Help me find a certain type of photography...

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Yosemite National Forrest a few years ago, and i remember this guy selling his poster-size photography...But this wasn't normal photography.

All i could remember, after overhearing his conversations, was that he took the pictures using regular 35mm film, developed them in color and transfered them on to large negative slides (for better resulotion), scanned them into a computer, printed them on special paper, hand painted it using watercolor techniques, scanned it again into a computer, further manipulated the picture by enhancing the color and contrasts for a dramatic look, and finally printing them in a special way using canvas as the medium.

The pictures were STUNNING! They looked better than real nature. Green fields looked greaner, the contrasts were stunning like sun overcast on a feild of grass, and pictures of water seemed to flow within the poster...it was really COOL!

If you can help me put a name to this type of photography, and artist, or a company, i would greatly appreciate it. This stuff isn't cheap, otherwise i would have bought one, but i would like to do more research on it.

thanks.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a photographer, I never heard of this type of photography. To me it would of just been easier, as a lot of landscape photographers do, to use a view camera, which gives you a 4x5 inch negative. The view camera also allows you to tilt and shift the lens plane and the film plane. This allows you put only certain things in focus. Althought I never seen the results of this certain process, I am sure they can be duplicated with a lot less steps.

BTW, Check out Ansel Adams for great landscape pictures.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Yep. Soup Nazi is right...sounds like the guy likes playing around with stuff, which is OK, part of the hobby/art I suppose. I never liked Adams, to cookbook for me. (You haven't seen landscapes until you've seen good large format work, though.)

Anyway, you could try part of this yourself. Get a B&H or Tiffen "enhancing" filter, shoot a roll of Velvia slide film, and have somebody print it w/ Cibachrome. I've seen prints done this way, and they do have that "oh my god it's coming at you" ultra boosted color.