Peak Solutions McKinley owners

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at this light because of the small size and strong construction. IF you own one, is it a light that can withstand some abuse?? I plan on buying one for my daughter to take to college with her. It would kbe kept in the bottom of a purse. With all the crap floating around in the purse I was wondering how it would stand up??

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
I carried one on my keychain for years, and it got a little scratched up. (My mom said it looked like it got carried by a marine in Iraq :shrug:) However, I think it would probably hold up pretty well. The exposed LEDs are what I would worry about, personally. I had to get my old one with the shrouded LEDs replaced with the newer version, which I now carry seperate in my pocket.

Overall, I don't think that you will have any problem with your daughter carrying one in her purse. Even if the LEDs get a little scratched up, it shouldn't hurt the beam quality.

Rifter

Enlightened
I just got one a couple of weeks ago and from what i can tell so far its a tough light. As stated i would be most worried about the LED's however i had a photon for years and that LED was totaly exposed and was fine so i wouldnt worry about it.

Grubbster

Enlightened
If you are concerned about toughness, buy one of the stainless models. I have a Matterhorn in stainless and it is one tough light. The leds on the Peaks are pretty well recessed, so I don't think there would be a problem with any serious damage.

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not too worried about the leds (i'll put it in a small case) more about the constrution (nice solid unit) This is a cr123 so I figure if she uses it now and then the battery should last a while. I assume this has a nice flood pattern from what I read in the reviews. I'm not really looking for her to light up an object a 1/2 mile down the road, just a good bright flood for odds and ends.

LowWorm

Enlightened
As long as it's used in spurts, I think the McKinley is a great small light. It can get a little too warm if used for prolonged periods of time, due to its lack of surface area to dissipate heat.