dimmer spill, given the much lower output.

i8mtm

Newly Enlightened

I received my SC600 from IlluminationGear.com yesterday. I love this light. I think it may be a tad large for true pocket carry, but I asked IlluminationGear to send the holster they recommended. I wanted one that would accommodate the light with the clip attached so I had both options.

Then sent a Raine "Camp Knife Sheath" Model #0004. It is made of Nylon and has a Velcro cover flap and a Velcro belt loop. It fits the SC600 perfectly. Carried on my belt, I hardly know it is there, and that frees up valuable pocket space for my other "necessary" EDC gear.

Everyone I have shown this light to is very impressed by the size/performance ratio. It is true they are not cheap, but I think they represent good value. I already have an order in for for the SC600w version. Can't wait to compare. However, the tint of the cool white I received is very nice.

edc3

Enlightened

... I already have an order in for for the SC600w version. Can't wait to compare. However, the tint of the cool white I received is very nice.

If you don't mind my asking, who did you order the SC600w from? I've been waiting for it and haven't even seen it on pre-order. Thanks!

sfcablecar

Newly Enlightened

Outstanding and thorough review. Thank you.

Helped me choose my next light. :twothumbs

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened

If you don't mind my asking, who did you order the SC600w from? I've been waiting for it and haven't even seen it on pre-order. Thanks!

Correct. As far as I know the SC600w isn't available yet.

SlavaKey

Newly Enlightened

Hello to all!
I've got ZL SC600 several days ago and I wonder how it's perfect.
Unfortunately, there was no pocket clip in the box:ironic:.
The clip was ordered from ZL, they promised to deliver it for free:whistle:.
So, welcome to me to CPF:wave:, I've just registered.
Via.

infinus

Newly Enlightened

Is the turbo boost in the first few minutes just as well regulated? For example, once half the battery is drained will it still reach the same initial brightness when not hot?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello to all!
I've got ZL SC600 several days ago and I wonder how it's perfect.
Unfortunately, there was no pocket clip in the box:ironic:.
The clip was ordered from ZL, they promised to deliver it for free:whistle:.
So, welcome to me to CPF:wave:, I've just registered.
Via.

By the way -- :welcome: :thumbsup:

Glow_Worm

Newly Enlightened

Is the turbo boost in the first few minutes just as well regulated? For example, once half the battery is drained will it still reach the same initial brightness when not hot?

It's probably about as good as it can be, as shown in the graph below. I did a run-time test on Turbo when I first got mine (w/ fan cooling), toggling from H1 to H2 and back to H1 every time the brightness kicked down (about every 5:30 min on my unit).

ZL%20SC600%20Turbo%20Runtime.png

I did this because I felt the 2-hr H1 run-time rating was a bit misleading under my "normal" usage conditions. I typically never use H1 for more than 5 mins at a time; instead, I use Max for maybe a minute or two, and then drop down to H2 or M1 or lower. Thus, I pull max power all the time it's on H1, and don't get the benefit of the lower 500 Lumen draw when it drops down. Under those conditions, the battery lasts for about 1 hour total.

This is still really excellent efficiency, and it explains why my battery runs low a bit faster than might be expected by the 2-hr Max output rating.

Latest posts