Looking for something like arc

Esthan

Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I've already owned a ARC AAA P. Been quite satisfied with it, and currently
consider to get one for myself, but maybe there is something better on the
market.

I currently EDC a RAW NS Cree 120/10 with me. The problem is, that:
- first, I do not trust it that much. It's a piece of utlilitary art, but is still to much art in it.
- it's driven with uncommon 14250 Li-Ions that are hard to find in outdoors.

So what I'm basicly looking for is:
- AAA driven
- HA III
- As simple as possible
- 5 or 3mm LED emiter (THC3, MJ LED)
- floody beam
- small/no regulation
- tough
- reliable
- twisty
- one stage (can even be two, but one is the best option)
- some knurling - but not aggresive
- price is not a key factor
- ca 2-4 lumens (EDIT: come to think of this, 2-4 is better than 10 for me :])

Simply said something like ARC AAA P but not ARC AAA P ;)

Last edited:

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest the same thing. The Fenix E1. It uses and Nichia power led, HAIII, runs on a AAA, good run times, put out about 12 lumens. I really like mine.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I would suggest a Peak Matterhorn with a single 5mm Snow White LED. The single LED with reflector has more flood than the 3xLED with no reflector.
It's available in several body configurations and with either High Power or Ultra Power head. I've had a high power single LED with a lug body on my keychain for a year. It's been great and very reliable. The head could use a little more grip for one-hand operation, but if the threads and O-ring are properly lubed and you make sure the battery contacts are clean, it's fine for a simple, easy twistie with no flicker.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Fenix E1. Also, for a bit more flood and runtime, but less output, the Fenix E0 is nice.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
If you want something that is like an Arc that isn't an Arc, you might try the Peak Matterhorn, which is Arc's direct competitor, originally spun off by a (disgruntled?) employee. Not only can you get it in HA, you can get it in brass and stainless steel, both very interesting options. Peak recommends brass, by the way. It's yet undetermined which company makes better lights, although there is something to be said for Peak allowing the customer to choose which LED s/he wants at no extra cost.

As others have already mentioned, the Fenix E0 and E1 are good choices as well. It can be argued that the E0/E1 have superior engineering and better circuitry than the Arc-AAA, but without much of an electronics background I hesitate to call judgement.

mapet

Newly Enlightened
I own Fenix E0 and E1. And I have just bought my 3rd Arc. Go get one too.

Esthan

Enlightened
Mapet cholero jedna ;)

I do not know why is it so, can't explain it even to myself, but I'm not much of a fan of Fenix lights.
As for Peak, I do not like it's discharge curves, also the unscrewable tail part worries me. Those have the tendency to unscrew themselves and are for me unnecessary.

Aside of getting a new ARC I'm out of ideas, do You have any ? :]

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
When I bought my two Peak Matterhorns, they had 3 body versions. The keychain version that you mention that can unscrew, and the solid lug version that doesn't come off, as well as the plain pocket-body. I got the solid lug for my keychain to avoid it coming loose and the plain model for my coin pocket. I've had good runtime with mine but I rarely use them as primary lights so I'm not really pushing them for long stretches.
I also have two Fenix E1 models and they're nicely made but the beam isn't great and the brightness versus runtime on mine tended toward the brighter/shorter end when compared to a 5mm model.
I like my Fenix L0P-SE because it's still simple to operate but does have 3 levels.
Other than Arc, Peak, and Fenix what other 1xAAA 5mm better lights are out there? I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
So what I'm basicly looking for is:
- AAA driven
- HA III
- As simple as possible
- 5 or 3mm LED emiter (THC3, MJ LED)
- floody beam
- small/no regulation
- tough
- reliable
- twisty
- one stage (can even be two, but one is the best option)
- some knurling - but not aggresive
- price is not a key factor
- ca 10 lumens
I wonder why you want a 3mm or 5mm emitter. Why not a Luxeon or SSC? Also, why don't you like regulation?

I think a Peak Baltic with a SSC P4 HP might fulfill your functional requirements. It' bright and pretty floody, uses AAA, tough, twists on/off using the head, simple and IMO is well made.

Esthan

Enlightened

3 or 5mm takes less place and the housing is much more durable then SSC or CREE. With 3 or 5mm a need
for Lens is eliminated.

Why don't I like regulation ? In a city regulation is useful, You can always buy some batts or carry spares
with You. Outdoors is a different topic:
1. The more You know the less you carry ;)
2. Regulation always takes some juice to power itself
3. Good regulation - just like SF A2 Incan has a tendency to say "Not enough mana" when You least expect it.
Also, with direct drive You are usually able to approximate how much time is left before Your flashlight will
become useless.

Since I'm a minimalist, the keychainlight I'm looking for, should be able to work as a backup light in the outdoors,
a reliable one to depend on :D No shelf queens or kings allowed here.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
what you want is a miller mods CREE two stage ARC AAA mod

cy

Flashaholic
Miller mods two stage Cree ARC AAA mod has to be one of the sweetest mods of 2007!

has the nicest AAA form factor ever made in ARC AAA. with performance of latest Cree output.... all using a alk or nmh AAA cell. no li-ion required or desired.

cree's beam pattern is taylor made for little to no reflector designs. low vf suits 1.5 cell design. I chose the lower current version for no heatsink issues.

two stage twisty is the cleanest user interface available. ARC company needs to take miller mods design and put it into production. it's that good!

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing the rivals the ARC's legendary quality and reliability is a another all-American brand: The Peak LED solutions. The closet model to an Arc is the Peak Matterhorn, it's a solid piece of equipment. The stainless steel version is marvelous.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have a stainless Matterhorn and it's indestructable, a real quality item, but I dunno if I'd edc it since it weighs a ton. HA3 aluminum is a more sensible material for this type of light.