FREE Income Tax preparation software!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or a major potential ID theft scam.... :xyxgun:

I just got a CD in the snail mail---

From H& R Block, (or supposedly anyway);
their 2005 TaxCut program.

Now, I used their TaxCut software several years ago but have been using TurboTax for the last few years, and the Microsoft one before that.

So I got to thinking, why would they send me this after so long of not using their product.

And my next thought was; This would be a GREAT way to steal someone's identity, AND get them in trouble with the IRS at the same time.... Someone, not H&R Block , could send out thousands of fake CDs for a pretty small investment, and when you install the software and do your taxes on it, it sends them with some kind of worm, trojan or dialer all the information necessary to rob you blind.

I checked their website and didn't see anything about them sending out any free programs to try to bring back old customers or anything like that.

OK, It probably is Legit and I'm being paranoid... But I'm not going to install it.... I like TurboTax better anyway.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could install it on a spare computer that has no access to the internet. After your done with it, format the HD and re-install windows. :D

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I got mine in the mail about three days ago, have been using them on and off for several years. This is the first year that they have sent them in the mail. I believe this is some new type of promotion. I believe it may still be cheaper to buy it at a conventional store to try and get it free after rebate.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to find an alternative way of getting mines done cheaper than 200 bucks they wanted last year.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do mine myself. I'm like that. I don't pay people to work on things that I can do. That's why I fix cars, etc. Heck even plumbing stuff I do. Never done it before but it's a no-brainer. I'm hoping I'll get some money back this year because I was only employed for about 2 months this whole past year...

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it that hard? I needed some special form for my 1099 and never found it, so went to the place my parents go.