Output Comparision-- SL Strion vs. SF A2

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Does anyone have experience with both of these lights? I know what out of the A2 looks like on its own, however I've never owned a Strion. I'm thinking about getting a Strion, but would rather hear your thoughts on its relative output vs. something that's already known by me. In this case, the SureFire A2.

who

Newly Enlightened
I do not have a real Strion or TL3. However I use 5Mega kits with Strion and TL3 bulbs in several E2Es. I also have a number of A2s. This is my observation in the order of brightness:

Strion in E2E < A2 < LF EO-E2R in E2E < TL3 in E2E

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the strion throws further, but it is a pencil beam of light at its tightest setting. I find the A2 beam more useful, but maybe the strion is what you are looking for.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have an A2.

I've got a Strion lamp mounted in a Scorpion socket base, installed in a bored out Brinkman Maxfire. It runs on a single 18650 cell, and makes a perfectly acceptable beam. I'm pretty sure the whole thing cost me a lot less than either a Strion or an A2.

I have a ExE series Surefire head with a Lumens Factory lamp (EO-E1R) on a TranquillityBase E series 18650 body. This is one of my favorite lights, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. The trouble is finding a TB 18650 body. Even with the cost of the TB body, it don't think it cost (much) more than an A2.

I do not own an A2, and I doubt I ever will. It's a very tempting light, but I'm not too keen on anything that can't take a rechargeable cell. I know some people have had success with a pair of R123A cells, but the runtime looks poor and there are concerns about the increase voltage vs. the LEDs. You can retrofit the LED ring, but... by this point, it's just too much trouble.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I do not have an A2.

I've got a Strion lamp mounted in a Scorpion socket base, installed in a bored out Brinkman Maxfire. It runs on a single 18650 cell, and makes a perfectly acceptable beam. I'm pretty sure the whole thing cost me a lot less than either a Strion or an A2.

I have a ExE series Surefire head with a Lumens Factory lamp (EO-E1R) on a TranquillityBase E series 18650 body. This is one of my favorite lights, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. The trouble is finding a TB 18650 body. Even with the cost of the TB body, it don't think it cost (much) more than an A2.

I do not own an A2, and I doubt I ever will. It's a very tempting light, but I'm not too keen on anything that can't take a rechargeable cell. I know some people have had success with a pair of R123A cells, but the runtime looks poor and there are concerns about the increase voltage vs. the LEDs. You can retrofit the LED ring, but... by this point, it's just too much trouble.

While I appreciate your feedback (I really don't, but thought it was the right thing to say), please tell me how your response has anything to do with my question? You don't own an A2, you don't own a Strion and on top of all that, you use my thread as an opportunity to give your opinion about the A2's ability to use RCR123 cells.

For the others, thanks for the constructive feedback. I'm still undecided on the Strion. I currently have a 2x168A Stinger with TL-3 and a stock Stinger being delivered. I liked the idea of the smaller based Strion, but maybe I'll hold off a bit.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I appreciate your feedback (I really don't, but thought it was the right thing to say), please tell me how your response has anything to do with my question?

You are correct. My response has nothing to do with your question. Please accept my apologies for my off topic comments.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have had both lights and I preferred the A2 beam quality and whiteness. I also could never charge the Strion up to 4.2 volts with the supplied charger. I checked voltage at the two metal connectors on Strion body, which is a direct connection to battery.

Bill