Streamlight TL-3 Questions

tstetz

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have much experience with the TL-3? I'm considering getting one for use at work (as an LEO) and was curious how it compared to other police tac lights out there. I currently carry a Night Ops Gladius and have an Inova T3, Pelican M6 LED, and a Streamlight Scorpian so any comparisons to those would be helpful.

The Gladius is my belt light but I'm looking at a brighter light with better throw for my car bag. I'd like to get a bit more range and hopefully the ability to punch through window tint a little better. I'd been looking at the TL-3 but I'm open to other options as well in the 100+ lumen range. The 211 claimed lumens and very reasonable price tag of the TL-3 are tempting, I was wondering if it really stood up to that promise.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two, and you'll find it's the longest throwing 3/123 on the market.

Great body shape, "grippy", you won't drop it period.

The BEST value for the bucks.

I also own two TL-2's, good lights, the TL-3 is just BRIGHTER.

The longer light can be used as an impact weapon.

tstetz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks John. That last issue crossed my mind as well since my next light will likely be my traffic stop light. I know it ain't a 4 D Mag but it's still nice to know it can be used in a pinch.

Woods

Newly Enlightened
Great light for the money but in a possible tactical situation I'd have concerns for the bi-pin lamp. Being a friction fit, a good bang bezel down could possibly cause the bulb to come out of it's socket. Don't get me wrong, I have one on my nightstand with 17500's and it's in my throwmonster EDC rotation. You might also consider a C2 or M2 with unprotected R123's and a G&P HP90....very comparable in throw with a slightly cleaner beam.

Last edited:

zehnmm

Enlightened
tsetz: I concur with what JohnK said: that the TL-3 is a great value that throws like all get-out. I got mine for $48 (including shipping) via Amazon. I run it on AW's protected 17500's and get about 1 hour of runtime. I keep it on my bedstand as the bump-in-the-night light. You might check the flashlightreviews.com site for the review.

One thing that you should know is that I did have to send mine back to Streamlight for a warranty repair. In my case, the bulb came out and was rolling around in the head. There have been other posts about this problem, fyi.

If you do get one, I suggest that you at first decide on the head adjustment that you prefer and leave it there.

Mine is working fine now.

Regards.

tstetz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys.

Help me out a bit though, I'm a novice to the battery situation here. So far I've only used reg CR123's (Surefire, Duracell etc.) What are the 15700 and 17500's? Rechargeables?

Re: head adjustment

What do you mean by head adjustment? I presume not just focus??

Heh, the guys at work think I'm a major flashlight geek :D. I told them that I don't hold a candle (or a lumen :p) to the guys online in flashlight knowledge. :lolsign: I have much to learn still....

Cypher

Enlightened
I think "15700" was a typo. 17500 cells are rechargeable lithium ion batteries. 17 is the diameter in mm and 500 is the length (50.0) in mm. Two 17500 take up the same space as 3 regular CR123 cells. This is possible because a lithium ion cell charges to 4.2 volts so you get almost the 9 volt requirement of the lamp with only two cells. It is generally accepted that when you figure in the voltage sag under load of regular 123s that lithium ions provide as much voltage or more at the beginning of the run and have a flatter discharge. This means that after 40 minutes the flashlight running on lithium ions brighter than the one running on regular 123s all other things being equal.

The head adjustment they are talking about is the focus. As the head is adjusted in and out while focusing there are some reported problems with a rubber oring around the bulb puling the pin out of the socket leaving it rattling around in the reflector. This has never happened to mine but I have done as suggested and found the focus I like and then I don't touch it.

I do suggest getting the 17500's if you get a TL-3 because they are fantastic. I never used my TL-3 before I had them because I didn't want to feed it. I use it all the time now.

Daegan

maxilux

Enlightened
JohnK said:
I have two, and you'll find it's the longest throwing 3/123 on the market.

Great body shape, "grippy", you won't drop it period.

The BEST value for the bucks.

I also own two TL-2's, good lights, the TL-3 is just BRIGHTER.

The longer light can be used as an impact weapon.

Yes, in my opinion the best light wich you can get for this money !!

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
The Streamlight TL-3 is my most-carried light when out in the wilderness. I've got some other very nice lights in my collection - some are smaller, some are brighter and some throw even further. But the TL-3 is the best all-rounder. However, to be balanced, I'll do some pros-and-cons:

PROS:

LIGHTWEIGHT: Very light for a 3-cell flashlight that throws. Weighs exactly 200 grams with batteries and lanyard.

SMALL: It's fairly incredible to be able to put a light that throws this well into your pocket!
AFFORDABLE: WAY cheaper than anything else in it's class. Bulbs are also fairly cheap (because you only need the bulbs - there is no lamp assembly attached!)

BRIGHT: It is very bright - BUT ONLY ABOUT 170 LUMENS comes out the front! This is my observation based on other lights, plus there are other people on CPF that come to similar conclusions. Streamlight claim bulb lumens which is always more than actually makes it out of the window.

THROW: For such a "small" reflector, the throw is astonishing. Something that small shouldn't be able to throw that far (when compared to various other flashlights with their various sized reflectors) - but it just does.

SPARE BULB IN THE HEAD: This is a brilliant feature.

FLEXIBLE: You can remove the clip if you want, (using an allen key) without compromising waterproofness. If you are thinking of using it to whack people with (shocking!) then this might be a good idea - less chance of ripping your hand up with the clip! It is also flexible in that the beam can be focused - however I find this of limited use - I always keep it tightly focused, to get the most "throw."

CONS:

BULB FALLING OUT: There is the rumour (already mentioned) about problems with the bulb getting pulled out when you adjust the focus. This has never happened to me. I hardly ever adjust the focus, and if I do, it's usually just after I turn it on. I suspect that it is more likely for the bulb to get pulled out if the focus is adjusted AFTER the head has heated up, due to expanding components (i.e. the rubber ring expanding and gripping the bulb).

BULB LIFE: Streamlight themselves say that the bulbs will probably only last 3 to 5 changes of batteries (yes - worst case is that bulbs might literally only last 3 hours!!!). I suspect this is because there is no halogen in the bulbs. It may also be a conservative estimate - some people reckon they've had 7 hours. If you use it intermittently, then the total bulb life will be reduced even further, though! SO IF YOU GET ONE, STOCK UP ON BULBS!!! I've never had to replace a bulb yet - but I only use it very occasionally when navigating at night.

BEAM PROFILE ON WIDE FOCUS: This is fairly poor, despite the stippled reflector. Best to keep it on tight focus - not only does this give best throw, but the side-spill is very good even on tight focus.

[EDITED TO ADD] BUTTON IS FLUSH WITH TAILCAP: This means it might be hard to operate if you were wearing thick gloves, for example. You would probably have to rotate it for constant-on rather than press the button!

=====

Well, that's probably the main pros and cons that I can think of. But there is something else you should probably check out, and that is the availability of spare bulbs etc. I could be very wrong here, but I have a feeling I read somewhere that Streamlight no longer make the TL-n series... Hopefully somebody here will set the record straight. I got mine AFTER I heard the rumour, but got plenty of spare bulbs to go with it! Perhaps you should contact Streamlight to check this...

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
Does the TL-3 use the same flush tailcap as the TL-2's? If so SL is making a raised, protruding tailcap for the TL-2 LED (I've seen them in the Thunder Ranch kit) And they will work on a TL-2 incan. So if the switches are the same from TL2 to 3 then you can get a raised switch if you desire. I have an E-mail from Streamlight with the part # too if anyone wants it.
hth,

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
VWTim: That's great to know, thanks. And I'm 99.9% sure the tailcaps are identical from TL-2 to TL-3, as a friend has the TL-2 which I've had a good look at. Not got it to hand, though, so can't be sure.

Did your email from SL indicate whether the TL-n series are still in production?

VWTim

Enlightened
OutdoorIdiot said:
VWTim: That's great to know, thanks. And I'm 99.9% sure the tailcaps are identical from TL-2 to TL-3, as a friend has the TL-2 which I've had a good look at. Not got it to hand, though, so can't be sure.

Did your email from SL indicate whether the TL-n series are still in production?

No mention, but this was also maybe 6 months ago.

Woods

Newly Enlightened
Oops....numerical dyslexia rears it's ugly head...I meant 17500's, sorry for the confusion!

:whistle:

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Outdoor Idiot's post was excellent, the only thing I have to add is that instead of getting Pila 150S, I use 2x AA Li-Ion. Rattles a bit and runtime is not as good but it was a cheap way to go. Excellent light for the money, AFAIK beats any other hot wire it's size at twice the price.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no denying that the TL-3 is scorcher. The only thing more incredible than its throw is its throw-per-size ratio.

But I sold mine for several reasons:
  1. The bipin lamp can indeed be pulled out. It happened to me and to a number of others.
  2. There's no need for a focusing head, as far as I'm concerned.
  3. I missed a clickie tailcap.
  4. The bipin could break easily if the TL-3 is dropped.
  5. It's difficult to change lamps in the field, and nearly impossible to do so without getting your fingers on the bulb; to me, that nullifies the advantage of having an on-board spare.
If you want the throw of a TL-3 in a similar-size package, I suggest these miniturbo options, all of which use a lamp assembly and can take a pair of 17500 or 18500 cells:
  1. Wolf Eyes 9D/9DX with the new (200-lumen) D36 lamp assembly.
  2. A Digilight T9 with Digilight's range extender head, or this cheaper version.
  3. Tacstar T9 xenon. Their T6 was a rebranded Pelican M6; the 9V miniturbo T9 might outthrow a TL-3.

Last edited:

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland:

Definitely a good point about having to touch the bulb. You'd need to have some tissue or cotton fabric (e.g. t-shirt) with you to clean the oil off afterwards. Purists would probably say you need alcohol as well - but I've got away fine with just wiping the bulb with tissue. I haven't needed to replace the bulb yet - just practiced replacing it in the dark for when the time requires it!

I liked your link to "this cheaper version..." (of the Digilight T9). Those 3-cell xenon flashlights are made by the same people that make the Ledwave Z-3 Targetter, aren't they?

I've got the LedWave Z-3 Targetter. I'm going to put my neck on the line, here: Those flashlights give the best beam of ANY flashlight I've ever seen. And yes, that includes SureFire. The beam is incredibly pure and even, and the throw is fantastic. It is possibly my favourite flashlight. I only carry the TL-3 because it is lighter and has the spare bulb. But if you want purity and throw - the LedWave Z-3, or the versions you link to, are perfect.

And if the bulb blows and you can't get a lamp assembly (hard to find)? Well, just buy a new flashlight - you can get the whole flashlight for about the same price as some company's lamp assemblies!!!

Brilliant link - these really are hidden gems - every flashaholic should get one, imho!

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland:

RE the TL-3 bulb falling into the head: Is it possible to remove it yourself e.g. with needlenose pliers - have you managed to do this, or are you aware of anyone else doing it? Or is it game over - need to send it for fixing. I don't want to try it myself, but I would guess it could be done with the right tool...?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
OutdoorIdiot said:
Paul_in_Maryland:Those 3-cell xenon flashlights are made by the same people that make the Ledwave Z-3 Targetter, aren't they? I've got the LedWave Z-3 Targetter. I'm going to put my neck on the line, here: Those flashlights give the best beam of ANY flashlight I've ever seen. And yes, that includes SureFire. The beam is incredibly pure and even, and the throw is fantastic.
Yes, it's a Z-3 but, apparently, with the added benefit of a glass lens (they say glass bulb). Also, I'm not sure, but the tailcap may be slimmer. The seller has many, so don't impulsively pay the Buy It Now price; bid low, bid in the final seconds, and get a bargain!

If you haven't already done so, see my full review of the LEDWave Z-3, and my review comparing it to other lamp assemblies. Those reviews are either in Reviews, in Incandescents, or one in each.

It's good to hear a good word for the Z-3. As far as I'm concerned, it paved the way for lower prices in a bright 9V "throwy" miniturbo. But I wouldn't want anyone to think that the Z-3's entire beam can rival the throw of a TL-3; only the small hot spot.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
OutdoorIdiot said:
Paul_in_Maryland:

RE the TL-3 bulb falling into the head: Is it possible to remove it yourself e.g. with needlenose pliers - have you managed to do this?
Yes, absolutely; I've done it and so have others.