Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI BUY IT!

Connor

Enlightened
This is the message from this site: "This light needs batteries of 65mm long, it does not work with protected batteries (like from Keeppower, EagleTac or Enerpower) because these are too long. Unfortunately it also does not work with the Sanyo NCR18650GA, because it is a little bit too short. This causes the light to turn off when you shake the SC600w a little bit. "

You can safely ignore that message, I have both the Sanyo GAs and the LG MJ1s (2 of each) and they're the same length and both work and fit fine in my Zebralight SC63w (which had the same warning written next to it on the NKON website until recently).

Last edited:

Anders

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply TheRealSpinner and Connor.

Was a bit surprised by the message, anyway I'll got four cells to the light now^^

Anders

Last edited:

davepen

Newly Enlightened
When you design a light that uses the 18650, it should be compatible with ALL 18650 cells. They need to clarify the crap documentation on their web site, too.

What a pain in the ***.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you design a light that uses the 18650, it should be compatible with ALL 18650 cells. They need to clarify the crap documentation on their web site, too.

What a pain in the ***.

That's why I'm not buying one. I already have Eagletac 18650 3500 mAh 10A and Efest 18650 3100mAh high drain cells; but I can't use either for this light. :shakehead

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a pain in the ***.
They do clarify it on their website.

In the description of the SC600 Mk III from Zebralight's website:

"Battery: One 18650 size (i.e. unprotected, 65.0-65.2 mm long) 3.6-4.35V li-ion rechargeable. Batteries are not included in the package."

Connor

Enlightened

What part of
"Battery: One 18650 size (i.e. unprotected, 65.0-65.2 mm long) 3.6-4.35V li-ion rechargeable. Batteries are not included in the package."
didn't you understand? :nana:

They're compatible with basically all unprotected 18650 cells that adhere to spec. Unprotected cells are the standard for 18650 cells.
Also Zebralights are some of the most compact flashlights on the market .. you can't do that if you add an extra centimetre for battery wiggle room. ;)

Last edited:

Koam

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to these lights and was wondering if you can use a protected 18650 in this light provided you had a spacer/sleeve/tube to make the connection between the body and end cap. The cap wouldn't screw on all the way so the o-ring wouldn't seal but would the light function? Is there something about the lights electronics that would not allow a protected battery to work? I noticed my Nitecore 18650 does slip into the body of my Zebralight, just a tiny bit tighter than the ZL unprotected batteries.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to these lights and was wondering if you can use a protected 18650 in this light provided you had a spacer/sleeve/tube to make the connection between the body and end cap. The cap wouldn't screw on all the way so the o-ring wouldn't seal but would the light function? Is there something about the lights electronics that would not allow a protected battery to work? I noticed my Nitecore 18650 does slip into the body of my Zebralight, just a tiny bit tighter than the ZL unprotected batteries.

An easier solution would be to scrape off the anodizing on the threads. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the whole point of anodizing threads is to enable the quarter-turn lockout feature.

probably easier than trying to fabricate a spacer to fit the battery and from what I read, the none of the sc600 flavors have significant drain for you to need to lock it out that often. Just need to make sure it doesn't accidentally turn on in your pocket.

Koam

Newly Enlightened
So there's nothing about the electronics that would stop a protected 18650 from working, and the light wouldn't be damaged using a protected 18650?

kj2's "no" answer is strictly related to the difference in lengths of the two batteries which I acknowledged in my first post?

kj2

Flashaholic
Electronics inside the light have no problems with a protected cell. It's the length that causes the issue. But there are numerous replies about that, so I'm amazed that 'does a protected battery fit/work' is still asked. Plus ZL tells you what to use, so it should be very clear.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there's nothing about the electronics that would stop a protected 18650 from working, and the light wouldn't be damaged using a protected 18650?

kj2's "no" answer is strictly related to the difference in lengths of the two batteries which I acknowledged in my first post?

Basically protected 18650 cells are too long, the margin for these is very tight and anything more than 65.2mm long (a protected cell basically) will be too long. I suppose if you want to remove the anodizing on the threads you MIGHT be able to get it to work but you'll lose the waterproofing and ability to lock the light out also. Assuming one could fit and you remove the anodizing, in theory, it would work. You wouldn't be able to screw the tailcap down much at all though. If it were me I would just buy a few unprotected cells or return it to ZL if that's not an option.

Also someone mentioned tripping and falling with the light. My NCR18650ga cells are a tight fit in both my MK3 HI and SC63w and just the pressure from fully tightening the tailcap causes the positive end to slightly dip with three little indents. It doesn't affect performance at all and no rattle on mine either.

kj2

Flashaholic
Removing the ano on the threads still won't make it work. The battery tube needs to touch the 'golden' ring on the pcb board inside the tailcap. If it had a rear clicky, removing ano on the threads would be enough. It's so simple. It needs a unprotected cell!

Koam

Newly Enlightened
I understand that the length is the issue and acknowledged it in my first post. I was asking about using some sort of spacer that would allow protected cells to be used as an option. One could take copper wire of the correct gauge (about the thickness of the tube) and wrap it around a battery for correct diameter, making basically a spring that would make the connection allowing one to use protected batteries in a pinch. Yes, you lose the o-ring seal (also acknowledged) but it seems like an easy solution if you really need the light and your unprotected batteries are dead. Am I missing something?

cp2315

Enlightened
The answer is probably yes. I had a similar situation with a modded light which probably only take the smallest 16340. Problem was the body tube end does not touch the connection part in the tail cap( the circle around the spring). What I came up was cutting an outer spring of a p60 drop in and inserted half of it into the tail cap. Problem with this solution is maybe you cannot lock out the light by a small turn of the light. You may need a couple of more turns.

and truth is this is a great light, it worth its own battery even it is the only light that can use this battery ( of course not the situation here). and the perfect battery for it can be purchased conveniently with the light. And it is only $8 for a very good cell of 3500 mA. So you really should just buy the battery for convenience and capacity.

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened
I understand that the length is the issue and acknowledged it in my first post. I was asking about using some sort of spacer that would allow protected cells to be used as an option. One could take copper wire of the correct gauge (about the thickness of the tube) and wrap it around a battery for correct diameter, making basically a spring that would make the connection allowing one to use protected batteries in a pinch. Yes, you lose the o-ring seal (also acknowledged) but it seems like an easy solution if you really need the light and your unprotected batteries are dead. Am I missing something?

Yes, that would probably work. The only thing you're possibly missing is that it's really easier and just as safe to use unprotected cells in this light. ;-)

Last edited:

Koam

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that would probably work. The only thing you're possibly missing is that it's really easier and just as safe to use unprotected cells in this light. ;-)

And that's why I bought unprotected batteries from ZL when I bought my light. I was just curious, you know... In case of Zombies or killer Shrews.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Removing the ano on the threads still won't make it work. The battery tube needs to touch the 'golden' ring on the pcb board inside the tailcap. If it had a rear clicky, removing ano on the threads would be enough. It's so simple. It needs a unprotected cell!

Ah gotcha, I thought the removal of the ano might do it but I'm still learning about electrical contacts on flashlights. Good to know! I will say as others mentioned that the 18650ga cells work fine in this light and don't rattle in mine.

davepen

Newly Enlightened
What part of
didn't you understand? :nana:

They're compatible with basically all unprotected 18650 cells that adhere to spec. Unprotected cells are the standard for 18650 cells.

Also Zebralights are some of the most compact flashlights on the market .. you can't do that if you add an extra centimetre for battery wiggle room. ;)

How about:

"Battery: One unprotected 18650 size (i.e. 65.0-65.2 mm long), 3.6-4.35V li-ion rechargeable. This light does NOT support longer, protected cells. Batteries are not included in the package."

Since I write web sites for a living, I'd be happy with that.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
How does the light react when the battery voltage drains and can no longer support the higher output modes?

Asking because the only other Li-ion compatible lights I have experince with are my Olight S1 & S2 Batons... With these the light will power on the higher output modes but immediately shut off...

Thanks...