Don't interrupt a TG1000 charger's charge cycle!

luxlover

Banned
Warning: Do not remove a cell from this charger, until the green light indicating end of charge appears.

My good NYC friend Joe (jtr1962) came to the conclusion that I was using my Amondotech bought Titanium TG1000 four bay AA/AAA charger incorrectly. It seems that my impatience in waiting for a full charge to occur may have been instrumental in causing the destruction of ten NexCel 2,300mAH NiMH AA cells, and eight Energizer 2,500mAH NiMH AA cells.

How this occured is through my periodic removal of a cell from the charger to "check" it's voltage at that point in the charge. According to Joe, this charger will only work as designed and complete a charge without any damage to a cell, if it is left alone until the green light appears. By removing a cell before the green light appears, the voltage and temperature detection features are disrupted, and the charger will continue to charge the cell beyond what it should. In my case, I remember that every cell I charged became very hot to the touch well before the green light appeared. In effect, I fried all eighteen of my cells by removing them for premature voltage checks and returning them to the charger. Now that I have twelve AA Eneloops in my AA arsenal, I will charge them properly by letting the charger do it's work uninterrupted.

Thank you Joe for the enlightenment.

Jeff

jtr1962

Flashaholic
You're quite welcome for the insight, Jeff. :) I have a detailed description of what happened. Most NiMh chargers which detect end of charge by negative delta V will store the highest detected voltage value since the cell was inserted and the difference between the present and last voltages. How often the voltage is sampled depends upon the design of the charger. Anyway, when the difference between the highest and last value is negative, the charger will interpret this as an end of charge signal, and terminate fast charge. When a partially charged cell is removed and reinserted, all the stored voltage information is lost. This is not necessarily a problem is the cell is not close to fully charged. The cell voltage will rise for a while and eventually drop slightly, and the charge will terminate properly. However, consider if the cell was nearly fully charged. The cell voltage may have already started to drop before the cell was removed, but not enough for the charger to detect and terminate fast charge. Now if you remove and reinsert the cell, the prior voltage information is lost. The charger will charge and look for a voltage drop. However, if such a drop had already partially occurred the cell voltage may not drop enough for the charger to terminate. Hence, the cell will continue to fast charge until the overtemp sensor (if one exists) shuts down the charger. This means the cell gets much hotter than it otherwise would.

On another note, my preliminary testing of the damaged Nexcells shows greatly increased internal resistance but no unusually high self-discharge. The cells of course won't work normally in high drain devices, but they seem to have reasonable capacity in applications requiring a few tens of mA. I'm presently trying to see if performance can be restored by discharging the cells very slowly (at about 15 mA) until they are at 0 volts, and then slowly recharging them. Sometimes this works with NiCads. I'm dubious of the possibilities of success, but it's an interesting academic experiment.

The demise of your Energizers was most likely only hastened by your charging habits. All the symptoms you described are similar to problems many others here have had with those same cells.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
that can happen with a lot of the "smart" chargers. which is why a blackout of power can also be an issue.
never trust smart machines , remember terminator :)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jeff,

I don't think you would have had a problem if, when you removed the cell to check the voltage, you also set it down to cool off for around 20 - 30 minutes.

Never charge a warm, or hot cell. Always let it cool down before charging.

You can run into a similar problem when charging in your car in the summer. Cells can get hot sitting in the sun, and they need to cool off before charging.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello VidPro,

It is interesting that some "smart" chargers are smarter than others. I interrupted the power to my Schulze while charging. When the power was turned back on, the charger gave me an error beep and instructed me to remove the battery I was charging and start over.

I think that may be a "feature," but it won't work if you have your charger set up on a timer.

Tom

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello VidPro,

It is interesting that some "smart" chargers are smarter than others. I interrupted the power to my Schulze while charging. When the power was turned back on, the charger gave me an error beep and instructed me to remove the battery I was charging and start over.

I think that may be a "feature," but it won't work if you have your charger set up on a timer.

Tom

yup that lacross thing somehow knows when a batt is "full" when it comes topped off (but not warm) from another charger.

luxlover

Banned
I thank you jtr1962 (Joe) and SilverFox (Tom) for your explanations. They sure were eyeopeners. To show my gratitude, I will bestow upon both of you the honor of being my "Cell Mates." :crackup:

It appears that "smart" chargers must still be supervised by their users, regardless of all the manufacturer hype. In fact, why doesn't every manufacturer of smart (or dumb) chargers post this warning in the Users Guide? It would surely have prevented the grief I experienced with all eighteen of my NiMH AA cells due to me making false assumptions!

Jeff

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
luxlover said:
I thank you jtr1962 (Joe) and SilverFox (Tom) for your explanations. They sure were eyeopeners. To show my gratitude, I will bestow upon both of you the honor of being my "Cell Mates." :crackup:

It appears that "smart" chargers must still be supervised by their users, regardless of all the manufacturer hype. In fact, why doesn't every manufacturer of smart (or dumb) chargers post this warning in the Users Guide? It would surely have prevented the grief I experienced with all eighteen of my NiMH AA cells due to me making false assumptions!

Jeff

your charger manuel diddnt have enough warnings on it :) i thought , nowdays, that is what the first 10 pages are :)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very strange,
I messed around with my BC-900 trying to get it to nuke cells :) Charged the battery to full, pulled the cell out and let it cool. Throwing the cells back in caused the charger to give me the FULL display. I then run the cells for a minute or two in a flashlight (825mA draw) and thew them back in the charger. It charged for a couple of minutes then went back to FULL. The BC-900 evidently looks at the voltage of the cell when inserted.
Sometimes "smart" chargers are not very smart. A good thing about battery analyzers is they look at all the parameters and you can check voltage as they charge. Maybe a Maha Powerex C9000 analyzer is in your future?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello BentHeadTX,

The key is that you let the cells cool off before sticking them back in...

Tom

Got me there, Tom
I guess it is a bad habit so maybe nice time I'll try harder and just keep inserting the hot cell. I might give it a shot after I get a Maha C9000 so I won't be out an analyzer. Those Cadex machines are monsters to carry around ;)

luxlover

Banned
VidPro said:
Your charger manual didn't have enough warnings in it. :) I thought nowdays, that is what the first 10 pages are for! :)
"You are as right as two rabbits", VidPro! No reference to charge interruption anywhere in the manual.

Jeff

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
BentHeadTX said:
Very strange,
I messed around with my BC-900 trying to get it to nuke cells :) Charged the battery to full, pulled the cell out and let it cool. Throwing the cells back in caused the charger to give me the FULL display. I then run the cells for a minute or two in a flashlight (825mA draw) and threw them back in the charger. It charged for a couple of minutes, then went back to FULL. The BC-900 evidently looks at the voltage of the cell when inserted.
Sometimes "smart" chargers are not very smart. A good thing about battery analyzers is they look at all the parameters, and you can check voltage as they charge. Maybe a Maha Powerex C9000 analyzer is in your future?
My charger must be a "semi-smart" (= "semi-dumb?") charger I guess, when compared to yours. :ohgeez:

I am way ahead of you on the Maha suggestion! :naughty: My buddy above, jtr1962, will be getting his C9000 anyday now, will evaluate it for US, and will advise me whether to buy one or not. As it concerns anything electronic, when Joe says "JUMP", I reply "HOW HIGH?" I trust his advice on everything. He should start a help line called Ask Joe!

In contrast to the Maha as an addition to my still functional TG1000, I was thinking about the prospects of spending $100 for a Great Plane's Triton unit that charges everything, instead of $60 for the Maha that charges only AAs and AAAs. Any thoughts on this idea, oh King of Batteries Mr. SilverFox?

Jeff

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jeff,

You may get into trouble with the Triton... :)

I don't think it comes with warning labels either... :)

The Triton is a great charger. It offers a wide range of flexibility. This can work for you by allowing you to be able to charge nearly anything, but can also work against you if you happen to set things up wrong.

Tom

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I'm sure Luxlover will get a real CHARGE out of a Triton!!! :lolsign: He's just gotta watch how its plugged in!!

Karl

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello BentHeadTX,

The key is that you let the cells cool off before sticking them back in...

Tom
Tom:

What temperature are you suggesting to cool to?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bill,

Let them cool off until they are cool to the touch. According to my "calibrated" temperature probe on my CBA ( :) ) that is around 88.3 F.

Tom

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello Bill,

Let them cool off until they are cool to the touch. According to my "calibrated" temperature probe on my CBA ( :) ) that is around 88.3 F.

Tom
Tom:

Look what temperature the BC-900 v33 lets cells cool down to before restarting.

BC_AA_T_1000_4.jpg