Shock Isolation ex. SF M2

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone explain how the Shock isloation system helps lights like the M2? Am I correct to assume the S.I. system is self contained in the head?

So my question is how does this help? does this help to keep the P60 type bulb in constant contact with the body so there is no disruption nor interruption with the light shining?

Now I hear people say that putting a P60L lamp or any other LED drop-in into a M2 light is a waste of the S.I. System as LEDs dont suffer from shock as incans.

Is this really the case? what makes incans susceptible to shock if it isnt a contact issue. Otherwise if it is a contact issue, wouldnt the P60L bulbs also suffer from contact issues as a P60?

matt0

Enlightened
I don't think its a connection problem but rather a bulb problem. The filaments in incandescent bulbs is fragile and the recoil from a rifle is enough to cause the filament to break and make the bulb go :poof:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SI system physically isolates the lamp assembly from the head, in exactly the same way that a pelican hard case filled with foam isolates whatever equipment is put inside the foam inside the hard shell. Smack the shell with a hammer and you smack the hard outer case, which is isolated from the inner piece of equipment by the foam, which dampens the mechanical shock and vibration significantly.

The M2 SI head has foam between the P60 LA and the outside of the head. You can test this for yourself by pushing the LA forward and moving the rear end of it around in a circle. This protects the filament, which when running hot is indeed somewhat fraqile.

An LED assembly in the M2 SI head would benefit from the shock isolation, but the M2 SI head is larger than, say, the C2, D2, or 6P head, and also longer, and the LED module just doesn't need the shock isolation. So why deal with the larger head.

Further, the foam between the inside and the outside retards the flow of heat, effectively insulating the P60L, making it run hotter. And that's not desireable. Also, the LA is recessed further inside the head on an M2 SI head, vs. a C2 head, so you lose a bit of light there that you would otherwise not.

Anyway, is all that clear?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I correct to assume the S.I. system is self contained in the head?

You are correct :eek:

In the M2, the bezel contains a section of soft foam which allows the lamp assembly some movement when under stress.

Is this really the case? what makes incans susceptible to shock if it isnt a contact issue. Otherwise if it is a contact issue, wouldnt the P60L bulbs also suffer from contact issues as a P60?

A bulb is more likely to smash from shock :eek: If it doesn't smash outright then the hot filament is very likely to be broken. For example, if you were to drop an incandescent flashlight that is switched on, it's more likely to break the bulb than if it were turned off when you dropped it. LEDs are far less susceptible to such damage.

In my experience LEDs are adequately protected by flashlights without shock isolation. I can't recall ever having an LED flashlight fail due to an impact, whereas I can recall several instances of incadescent flashlights failing in this manner.

I haven't put the M2's shock isolation to the test, but I have dropped an M6 onto concrete from 4-5 feet while the light was still on. The lamp assembly (MN21) was undamaged and the light didn't go out when dropped.

The shock isolation in SureFire's Millennium Series also helps to prevent damage to the lamp assemblies from recoil when used in conjunction with a firearm. For the M2 (specifically designed to be used with a handgun using the Rogers/SureFire technique) this is very important, but for the L5 (also designed for use with a handgun) it is not.

Hope this helps :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

EDIT - looks like js beat me to it :p

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note, does the SI system protect sided to side? Or is it mostly front to back?

The foam in the bezel allows the lamp assembly some movement from side to side, so I would say it is protected from side impacts. Not as much as "front to back", though.

Regards,
Tempest

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note, does the SI system protect sided to side? Or is it mostly front to back?

Both. Just as much front to back as side to side. There is a lot of foam between the front of the bezel and the front of the LA, which allows it to compress a long way there.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
ust as much front to back as side to side.

Yup, having opened up my M2 again and poking it about, you're right. There's just as much protection at the sides as there is at the front. I stand corrected :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

DM51

Flashaholic
IIRC the foam used by SF is neoprene closed-cell foam, which is the same superior-grade material used in diving wet-suits.