What is the best LED???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
So somewhere I missed the class on all the cool new LEDs and what the differences are between them, so here it is.
What Is the difference Between the Cree XR-E Q5 , Q whatever, the P4, P7 and so on.
I have heard that the P7 creates a very wide beam but i havent really heard anything about the others. If and one could shed some "lite"(lol, ok that was a pretty bad pun) on this i would appreciate it.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree and Seoul single die emitters (q5/p4) are around the same output, give or take, for the same generation bins. The main difference is emitter size. The cree is a bit smaller than the seoul, where the p4 is supposed to have a cleaner beam, I'm guessing the frosted effect has something to do with this.
Another advantage of the p4 is that is the same size as some of the old luxeons and can be used to retrofit old lights with the addition of spacers for focusing the optics/reflectors.

The P7 and the upcoming CREE MC-E are multi die (4x) emitters. Basically just 4 q5/r2/p4 jammed into a small footprint. They vary in terms size and wiring. So they don't achieve better efficiency they make the about the same amount of light with the same amount of juice, they just use more of it. That said the MC-E is supposed to be the same size as a current q5 or r2 when it is released. Making it more useful for a strong focused light. The P7 is a very large emitter, and would make for a nice flood light.
Also the P7 is parallel only, so it requires high levels of current (for led) to run at full output, around 2.5-3a. The MC-E has an advantage here. It is more versatile, and can be setup in either parallel, series or mix of the two.
This enables it to be powered by a wider range of power sources.

Last edited:

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Thank you this was very helpfull.
So, any idea when the MC-E is coming out.

I also heard about a new LED that surefire is coming outwith. Anyone heard about this?

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
ok, i was told to try this post herebecause i would prolly get more/ better feedback here.

I dont mean to break the rules.
How do i go about deleting this one?

DM51

Flashaholic
Hello again, Mr Camper! I'll close it for you. As has been pointed out to you, it is cross-posted, which is not allowed as it uses up space and just causes confusion.

Please continue in your other identical thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.