ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazna

Enlightened
I had a preorder in for the SC600w with Zebralight and asked them what was going on. This is the reply I received:

The SC600/SC600w affected by the 5min step down 'bug' come from a very small batch (about 3 dozens) that contains some new features (hidden) but with the timer inadvertently turned off. All other production batches of the SC600/SC600w or H600 (same driver and software but with different H2 settings) are not affected.

I wonder what the new hidden features are?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Additional modes maybe?

Wow, so all you peoples with the non-stepdown "W" models, go crazy with double clicking, triple clicking, long button holds in every mode... See what you can discover!

They'll be collectables... I suggest you hang onto them.

juplin

Enlightened
It shall be interested to review what run4jc said for his SC600 (first version) in June this year:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...aLight-SC600&p=3670146&viewfull=1#post3670146
We'll implement the 'stepping down gracefully' in some future lights.
I think mine must have it. My SC600 came yesterday - it's not getting the love that it should because of my recent fascination with incan lights, but I still put it through the paces this morning. Amazing little package for an amazing price. In my sphere, with a fresh AW 18650 it reads 738 lumen at turn on. After using it for 10 minutes or so out walking, I read it again and it was a solid 720 lumen. I just let it sit in the sphere, and the most interesting thing happened - it held the reading solidly, then suddenly dropped down to 700 or so.....30 seconds or so later, it did it again, dropping about another 10 lumen. I didn't have time to continue this experiment, but I'd have to describe this as "stepping down gracefully."
It's highly possible that two kinds of circuit or software code (directly stepping down to 500 lumens of H2 after 5 minutes, or stepping down gracefully or gradually) exist since the first version of SC600 in June.

easilyled

Flashaholic

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, so all you peoples with the non-stepdown "W" models, go crazy with double clicking, triple clicking, long button holds in every mode... See what you can discover!

They'll be collectables... I suggest you hang onto them.

Kind of a double-edged sword, though: collectible in a certain sense but sort of a danger to themselves. I wonder how long one could be left in Turbo mode in normal ambient temperature environments before doing permanent damage or significantly shortening the nominal lifetime of the light? Or if Owner A sold one to New Owner B, how much Turbo runtime experimentation might Owner A have put it through before selling to New Owner B? And questions of replacement or warranty service come up if kept and not returned to ZebraLight for eventual replacement. What might be the ZL options for current owners be? Fortunately, this seems to involve only a small set of units or it could be a potential mess for those left in circulation. It's an interesting situation.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These "hidden features" seem to be incentive to hold onto defective units to me, but I guess I'll have to see what these hidden features are (if Zebralight discloses them or if someone finds them).

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of a double-edged sword, though: collectible in a certain sense but sort of a danger to themselves. I wonder how long one could be left in Turbo mode in normal ambient temperature environments before doing permanent damage or significantly shortening the nominal lifetime of the light? .

Hmmm I doubt it's getting pushed THAT hard- does anyone know how many amps it's pulling before stepdown?

There are now 4.2a XML drops out there running w iffy heatsinking ;)

I'm currently abusing a 3.5a and it won't step down till the cell cries out in pain! - or until the trail flattens out and I switch it to low.

Maybe there is a reprogram u can do to remove the stepdown?!

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm I doubt it's getting pushed THAT hard- does anyone know how many amps it's pulling before stepdown?

Yeah, you're probably right. Of course, then, why the need for the step down unless as an overdone precaution?

But my last post was just speculation on my part without deep knowledge of what the realistic dangers to components from long-term Turbo use might be (for instance, in a prolonged ceiling bounce situation or some similar use without the hand holding the SC600w to take away some of the heat).

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know the status of the SC600w's? I ordered mine the 14th, as many have, and my order still shows up as "processing".

Seems a lot of people missed this little post a few pages back. The reason they haven't shipped yet is because ZL has confirmed that there was a "bug" in the firmware of the initial SC600W's. I would imagine this means they are fixing it before shipping the rest. I've looked down inside the head of my ZL and I don't see any readily-available pads for reflashing the firmware (I could be wrong) so who knows how much effort is required to fix this.

I had a preorder in for the SC600w with Zebralight and asked them what was going on. This is the reply I received:

The SC600/SC600w affected by the 5min step down 'bug' come from a very small batch (about 3 dozens) that contains some new features (hidden) but with the timer inadvertently turned off. All other production batches of the SC600/SC600w or H600 (same driver and software but with different H2 settings) are not affected.

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
Thanks calipsoii, I did miss that post. Mixed feelings on that step down bug anyway. Would be nice to just have the max as I'd be more inclined to use the lower 200ish lumen setting instead of the 430 lumen one, but oh well, I waited this long I can wait longer. :D

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Guys, i have clicked and clicked, then press and held. Nothing.

Any other suggestions to find the "hidden features" on my "Non Stepdown SC600W (NSSC600W)".

Maybe a battery change then click away... :crazy:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, i have clicked and clicked, then press and held. Nothing.

Any other suggestions to find the "hidden features" on my "Non Stepdown SC600W (NSSC600W)".

Maybe a battery change then click away... :crazy:
I was hoping for triple click from off would give you button lock but I highly doubt that (will probably just go to low). Any additional options for H2? Maybe something different for the strobe, programmable frequency?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I was hoping for triple click from off would give you button lock but I highly doubt that (will probably just go to low). Any additional options for H2? Maybe something different for the strobe, programmable frequency?

Nope, nuthin. :eek:

Also, my sister inlaw ordered her SC600W on Saturday or Sunday, and got her shipping confirmation today... i asked her if she was sure she ordered the SC600W, she said she ordered the light on the link I sent her, it was definitely the SC600W. Weird... :huh:

pae77

Enlightened
I ordered an SC600W from IlluminationGear.com yesterday and got a notice that it shipped today. discount code info removed I don't know whether the SC600W that is on its way to me has the step down bug or not. I don't think it makes much difference for my purposes but I do hope I get the as yet unknown "hidden" features whatever they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

burntoshine

Enlightened
this is the response that i just got from Zebralight cs:

Your order will be shipped from Texas before 12/16/2011

(ordered my SC600w on November 25th)

thaugen

Enlightened
Zebralight just issued a full refund for my SC600w return, but no explanation about a fix for the lack of step down... I am grateful for the ease of the return, but I also want a SC600w that works as advertised.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered an SC600W from IlluminationGear.com yesterday and got a notice that it shipped today. discount code info removed I don't know whether the SC600W that is on its way to me has the step down bug or not. I don't think it makes much difference for my purposes but I do hope I get the as yet unknown "hidden" features whatever they are.
I just emailed illuminationgear and they replied that they just received their lights on Monday and they are bug free according to Zebralight. Once you receive your light let us know how it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts