Just received L1DCE- First impressions and question

CoolLEDs

Newly Enlightened
I just received my new Fenix L1DCE. I am quite pleased with it so far. It is brighter than my L2T and the user interface is very easy and well thought out. The beam is a bit ringy as others have reported, but it actually doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might. I might try some PDA protective screen film to smooth the beam a bit at some point. But for now I'm satisfied with the beam and the performance of the light as a whole.

I do have one question, though. I haven't read anyone else mention this so I wonder if it is common or not. When I switch my light from turbo to low (by loosening the head slightly), I can see the light dim to the low level. It takes about 1/3 of a second for this transition to complete so it is very noticeable. I was expecting the level to change instantaneously like it does on my L1T/L2T when going from high to low. Anyone else experience this on their L1DCE/L2DCE?

LightScene

Enlightened
I don't have an L1D-CE, but my P1D-CE shifts immediately from high to low.

psyrens

Newly Enlightened
I see transition when moving to low on P1Dce, but I don't think it's a problem.
It just works fine.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool LED...Mine does the same thing, so I assume it's normal. Some lights that have multiple brightness settings do in fact seem to "instantly" switch down when turned to a lower level; but unless one of our more knowledgable members chimes in with information to the contrary, I think it's not a problem. It's probably just a "characteristic" of the L1d CE's switching/circuitry.

PJD

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its quite normal to see the transition when moving to low, I have noticed it on both my
L1DCE/L2DCE lights

mchlwise

Enlightened
I noticed a quick fade from high to low also.

I think it's normal, and actually don't know how it could be "instant". My understanding of these kind of LED emitters is that they put out UV which excites a phosphor coating the UV emitter, and the excited phosphor in turn puts out the white light. Seems to me like much like an incandescent or a flourescent or really any other kind of light source, when you cut the power (instantly), the substance that was "excited" by the electricity and putting out the light has to "calm down" and stop putting out light, which takes a short (but noticeable) amount of time.

I believe this is part of what is happening.

I believe the other part is the regulation circuit. When you turn the light on in low, there is a very brief "flash" of brighter light before it drops to the low level. I beleive the regulation circuit has to "charge up" kinda before it regulates, so for an instant it's full output and the circuit then regulates it to low.

I think the combination of these two factors accounts for the "fade" from turbo to low.

It doesn't bother me. In fact, I kinda like it better than if it was a sudden drop.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does it too. I think there was a thread on fixing the beam as well. Mine is a
little ringy too.

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
I think this is because of the digital regulation circuit in the L1DCE--I believe it actually throttles up or down the resistance to achieve the required output.

The L1T/L2T relies on a purely mechanical solution for the different outputs--when you twist the LxT closed, the second the full power circuit is completed, the light turns on.

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
mchlwise said:
I noticed a quick fade from high to low also.

I think it's normal, and actually don't know how it could be "instant". My understanding of these kind of LED emitters is that they put out UV which excites a phosphor coating the UV emitter, and the excited phosphor in turn puts out the white light. Seems to me like much like an incandescent or a flourescent or really any other kind of light source, when you cut the power (instantly), the substance that was "excited" by the electricity and putting out the light has to "calm down" and stop putting out light, which takes a short (but noticeable) amount of time.

I believe this is part of what is happening.

I believe the other part is the regulation circuit. When you turn the light on in low, there is a very brief "flash" of brighter light before it drops to the low level. I beleive the regulation circuit has to "charge up" kinda before it regulates, so for an instant it's full output and the circuit then regulates it to low.

I think the combination of these two factors accounts for the "fade" from turbo to low.

It doesn't bother me. In fact, I kinda like it better than if it was a sudden drop.
I believe that to incorrect. When you turn the light to "off," it does not fade to off. It shuts off. Strobe mode also does not fade, or it would be useless. Your argument does not support its own theory.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mchlwise said:

I think this is the cause to. And the variations reported (some say it's instant) is the variaton of what the observer consider instant drop off is.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
My L1D CE also "dims" to low from turbo. Maybe it's done on purpose.
Looks kinda cool actually :)

CoolLEDs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all who responded. I'm glad to know my light isn't the only one that exhibits this behavior. As others have speculated, I guess it has something to do the regulation circuit.

PB92

Newly Enlightened
Hookup with SKYWLKR, he does a cool 123 body mod, and you can still use AA's.