Energizer D Cell 2500 mAh????

wanjeyin

Newly Enlightened
This might have been brought up before, so forgive me if this is a repeat post.

Is it me or is a pack of two Energizer D cells, with a capacity of 2500 mAH/cell, the rip-off of the century for CAD $12.99 at Canadian Tires???

I can see that the Energizer AA has a capacity of 2500 mAh, but one would think that their D size would have upwards of 10000+ mAh like their competitors. What's going on here???

Rant....

AJW

0650890_450_CC_5f035.jpg

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
this isn't the first time energizer did this, recall as early as 6V lantern threads where energizer crammed 4 D's into the 6V battery instead of the higher capacity F cells

:shrug::ohgeez::mad::rolleyes::sigh:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually an advantage, since 10,000 mAh cells take forever to charge at the typical charging rates of consumer chargers. :whistle:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
As WildChild suggessted, it's probably an Energizer 2500 AA in a "D" body. Looks like they found another way to get rid of ..... er, ahem, "use" the ever so popular Energizer 2500's! :)

Dave

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
As WildChild suggessted, it's probably an Energizer 2500 AA in a "D" body. Looks like they found another way to get rid of ..... er, ahem, "use" the ever so popular Energizer 2500's! :)

Dave

I think it's not AA size in them... But it's a good way for them to redirect people to their primary market: Alkaline! Prople buy them and find they don't last as long, they think rechargeables are crap and they go back to alkaline. They made money on the rechargeable, charger and then they will make money again on primaries...

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
They are the infamous total utter crap 2500mAh Energizer AA cells inside with a D cell wrapper around them. That's why they are so light in weight. The two Energizer family chargers that can do C's and D's are tuned to only charge these low capacity cells even. They absolutely will not charge the "real" ~10000mAh D NiMH cells.

You'd be better off running these instead. You get double the capacity, and can use a regular AA charger.

Of course, a real D NiMH set and charger would be better still.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are the infamous total utter crap 2500mAh Energizer AA cells inside with a D cell wrapper around them. That's why they are so light in weight. The two Energizer family chargers that can do C's and D's are tuned to only charge these low capacity cells even. They absolutely will not charge the "real" ~10000mAh D NiMH cells.

You'd be better off running these instead. You get double the capacity, and can use a regular AA charger.

I have this kind of sleeves and they are nice for my D size needs! I only need D size for a pump. ;)

Bones

Enlightened

From the Energizer site on their 2500mAh NiMH cell:

Stay Charged for Every Occasion

Long-Lasting Batteries and Innovative Chargers — More Power. More Often.

Energizer® Rechargeable AA 2500 mAh batteries provide long lasting rechargeable battery power — lasting up to 4 times longer in digital cameras versus leading ordinary alkaline (varies by device and usage). They also hold a charge for up to 6 months and can be recharged 100s of times. So, they're ready when you are. Pair them with the chargers that are right for you.
To me, this statement infers that the cell will have usable capacity after sitting for six months, which is a blatant falsehood.

As WildChild has noted, their D2 cell is but another example of their corporate greed turning people away from the rechargeable world.

It's no wonder they can keep their annoying bunny advertisements going and going, all they have to do is redirect the funding they're not spending on delivering even a decent quality rechargeable product.

The italics font in the Energizer quote was inserted by me.

Phlack

Newly Enlightened
I think I saw these 2500Mah Energizers in Best Buy the other day. I couldn't believe my eyes.

-Mike

Have you opened it up? I don't think it's AA inside, but a sub-C. a 2500mAh sub-C wouldn't be a ultra-capacity type, so the internal resistance should be considerably lower.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
It's actually an advantage, since 10,000 mAh cells take forever to charge at the typical charging rates of consumer chargers. :whistle:
Yeah...well...okay...that's just one point in its favor, but you can achieve a D cell with an adapter plus a "AA" 2500 mA/hr for a tiny fraction of that Energizer D 2500 mA/hr cost. Those things sell for about $12 at Target which is $6 each. For $6 you can buy an awesome cell from Thomas distributor. That's where a lot of people call fraud becuase a 2500mA "AA" cell can be had for $1.60 and the shell adapter another $1.50 like these.

http://www.greenbatteries.com/battery-adapter.html

For $2.95 you get two each of the following:
AAA -> AA
AA -> C
C -> D

I bought a dozen of those adapters and I had a blast loading the "D" shell starting with a 900 mA AAA battery just to see how far I could push those "AAA". It was a rainy weekend.

But in all honesty, I found that using a LSD NiMh "C" cell with a 4500 mA/hr capacity from Thomas Distributor in the "D" cell shell adapter was a good compromise for capacity, charging time, and cost effectiveness for most "D" cell application. Those energizers are just a rip-off at $6 each.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's not AA size in them.
I believe you're right. IIRC the previous thread about these had a link to someone who had opened one up, and it wasn't an AA he found inside. I think it was a little shorter and fatter.

+1 for the comments about Energizer wanting to drive people to use alkalines.

Edit: I think this was the link, which is the same article as posted just above by Marduke but is possibly the original source.

PS. Yes. Marduke, your linked article is hotlinking their pictures.

Last edited: