Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI BUY IT!

ven

Flashaholic
Question - what are the risks/concerns regarding charging unprotected 18650 cells? I have a Nitecore D4 charger at home...

Most at chargers have a spec + or - 0.05v so lowest 4.15 and highest 4.25 is actually in spec! As said ideally you want termination at 4.2v .

Now I am not saying it's right or to do it, so an example. Over the last couple of years by mistake (user error !) I have charged a pany B to 4.3v and an INR to 4.35v! Wrong setting basically after charging some 4.35v cells(16650's to be exact). No issues at all, may have lost a cycle or two of their life, but if I get 298 or 300....who cares or counts! It's still years of use.......So they are tough cells and can/will take abuse which of course I am not recommending .

The NC charger is a good one, so charge let it finish and terminate, check V for piece of mind and enjoy! Maybe periodically ( every 5 charges, every 10!....what suits you). Just treat the same as protected....with the usual respect :)

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies to my question... I still feel a bit nervous/apprehensive at times about the Lithium-Ion cells and their usage (currently only using 18650/16340 protected cells in 2 of my Olight flashlights)...

Does anyone know if the beam profile on the SC600 is similar to the SC5? Or distinct/different? What I like about the SC5 beam profile is how the hot spot diffuses/blends well with the spill... On other lights, when there is too much of a defined hot spot that sharply contrasts with the spill (I can find it to be distracting on my eyes when shining the light)...

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Package received but the standard version was shipped :( there goes the fun..

The dealer sent you the regular MK3w and not the HI version? Bummer to hear that happened :( Hopefully they'll make things right for you! The MK3 HI really is an excellent little light and now my go to ZL.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's a waste to return it. Just give the MKIII to me and order another HI for yourself. I'm too cheap to actually PAY for an MKIII.

davepen

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please clear up the battery confusion surrounding this light? Protected? Unprotected? 3400mAh? 3100mAh?

I just got mine in the mail only to find out my batteries don't work with it.

They are branded AW IC and have a red stripe on the label, 18650 3100mAh.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Capacity isn't a factor, only physical size. In short, however, most any flat top unprotected cell will work.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Can someone please clear up the battery confusion surrounding this light? Protected? Unprotected? 3400mAh? 3100mAh?

I just got mine in the mail only to find out my batteries don't work with it.

They are branded AW IC and have a red stripe on the label, 18650 3100mAh.
You should purchase an unprotected NCR18650GA from illumn. If you don't like using unprotected cells you could return your flashlight.

tops2

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies to my question... I still feel a bit nervous/apprehensive at times about the Lithium-Ion cells and their usage (currently only using 18650/16340 protected cells in 2 of my Olight flashlights)...

Does anyone know if the beam profile on the SC600 is similar to the SC5? Or distinct/different? What I like about the SC5 beam profile is how the hot spot diffuses/blends well with the spill... On other lights, when there is too much of a defined hot spot that sharply contrasts with the spill (I can find it to be distracting on my eyes when shining the light)...

As I recall from advice here and looking at pictures, it looks like the SC63w may give more similar beam compared to SC5w. But drawback sounds like SC63w holds the highest level pretty short due lack of mass and heat build up.

I also don't like well defined/strong hotspot, but all the raves about the HI version makes it so hard to resist. **Must**resist**. Lol..I'm impatiently awaiting for the hi CRI version that a lot of others are waiting for too.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should purchase an unprotected NCR18650GA from illumn. If you don't like using unprotected cells you could return your flashlight.

This is my recommendation, as well. The Samsung INR18650-30Q is another battery that works great in the new ZebraLights.

ZebraLight described the protection circuitry it builds into the Mk. III. It is better than the protection circuits you get with batteries.

Hey!

Zebralight actually responded to my email about where they source their parts from! The MkIII actually is mostly made of US sourced parts. This is the response they sent me. Vishay has manufacturing plants on 3 continents and Israel.

Subject: MkIII Electronics

Here are some of the major components and materials in the SC600 Mk III (HI):

- one IC, from Dallas, TX based Texas Instruments
- the rest (3) ICs, from Chandler, AZ based Microchip Technology
- all (3) MOSFETs from Shelton, CT based Vishay Intertechnology
- one inductor from Cary, IL based Coilcraft
- aluminum bars from Foothill, CA based Kaiser Aluminum
- glass mostly from Corning, NY based Corning (over 80% of the lens in the flashlights and headlamps we produced recently are Corning Gorilla Glass 3. You still have a 20% chance of not getting the gorilla glass though)
- LED from Durham, NC based Cree

The most important part of a battery protection circuitry is the MOSFET. Currently Vishay is the world's number one brand in the low voltage MOSFET field, period. The MOSFETs we use in the SC600 Mk III as well as all of our other lights are some of the best from Vishay. I don't know any good 18650 protection ICs/MOSFETs from Japan. There are some so-so but cheap protection ICs from Seiko that are popular in China, but you won't find them in any high performance li-ion systems. One problem in the current 18650 protection scheme is that the protection board is a separate entity, next (at the -end or +end) to the battery. Wires connecting the protection board and the battery could be damaged (or even shorted) from drops, punches, or cuts, etc., because the thin plastic wrapper is just that, a thin plastic wrapper.

Hope this clears some things up for folks. I am greatly pleased by ZL's prompt and detailed reply!

davepen

Newly Enlightened
Capacity isn't a factor, only physical size. In short, however, most any flat top unprotected cell will work.

My batteries are only a millimeter or so longer. When I put them in the light, I could still get the tailcap to screw almost completely down. They're also fully charged. Why wouldn't a slightly longer battery still power the light? Assuming the light is not defective, that is...

Anders

Enlightened
Hi there.
I ordered this light directly from zebralight.com

I also ordered two of the NCR18650GA from http://eu.nkon.nl.

The two cells came a couple a days ago and I saw on the web page at nkon that they won't recommend these cells in this light?
So I ordered the one they recommended instead....LG INR18650 3500mAh

This is the message from this site: "This light needs batteries of 65mm long, it does not work with protected batteries (like from Keeppower, EagleTac or Enerpower) because these are too long. Unfortunately it also does not work with the Sanyo NCR18650GA, because it is a little bit too short. This causes the light to turn off when you shake the SC600w a little bit. "

http://eu.nkon.nl/zebralight-flashlights/zebralight-sc600-mk3-xhp35-nw-high-intesity.html

Is this something you noticed with the NCR18650GA?

Thanks/Anders

TheRealSpinner

Newly Enlightened
I actually ran into an interesting issue with my MKIII standard (hadn't received my HI version yet). I tripped and fell with the light in my pocket, and didn't really notice anything until the next evening when I went to actually use the torch… the light would flicker when I shook it. I pulled the battery (I'm using the battery that ZL sells on their site- Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A 18650 Li-ion Battery) and noticed 3 little dents in the top of the cell.

Apparently, when I fell, there was enough impact to ram the battery into the pogo springs at the top and dent the cell. What I did to fix it, was grab my knife point and pry up the raised portion. The dents are still there, but it works fine again, with no flickering when I shake it. 😊

TheRealSpinner

Newly Enlightened
Since the falling incident, I received the HI version, and tried a fresh Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A 18650 Li-ion Battery in it. It works fine. I tried shaking it, and no flicker. I do hear a little rattle, but only when I REALLY shake it.