Fenix L2D Q5 Scratched ~!

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
hi. i just scratched my fenix l2d q5 flash light badly by dropping it on the road... and i m not happy now. what can i do about the scratch? how do i DIY to conceal it nicely? i tried permanent marker but they come off quickly.

sorry if this question sounds silly.

gunga

Flashaholic
You'll get 2 arguements here:

1. It's a chracter mark and tool, so live with it.
2. Damn, that sucks, love it when a light stays minty, try to fix it.

I tend to baby my stuff so #2 for me.

I messed up an L2T a bit and ended up using a bit of marker, it seems to work okay.

I've heard of a thing called aluminum black, likely works better? You could also carefully sand down the rough edges and then marker it (perhaps a little less noticable after you smooth out the pits).

What I recently did to a black L0D was strip off all the anodizing with oven cleaner and polish it. The finish is now slippery and a bit fragile (bare aluminum) but it's kinda neat and any more marks can be buffed out somewhat.

Not ideal, but just a suggestion...

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
You'll get #2 from me. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice for fixing it, but I'll offer you my deepest sympathies. I'm still hurting from a tiny chip in the anodizing on the bezel of my p3d; so I understand you.

txmatt

Enlightened
Maybe paint pen from a crafts store. Will chip off eventually but easy enough to reapply.

jugg2

Enlightened
#1 here. I don't purposely abuse my lights, but if the get a little scratched or dinged up I'm ok with it. I understand the other viewpoint as well, wanting to keep your lights in perfect condition.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
hi. i just scratched my fenix l2d q5 flash light badly by dropping it on the road... and i m not happy now. what can i do about the scratch? how do i DIY to conceal it nicely? i tried permanent marker but they come off quickly.

sorry if this question sounds silly.

Hi.
If your light is black, then you can use a liquid from Birchwood casey called Aluminum black. I use it for my aluminum framed guns for the scratches/wear and it works great. It doesn't rub off easily like permanent marker and dulls down to a sheen very similar to the original anodizing. You'll have to reapply several times without wiping off. It can be a little difficult to use at first, but you'll get the hang of it when you see the aluminum oxidize to the desired black finish. Hope this helps everyone else that has a "worn in" light.

http://www.jtbuckonline.com/browseproducts/Aluminum-Black-Metal-Finish.HTML <<<-----Look for this container.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, now's the time to use a rubber sheath/coating/tape to protect it, if you don't mind hiding the looks of the light. Otherwise, carry it in a holster to prevent pavement kisses in the future. Lastly, if you have a Fenix flashlight part that becomes peppered with dents/scratches over time, you may be able to purchase that part separately from a Fenix retailer to renew the appearance of your light.

Otherwise, the scratch is your light's initiation into the real world. We all get scarred as we go through life! It shows you've survived yet another wound.
;)

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't do anything to the scratches. The next time you drop the light, or nick it with your keys, it won't make you feel as bad.

I find that I tend to use a light more if it has some "character" to it.

Marduke

Flashaholic
#1 here. I'll pout if it's a really big dent, but after it's scratched, I'm not as afraid to really use it anymore. Therefore, I get MORE enjoyment out of a light after it's been scratched, because I get to use it even more :thumbsup:

houtex

Enlightened
Hi.
If your light is black, then you can use a liquid from Birchwood casey called Aluminum black. I use it for my aluminum framed guns for the scratches/wear and it works great. It doesn't rub off easily like permanent marker and dulls down to a sheen very similar to the original anodizing. You'll have to reapply several times without wiping off. It can be a little difficult to use at first, but you'll get the hang of it when you see the aluminum oxidize to the desired black finish. Hope this helps everyone else that has a "worn in" light.

http://www.jtbuckonline.com/browseproducts/Aluminum-Black-Metal-Finish.HTML <<<-----Look for this container.

I second that. I recently purchased the flat black pen from Bass Pro shops. The flat black is very flat,like an INOVA. Maybe the gloss black might do better. Don't use the tip of the pen for fine scrathes,it's too wide.I used the corner of an index card after loading it up with the product.

IcantC

Enlightened
Search won't work, so I can't find the thread. Some people cover them with tire tubing, heat shrink or this plasti dip paint.

Wicho

Enlightened
Just send me your light along with $55 in cash, small unmarked bills. I'll look at the light, feel the pain for you, and your money will have been my compensation for "pain and suffering".

The light will, of course, then remain with me as I will have developed an emotional connection with it. :D

On a serious note, try some of that Krylon black high temperature paint. It tends to stick really well. You'll have to tape up your light and only leave the ding exposed, but hey, it's worth a shot. Do multiple thin layers and you might even be able to build the ding back up so it's mostly flush with the light.

CWR712

Newly Enlightened
easy fix

put the light you have in your car for emergencies(or make up another usefull purpose)
buy a new one and enjoy it.

allways works for me.:whistle:

+1 !!! :thumbsup:

Zenster

Enlightened
While not terribly sophisticated, I have used the black, Sharpie brand felt tip permanent marker for years to touch up anything that's sort of a flat or semi-gloss black.

It looks glossy when you dab it on (to JUST the scratch itself.. not all over the place), but it dries to a what turns out to be a very durable (in the big scheme of things) and dullish black color that works well with lots of things like this.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
While not terribly sophisticated, I have used the black, Sharpie brand felt tip permanent marker for years to touch up anything that's sort of a flat or semi-gloss black.

It looks glossy when you dab it on (to JUST the scratch itself.. not all over the place), but it dries to a what turns out to be a very durable (in the big scheme of things) and dullish black color that works well with lots of things like this.

That's exactly how HA II lights are finished on DX!

:D

thezman

Enlightened
Everything I own has at least one scratch in it. Everything...:D

Life is much more enjoyable when you don't expect everything to remain perfect.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no HA-II, only HA-III and Type-II :shakehead :sigh:

It'd be fairly simple to Type-II anodize the scratch.

But I will say that scratches and marks are signs of a good investment. If you weren't getting your money's worth out of the thing using it, how would it get all scratched up?

Last edited: