Plastic bodied car glove box light recommendations?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like plastic bodied flashlights for car lights due to the light weight and grip comfort. I much prefer grabbing one in sub freezing temperatures then a metal light. It also must be able to use lithium batteries again because of the cold. My current car light is a Streamlight SL4AA. While a very reliable light, it's a bit underwhelming particularly due to it's small hotspot. Not really so great for doing that under the hood checking or changing a tire. A Surefire G2L comes to mind. From what I read, it has a fairly wide beam, bright enough for most tasks and a long runtime. However at $67 (Lowes), it's a bit expensive for a car light that may go untouched for several months at a time.

So other then the two lights mentioned as well as a headlight which is always a good idea to carry as well, any other recommendations, particularly if it's closer to the Streamlight price?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Car light? Kept in glove box untill really needed?

G2 skip the L part for now.

Simply leave it as an incan while you save up your money for a good drop-in.

In a few months you can get yourself an M60L. :cool:

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened

+1 or get a Streamlight Propoly 4AA LED(I don't have one, but see it recommended here)

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_ProPolymer_4AA_LUXEON_LED_Flashlight.php

PS I think it is best to keep a cheap/reliable light in your car. Mainly due to theft. Don't want someone to break in and steal an expensive light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree,the standard G2 will provide good output.You can always keep the Pro-Poly as a back-up.Check CPF Marketplace-Good Deals.:D

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep standard incan SF G2's in three of our cars' glove boxes. Mine are the older ones without LOTC's, so I unscrew the heads and tailcaps a good bit to prevent accidental turn-on. IIRC the news have a LOTC, so it shouldn't be a problem.

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Surefire G2 as they're affordable, come in a variety of colors, and can be had in both LED and incandescent form to suit your liking. They are 'upgradeable' by way of purchasing a stronger and higher output drop-in, notably the Malkoff M60L, and the batteries have a ten year life which obviously has it's merits as the years go by.

ZMZ67's nailed this one on the head. Keep your eye out for a good deal on the Marketplace as they occasionally appear under $30, and it's pretty hard to damage one to the point of where it won't function thanks to the Nitrolon construction. Lastly, that lifetime warranty is also hard to turn down.

As for drop-ins, they, too, go on sale every so often on the Marketplace. If you're not in a rush and don't mind checking it diligently, a bargain can be had for a well made light.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is a good price. In this day of LED lights I'm a little concerned with the only one hour runtime but I suppose that is enough for most emergencies. Does the incandescent version still put out more light then the LED version? Also will the incandescent bulb survive a drop to the pavement. A few years ago, My E2 survived a drop but my 8AX did not. I suppose there probably aren't any good deals on a G2L.

You want a good price on a G2? :twothumbs

const451

Newly Enlightened
+ G2

You need a flashlight with lithium batteries in your car as they will work in lower temperatures and have long shelf life.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
G2, someone posted a good deal on the camo-version for ~$25 IIRC. Good USA-made primaries can withstand a very broad temperature range and are good for nearly 10 years.

Spydermonkey

Newly Enlightened
Big Lots has the Coast model 7486 for $10 with batts included. Really cheap and decent output and run time for the money.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is a good price. In this day of LED lights I'm a little concerned with the only one hour runtime but I suppose that is enough for most emergencies. Does the incandescent version still put out more light then the LED version? Also will the incandescent bulb survive a drop to the pavement. A few years ago, My E2 survived a drop but my 8AX did not. I suppose there probably aren't any good deals on a G2L.

I have both and the LED version has more output than the standard lamp but I still find incandescent light to be better for outdoor use. The G2L uses a Seoul P4 and it is on the cool side.The G2L is also significantly more expensive than the standard G2.A cheaper LED substitute that will probably give a much warmer tint and as much or more output is the INOVA T1.I haven't tried it but I think you could put a piece of bike innertube on a T1 to cover most of the metal.I still like the incandescent G2 idea the best for cost effectiveness.:D

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
DON'T FORGET THE ADDITIONAL 10% OFF COUPON CODE:

GMTN08

$28.54 shipped = AWESOME :thumbsup:

You really can't go wrong with this.
Cool, thanks for the heads up! I just ordered two, I had to pay tax, but even so, they were under $28 each shipped.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was tempted to pick up 2 of those to save on shipping, but needed to refrain :)
Aww, come on, you know you want to :D Heck, it looks like they are being discontinued, you could probably turn around and sell them for a nice profit in the near future.