Polarion "Helios" Sees Battle in Practical Operational Testing

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
A few months ago, an undisclosed special forces unit of the highest echelon wanted to practically test the Polarion HID lights. They did not want to pay for them and they told me they could not guarantee their safe return (as is one piece). Gulp...

Well I figured, what better way to shake out any kinks/weaknesses? So I sent some Polarion PF40's to the units' procurement point of contact. I kissed them good-bye and just asked for feedback, good & bad.

From that point, I periodically asked how the lights were holding up to the challenges of their world. All I ever got, was "very favorable"...That's it!!!

Argg...I wanted more....Got a message that they were going to ship the T&E lights back in fully working order. This was a bonus because I fully expected a message to the effect, "Here are the aluminum fragments and melted wires you wanted back..." I pressed for some details on the Polaion's perrformance. Here is what I got back this evening: (edited for unit, names and locations)

I welded 2 stop collars together for each end of the light, one sized to clamp the lamp and one to clamp the barrel of my Barrett (read .50 Cal sniper rifle). I have designed several of these mounts that work on numerous weapons with numerous lights , scopes and lasers. It is my design and you can have it to use if you like no charge.

The lights were put in a pelican case and dropped 250 feet into a sandy LZ with no damage. We froze them fully charged in liquid nitrogen for 24 hours thawed them and turned them on. No problems. We heated them to 130 degrees for 2 hours and let them cool for a hour then turned them on. No Problem.

I used one on a lockout at 35 feet 1.5 clicks from land. We landed performed the job used the light with great success.

They were pressure tested to 3 atmospheres and passed with no problems.

The rest we used them on operations. The main complaint is run time verses recharge time and weight. Other than that they performed great.

I post to let everyone know how these new to the market lights fared, but also in response to another thread containing a post that indicated the Polarion Helios (among other lights) would not be up to the task/rigors of these types of environments as opposed to the light he was speaking of.

Always good to speak of what you know as opposed to speak of what you are speculating. :sssh:

Anyway, I am extremely happy to say the least as this type of feedback takes it out of the realm of numbers on a spec-sheet, marketing-hype and lab tests and into the world of military operators and how they choose to evaulate things.

Best to everybody!

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow.. Ken, what are you doing up at 3 in the morning?
My excuse is one mother of a thunderstorm just rolled through so I had to check it out.

Sounds like a quite vigorous test in areas I wouldn't expect.. esp the temperature tests.

I would like to see what it would do without the protection of the pelican case, that would be the acid test for a light of such beauty, but unless its an accident, I don't know of anybody who really dares to test thier lights that way unprotected..... you would really be sacrificing a very expensive light.. they probrably didn't feel the liberty to risk it.

But even though it hit sand, 250 feet is a stinkin long way to fall!
however, hitting cement or rock seems to vastly increase the g forces that will break or snap things.

I also agree with the latter part of the study.

It's amazing how much of a price difference a car will bring thats a very good car, but has formidable competition, verses one that has no flaws and the driver can say with pride, "the competition can't touch it!"

Now, let me blow a little smoke up your skirt!....

As you improve the little variances that people are complaining about, I think you guys are making possibly the nicest light out there.

Although I chose another HID for my pocketbook, needs and desires, the Helios is the most beautiful light out there and the brightest for the compact reflector size it has IMO...It does an extremely well job with the lumens it has with its perfect reflector... worthy of putting on a nice rifle or show mantle for that matter or taking on an extreme hike mountainclimbing or even diving.

Your light can go anywhere man can go, it sounds like without fear of failure as long as the batteries are there!

As you know, its hard to get ruggedness and beauty into one package... so when you find it.. marry her! :grin2:

I had a real stuggle deciding what to buy but finally decided against since we have a kid in college now. My wife would have a cow if she knew what these lights really cost! :whistle:

Very nice product!

Your product really adds iceing to the cake of whats available in the market!

BVH

Flashaholic
Ken, I really hope the Helios takes off with military use. If it does, maybe some of the revenue would be used to develop the next Helios @ 75 Watts with the same run time using the latest battery technology.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
3:00 am...Just rolled into a federal training center where we teach a combatives course at....Didn't not get in till late...Choked down some coffee and answered a bilzillion emails....Next thing I knew it was 5:15 am....I had to get back out the door at 6:45am.

Military sales....Yes that would a good thing.

No pics as the lights were just sent back.

Later...Going to sleep...what a concept.

Last edited: