Need Advice on Rechargeables For 3 Lights

Bake

Newly Enlightened
I have questions concerning rechargeable batteries for three lights that I have. Rather than start three topics I thought some of you may prefer that I consolidate them into a single thread. Thanks to anyone that may be able to help.

Magcharger:
I need to replace the batteries in my Magcharger. I would like to continue using the factory charger. I have seen that most suggest 1/2 D cells. Can someone tell me what I should look for in these cells that will give me the best performance?

Brinkmann MaxFire Xenon Rechargeable:
I have this light and the charger that came with it. It is a decent light but it seems like the batteries are a weak point. Is there a better rechargeable battery that I could use in it, again using the factory charger if possible. The factory battery stick consist of four cells. 2/3A Ni-Cd x 4 650mAh 4.8V.

Surefire U2:
I have seen post stating that an 18650 rechargeable cell works well in the U2. Mine has no plastic sleeve inside. However, I have also read that some of the newer ones no longer use the plastic inserts but the body must be drilled out to accept an 18650. I bought mine used so I have no idea how old it is. How can I tell if the body will accept these cells? Also, could someone point me in the right direction on which cells to buy? I would also need a charger. I don't want to spend a fortune on a charger but would like something that isn't junk either. If I could buy one charger that could be used for the 18650s and for the Brinkman batteries as well that would be a plus.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help out here.

-Bake

Last edited:

Anders

Enlightened
Hello Bake.

Surefire U2: My U2 had that plastic sleeve in it, I removed it.
The number is A09022 on my U2.

The diameter is now 18,60 mm inside the tube.

18650 from AW (protected) is 18,45 mm.

Pila IBC is my recommendation to charge 18650 with, it cost more than DSD but is much quicker.
Ultrafire [SIZE=-1]WF-139 is very common but many users have reported high voltage on their cells, more than 4,2, sometimes a lot more with this one.

Pila is the safest one of theese, then DSD and Ultrafire is last.

Of course there is many better chargers but they is more expensive.
schultze, triton, and hyperion is better for instance.

If you look in this thread you will find another alternative, [/SIZE] DN/Tenergy 4P 2A Parallel Charger.

Anders

Last edited:

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Hi Anders,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Looking at mine with the cheap china made ruler that I have it appears that the inner diameter of the tube is less than 18mm. I guess I should get a more accurate tool to measure it before I spend money on cells that may not fit. The number on mine is A20469. Not sure if that helps but perhaps someone will know the specs on a given serial number.

Thanks also for your thoughts on chargers. I'll check those out in case I am able to fit a rechargeable cell.

-Bake