Day to Day - DN/Tenergy4P, FMA-Cellpro/HD6S and Voltcraft Balanced Sys. Charging

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

History . . .

A few weeks ago Tronic discovered the Voltcraft Cradle as sold by Conrad {pick your site and search using 512034} and posted about it in the LuxLuthor discussion thread about balance charging systems here. There has now been quite an extensive discussion about this cradle and the DN/Tenergy 4P and FMA-Cellpro chargers (reviewed here) and the parallel charging of various packs and cells. (there are also 37 pages dedicated to balance charging DN etc. on an RCGroup Forum thread

It has also spawned the excellent Voltcraft Li-Ion Battery Holder - Newbie Modding Guide

CY has also posted a cautionary thread warning about the dangers of LiIon charging here

Now . . .

The Kit

DN/Tenergy 4P 2A Parallel Charger ~ $80 (inc. adaptors) Here and Here
(Prices vary depending on adapters chosen - check postage and availability before order !)
Tenergy 5A Power Supply ~ $20 + Postage

Tenergy + PS Bundle ~ $95 Here +Postage and any adapters

FMA-CellPro-4S 3A Balance Charger ~$65 Here (not owned by me)

FMA-BalancePro-6S 10A Balance Charger ~$105 Here

Voltcraft Cradle 4x Round Cell ~€13 as sold by Conrad {pick your site and search using 512034} not available direct to Conus

How it Works . . .

Some people expressed concerns that the 5A Switch mode power supply might not be up to the job !
So first test using this setup with a clamp meter on the PS, and a Fluke meter in-line with cell1.

4x AW C cells empty - Charging at 2A (1.96A meter) and PS running at 3.9A (clamp on 10mV/Amp setting)
[URL="http://imageshack.us"][/URL]

So no problems there - even ran at 5.5A with my FMA-6S charging 4 cells at 3.2A with no apparent worries so my guess is it may well power the FMA-CellPro4S as well at 4cellsx3A

I normally run my FMA-6S on an 8A transformer type power supply so rather impressed that the cheap little Tenergy PS worked so well.

This is my test rig for the FMA-6S showing set at 2A with a 1.97A flow registering.

The serial link software is the only way to set charge rate accurately on the FMA-6S as the rotary pot is quite sensitive and easy to move accidentally. The scale on the pot gives no real hint of where 3A might be but does show the A123 position for if/when any useful sizes appear in that formulation.

Back to the DN/Tenergy 4P

Neat things about this charger are the display which shows Voltage and relative charge (very approximately) of any inserted cell in the charge cradle - so you can use it as a simple battery checker if needed.

and the ability to start and stop charging on the button - for example you can load in some random cells and start charging at an appropriate rate for the smallest cell - then when any cells are charged -OK- stop and just remove them and continue setting a higher rate if desired for the remaining cells

Ready to charge at 1.2A (Actually all pretty much charged - Demo photo)
Note: Voltcraft Cradle with modified neg posts to fit longer cells.

Whip one out and carry on - charging raised to 2A

Display showing 2 charged and 2 charging (reduced rate nearing end of charge)

The little meter bars show relative charge before charging - fill up . reset . fill up - to show charging active and stop at full when charged - Also says OK when ~98%full but carries on slow charging to 100% then stops fully.

When all the cells are charged to 98%+ the displays all show OK and the beeper starts to go off.

The cells not at 100% continue to charge and the beeper continues to go off every 90seconds for TEN BEEPS - and its really loud - and have I said it's really LOUD and it goes on for ever . . . but you will never miss the end of charge with this charger. Some people block the beeper !

But really the last 2% is not much to worry about and using both the DN/Tenergy4P and the FMA-6S I find it best to stop at 98% anyway - the last little bit can take ages . . .

In Use . . .

The DN/Tenergy +PS +Voltcraft Combo is very much "plug and play" the only proviso is don't set too high a charge rate for your smallest cell as all cells charge at the same maximum rate.

Another neat thing is that you can charge a pack using one of the dedicated white sockets say a 2s or 3s with balancing (or without at your own risk) and still use the Voltcraft to charge another cell (or 2) in any free channel.

The manual that comes with the DN/Tenergy can be either a Chinglish one (DN) or a better English translated version (Tenergy) but the circuit diagrams in both are still slightly wrong in their cell numbering. These are corrected diagrams

. . . hope that helps to wire up any special cables.

How does the DN/Tenergy compare to the FMA-CellPro 4S and 6S

The two four cell chargers look at first quite similar but are actually quite different.

The DN is in a robust metal case while the CellPro4S is two boards and some heat shrink ! but it does look like it works ! ! ! There are holes for air in the DN case !

The DN has the Green Plug which makes making up special leads or cables very simple and a plethora of white sockets too. The CellPro single output plug can be made to fit anything too but you need to make a dedicated lead up.

When used with the Voltcraft cradle the DN is plug and play - just fill as many bays as you like.
Using the FMA-Cellpro chargers means fitting the correct tails to the cradle depending on number in use - the last POS must always be the Charger POS so you have to move it to the relevant position.

But the 4S does charge at a max rate of 3A . . .
It has full status display via the LCD screen using the mode button to switch info. Indeed pack charge level (fuel level) and added Amp-hours are additionally available on this display.

I don't have an FMA-CellPro4S so this is from the excellent review by TrexTuning.com
TrexTuning.com said:
see Full Professional Review - CellPro System at www.trextuning.com

Excerpt

FMA CellPro 4S Charger

The Cellpro charger is the smaller brother of the FMA-BalancePro-HD6S charger described above. This charger is capable of charging up to 4S packs. It can charge at a maximum rate of 3 amps. Just like the skyvolt charger it charges on a per cell basis and balances the pack as it goes. It has exactly the same charge algorithms as the BalancePro charger and therefore functionality is extremely similar between the two.

Whilst these chargers share the same charge algorithms there are a number of differences between them. Firstly the Cellpro will only charge up to 4S packs, it has a lower maximum charge rate of 3 amps and it is designed to connect to packs with the Cellpro balance plug rather than a BalancePro balance plug. Most noticeably it also has an LCD display. It does not have any configuration buttons or dials except for a single button on the side of the charger which changes the LCD display mode. Similar to the BalancePro charger it can be connected to a PC using the PC interface cable.

The LCD display provides a status showing the current charge level expressed as a percentage and also all of the individual cell voltages for a pack connected to the charger. The display also shows the current charge rate for the pack connected to the charger.

Most significantly there is no need to set the charge rate. The charger is an intelligent charger and will work out for itself an appropriate charge rate for whatever pack is connected. It aims to initiate the charge at 1C. However, for those who like to have some control it is possible to set the charge rate manually using the little button on the side of the charger. This button will allow you to set the charge rate from .25 amps upwards in increments of .25 amps. This can be set up to the charge maximum of 3 amps.

If connected to a PC via the PC interface cable the charger connects with the charging software and allows the user to display charge graphs and so on. Exactly the same as the FMA-BalancePro-HD6S charger and software.

Cellpro charger . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cellpro charger Side view
LCD display LCD display LCD display LCD display

How the Voltcraft works with the FMA chargers and different numbers of cells

Tails fitted for 3 cells - FMA-Voltcraft

but . . .with the FMA-6S you can do 6 cells at once (and you could charge at even higher rates if needed ? D Cells ? with upgraded wiring in the cradle of course)

How about charge times I hear you ask ?

Well for charging 4 C-cells at 2A this is how it works . . .

Take 4 C cells - relatively similar discharge states - eg. they all came from the same flashlight.

DN/Tenergy to 98% 120minutes

FMA-BalancePro 6S to 98% 96minutes
probably the same sort of time for the CellPro4S

The FMA is faster and can charge at a higher rate still giving
Time to 98% @ 3A as around 60minutes.

But when it comes to really seriously unbalanced cells - like we get when charging cells from different flashlights then the picture changes dramatically.
The FMA chargers fast charge until one cell reaches 4.2V and then balances the charge between the cells this can mean that charge current overall is very low as the shunts transfer the current - this means that charge time can extend massively as all the low charge cells are now only getting reduced current that drops from 3A to 1.5A quite quickly then reduces more to 0.4-0.8A instead of the 3A expected. What the FMAs see as a "bad pack" however is repaired - it just takes time.

Answer for rapid charging - always charge similar state cells together.

4 seriously missmatched 17650s (from graphical software for FMA chargers )

With the DN - so what if one cell is fully charged - that channel just switches off and the remaining channels charge at their max rate (up to 2A) for each cells condition - overall charge time for all the cells is just the longest charge time - and you could remove charged cells and use them at any time.

This goes back to the original design purpose of the charger - Pack charging with balancing - Packs are kept more in balance at any time during their charge cycle in the FMAs so that if a pack is taken off charge early then it will be reasonably in balance at that time.

The FMAs also have the ability to resurrect very over-discharged cells that the DN/Tenergy will refuse to charge.

It all comes down to personal choice, expected use and acceptable compromises.

If you want a drop in charge system that just works and is almost thought free then the DN/Tenergy fits the bill.
For larger cells with faster charging (as long as all the cells are from the same flashlight - hence at about the same state) then the FMA-CellPro4S does the job and can use the cheap PS from the DN/T no problem.

Personally I want a 6 (8) channel parallel charger that charges at up to 10A (A123 included) and will resurrect badly discharged cells, with a switchable back-lit LCD with full status per channel, a big green screw terminal output socket, computer link and graphing software, switchable beep warning tone and flashing LED status lights, auto detect capacity - charge rate function (forgot to mention the CellPro4S has that at 1.4 and 1C preset) for selectable 0.5 to 1.5C charge rate (preferably at a per channel level ! ! !), selectable cut off 4.1V/4.2V/?

and really cheap

And a really cheap, good power supply

And a true universal LiIon charge cradle supporting up to 10A (but cheap too) for all sizes and shapes

And . . .

This may well be updated again but that's about it for now . . .

Happy Charging
Pete

Update : e-Station BC-6 and Aircraft800 Charger Mod

Aircraft800's Cheap NiCd/Mh Charger Mod
Finally finished making my charging adapter. It took me a lot longer than I hoped, but the final product is AWESOME!

I made a removable balance plug out the left side so my Li-Ion's can be happy, and added Charging lead jacks at each station for multiple cell charging. I can charge Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh 1-4 series if I disconnect the balance plug.

If you plan on making one of these, I suggest you leave the circuit board intact, just cut all of the traces and remove other un-necessary junk. Find some Silicone Lead Wire, I used AWM 3123 600V 16AWG so that the contacts slide freely. And definitely use the LuxLuthor tutorial.

Click on the pictures for larger images.

I think I'm going Li-Ion for everything for now on...

The e-station BC6 AC/DC alternative for all std. chemistries
LuxLuthor's second pass used the flat connector / JST connector on the Tenergy to one fitted into the side of the Voltcraft ...I was thinking that then you wouldn't have to connect the leads to the appropriate jacks on the Voltcraft (like for 2 or 4 cells) - or was that setup only for 4 cells?

On the Tenergy, you can use the Green parallel charging plug, and you will not need to connect the specific JST connector.

With the e-station type chargers, in my experience, you do not have to connect the appropriate jack for the number of cells you are charging, you can use the voltcraft and the 4 cell plug, and in the charger menu, select how many cells you are using. I have a RC-Power 601 BC which is a knockoff e-station. I do have to move the positive main charging lead to the last cell in the series, but I only use the 4 cell balance plug. When I start the charge, the charger asks :"How Many Cells" and I select, and everything works great.

I hope that helps. I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought a e-station BC6 AC/DC just to make my charging station less cluttered.

Cheap NiCd/Mh Charger Sources
I sourced a few more of these UNIVERSAL Chargers, all priced to MOD! Or just copy the key words and Google.....

Vanson V-1199 AA AAA C D 9V NiMH & NiCd Rechargeable Battery Charger
http://batteryjunction.com/vavaaaaacd9v.html

CH-V1199 Universal Ni-MH/Ni-Cd Battery Charger for AA, AAA, C, D, and 9V
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8

UltraLast Desktop Battery Charger
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0213174

LENMAR 5-in-1 Battery Charger : PRO541
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4560007?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

ALL would work fine if you follow LuxLuthor's

Voltcraft Li-Ion Battery Holder - Newbie Modding Guide

Found HERE:

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been away for a couple of days.... are the cradles now able to be shipped to the US?

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
cue003 said:
I have been away for a couple of days.... are the cradles now able to be shipped to the US?

Hi cue

No - still need to get a group buy together for Conus supply - I believe Tronic has offered to send some to members in US if someone can do US forwarding. Postage costs quite high (but not totally prohibitive) - better in larger numbers - I believe.

I posted 3 to the US and it was almost $40 postage. Tronic seems to be able to get the cost down for more at once.

Cheers Pete

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Yep - what they all said - great job.

I have my AW C cells sitting in a Pelican box, waiting to be charged up! You guys are all doing a great service for all Li-Ion users! Thanks!

:) john

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
WoW! Petrev, you just wrote the "Bible" on everything that is available about balanced charging and options with Li-Ions. Really great information here.

I'll post some pictures of my charging setup with Hyperion & balancer with 2nd cradle setup in the next day or two.

I'm trying to get a bunch of sticks in the fire for universal cradles, but these things move slow. I do think there are adequate charger options now that will do safe balanced charging. I still think the best option as a package charger/power supply is the DN/Tenergy combo for the average user. It's still loads faster than the 600 mA 2 slot Pila charger, and not that many are going to spring for the more advanced charger.

Next project I'm starting on is making some balance charging leads for some FM battery holders that will come out the tailcap.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pete, thanks for the info. PM sent your way last night. not sure if you got it.

Curtis

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Added another comparison graph

. . .

I agree with Lux on the great plug and play - drop in - nature of the DN/TE +PS +Voltcraft. Great combo for everyday use - It's great to just throw a couple of cells in, dial up the current rate and push the start button. Go away and do some chores around the house and when the alarm-level bleeper goes off you know they are done !

. . .

Last edited:

DeLighted

Newly Enlightened
This and the first thread on these charging setups are a wealth of knowledge. I want to build a couple.
I haven't seen anything on a group buy or a source for the VoltCraft Cradle. Is there a source to get a couple of these in the U.S. ?
:thinking:

Thanks

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Pete,

Somehow, I missed this write up. It is excellent. Thanks for putting this information together.

It is interesting to observe the differences between the two chargers.

When you pull the cells at 98% charged and let them sit for around 15 minutes, what are you getting for open circuit resting voltages?

Tom

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Pete,

Somehow, I missed this write up. It is excellent. Thanks for putting this information together.

It is interesting to observe the differences between the two chargers.

When you pull the cells at 98% charged and let them sit for around 15 minutes, what are you getting for open circuit resting voltages?

Tom

Hi Tom

4.163V - 4.165V

Hope that tells you something !

Cheers Pete

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Pete,

I have been evaluating a formula that predicts the state of charge based on resting voltage.

Your cells work out to around 96% charged. If you were shooting for 98%, you are very close.

Tom

Tronic

Newly Enlightened
This and the first thread on these charging setups are a wealth of knowledge. I want to build a couple.
I haven't seen anything on a group buy or a source for the VoltCraft Cradle. Is there a source to get a couple of these in the U.S. ?
:thinking:
Thanks
PM sent...

More information for other interested people follow soon.