Zebralight SC600 & SC600W discussion part 2

kenL

Newly Enlightened
Yeah me too, can't decide between Neutral or the Cool version. In general I prefer cool, but i do have a 47 quark in neutral and like it very much. How is the SC600W compared to the quark neutral? It's warmer or cooler? Also for the cool version on the SC600, is the green colour very noticeable? I am ready to pull the trigger, please help me decide. Thanks

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMR is fine just would have a shorter runtime.

Also, wanted to say I just reread the 2900/3100 spec sheet and max charge is 800 and some mA. A 1 amp setting is too high. Also, for a full charge, the cottonpickers below 700mA are pushing it about having too low a cutoff current.

thaugen

Enlightened
I just placed an order for a SC600. I was one of the pre-order owners of the non-stepdown SC600w, but returned it to Zebralight for a refund. The tint on the neutral was nice, but I think the cool version is the way to go for maximum lumens!

hatman

Enlightened
I prefer neutral for walking the dogs in a mostly dark setting or for anywhere else that I don't need either a thrower or maximum lumens.

For an urban setting, with bright lights around me, I might well prefer cool white.

For indoors, maybe a tossup or a slight preference for neutral.

Right now, I'm mostly carrying my new SC600W or my 60W or single cell ThruNite neutrals.

My cool white Quarks don't get much pocket time these days.

bodhran

Enlightened
The question is, does the advantages of a warmer tint and CRI outweight the advantages of higher lumens. For everyday use I usualy don't need more than 100-200 lumens so with the SC600, the difference of 645 vs 750 lumens doesn't bother me at all. It still offers a lot of light when you need it and 645 lumens is nothing to sneeze at. I have both versions and compared together, the 600w is clearly the winner IMHO.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also in the CW vs NW dilemma. If a generous soul would like to post some beamshots of both model, I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate...

Bill S.

Newly Enlightened
I'm also in the CW vs NW dilemma. If a generous soul would like to post some beamshots of both model, I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate...

+1.

I have the SC600 and like it a lot. Don't really notice anything about the beam I don't like. To me it's a nice clean white. OK, but on the edges it looks yellowish, maybe amber. But the main beam isn't.

Last edited:

pocketlight

Newly Enlightened
Also in a side note, the new version (v3) that comes with step down and lanyard ring has a diferent contact point for the battery to the head, instead of just a button, it has a spring. Sorry for the Iphone 4 picture. Also my AW 2900s fit just fine and it feels like it could hold bigger batteries so I ordered 2 Redilast 3100 to try them.

IMG_3140.jpg

pblanch

Enlightened
Pocket light I think that photo turned out quite well for an iphone camera. Interesting they are using a spring now. I just wonder what the reason was behind it and if there has been any additional length added to it. I only have the original pre-order one.

pocketlight

Newly Enlightened
Pocket light I think that photo turned out quite well for an iphone camera. Interesting they are using a spring now. I just wonder what the reason was behind it and if there has been any additional length added to it. I only have the original pre-order one.

My logic behind the new spring set up is that it might help keeping heat separate from the LED and the battery. Also when you add a new battery it doesn't "hit" the circuit board. I really dont think it added any length to it but I have no precise way to prove me wrong besides the manufactures specs. :thumbsup:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
My logic behind the new spring set up is that it might help keeping heat separate from the LED and the battery. Also when you add a new battery it doesn't "hit" the circuit board. I really dont think it added any length to it but I have no precise way to prove me wrong besides the manufactures specs. :thumbsup:
It would also help keep the battery from loosing connection when set down for tail-standing duties. An abrupt hit on the tail can cause it to loose power, turning off the light. Also consider dropping it could cause it to do that too.

pocketlight

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of hiking and camping and i was curious about Zebralights IPX8 (2 meters, 30 minutes) Waterproof rating, does this mean I could swim with the flashlight? Could it be submerged underwater? or just rain? Has anyone submerged their SC600 underwater? pics/videos?

Thanks in advance.

pounder

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of hiking and camping and i was curious about Zebralights IPX8 (2 meters, 30 minutes) Waterproof rating, does this mean I could swim with the flashlight? Could it be submerged underwater? or just rain? Has anyone submerged their SC600 underwater? pics/videos?

Thanks in advance.

yes you could swim with it..i've put mine in the tub several times with no issues..IPX 8 is 2 meters 30 mins standard..if it was just rain then it would have a different ipx rating..

dberryco

Newly Enlightened
I haven't posted in quite some time. I've been playing with my new SC600 today, and my impression is that it is the most amazing flashlight I've ever used. This flashlight addresses my needs almost perfectly with a palm-sized body, clean floody high, and a super low low, a silent switch, and it appears to be pretty rugged. It took me quite some time to overcome my reluctance to use a non-standard battery (18650), vs. AA, but I'm a convert now.

My last "non-walmart" flashlight was/is an O-light T25 2 AA flashlight that I thought was the coolest thing since the mini-mag-light. I did a test today with 4 little flashlights. An original mini mag-lite with incandescent bulb, a mini mag-light I upgraded with an LED, the O-light T25, and the SC600. The old ones seemed so good and I used mine daily for years, but the difference is just astounding. The SC600 can light up a room like a real lightbulb, and light up a house or tree 30 yards away almost like a floodlight.

You guys here are the cutting edge, and while my SC600 is probably on the lame-end of what new LED's can do, it's just perfect for me, and I just wanted to thank you all for keeping the manufacturers on their toes and progressing the state of the art. I could easily see replacing all of my interior bulbs with LED's in the next few years.

That's about it. Just amazed again.
Best-

pounder

Newly Enlightened
Where can you order the SC600? Its out of stock everywhere! GEEZ!

hkequipment has both models in stock..that's where I got mine and I got it fast..ordered an h600 off them also that's coming in the mail..

dberryco

Newly Enlightened
Where can you order the SC600? Its out of stock everywhere! GEEZ!
I ordered mine from LightJunction.com. I actually got the light last week, but had to wait for the batteries from amazon until today. LJ shipped quick. First time ordering from them so I can't say anything else other than a first time happy buyer. I had to search a bit to find someone that wasn't out of stock. Do note that this is not the SC600W that I've seen talked about. It does have the pocket clip and lanyard and was well packed. YMMV.

Best-

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way our eyes perceive brightness I think it is well worth the small sacrifice in lumens for the improved tint, but it is subjective. The difference between 1 and 100 lumens is very noticeable, but the difference between 645 and 750 is much less noticeable. Some of my family/friends prefer warmer, neutral tints as I do, while others like the cool white tints, and some don't seem to care at all.