• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Killimanjaro Conundrum

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Hi y'all -

Not sure whether to post this to the Peak or battery forum, but guess it belongs here. Maybe.

Long-time fan of *old, original* CMG Infinity Ultra likes the HP Killimanjaro for it's build, snow-white LED, non-rattle spring, big central spot. Like IU, Killi has just the right amount of light for many tasks and is dead-simple reilable.

Had a Battery Station Lithium in my Killi, noticed it was getting dim, checked voltage - still pretty high! Compared brightness to IU with alkaline - Killi definitely far dimmer. Swapped batteries and guess what - IU is just as bright as it was on the alkaline, but Killi is now brighter! :wtf:

Tried new Eveready L91 in both:
IU equally bright on alkaline or new L91 or old BS
Killi equally bright on alkaline or L91, dim on BS

Tried new BS in Killi: bright again.

Now the voltages are:

Near-new coppertop = 1.60 (I find they run 1.60-1.65 new)
Used BS lithium = 1.73
New Eveready L91 = 1.86
New BS lithium = 1.96

The conundrum is, the voltage on the used BS lithium is higher than the alkaline, and its internal resistance should be lower, and it works just fine on the IU (approx. same output as alkaline), but it puts out less light with the Peak Killi.

I've been using lithiums in the IUs for quite a while with no untoward effects that I can see.

OK all you wise and brilliant illuminati, please tell me what is happening here!

As an aside, I have seen a comment elsewhere on this board that the L91 is very near to 1.5V, but using two reliable VOMs, I haven't found that to be so for the ones I've bought.

- Bill

h_nu

Enlightened
I don't have the answer but if you've seen posts saying the L91 is near 1.5v the poster was probably talking about under load and not open circuit voltage.