Recommend me a watch with LED light and compass

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi guys,
I have done quite a lot of searches and came up with some watches such as ibeam, swiss watch, timex, REQ (dakota and firefly) that has flashlight built into them. However I would like compass functions as well, preferably analogue. Anyone of you knows whether there is such a watch/light/compass around? I want it as a watch, not those caribiner watch/light/compass types. :thinking:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Casio MDV-102 has the brightest electro-lume I have ever seen. I dont think the battery would last very long if used as a flashlight though, and it only stays on for a couple seconds. So its definitely not designed to be used as a flashlight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsC8X15-12s

From there you could get a strap with a compass or add one separately.

I dont think those watch compasses are very accurate though.
IMHO you'd be better off with two dedicated pieces of gear + watch.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
hi kramer,
thanks for your reply. but i dont want to get a separate piece of compass to attach to the watch strap.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
hi kramer,
thanks for your reply. but i dont want to get a separate piece of compass to attach to the watch strap.

Oh ok then:thumbsup:

If I needed a watch/compass i'd get a Casio pathfinder or one of the Suunto millitary issue watches. Both are used by GIs in service so they have some history of reliability.

have you considered a headlamp?... if its hands free illumination you are after.

Sometimes I clip my Romisen RC-C3 onto the strap of my invicta Quinotaur. Its a 52mm bezel, 24mm strap and each lug has two spring pins (4 total) so it lends itself well to stuff being clipped onto it.

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
I don't remember where i saw it, but ill tell you about it incase you want to search for it.

It was a light that was (according to the site) designed for special forces. It has a built in back light, and then brighter LEDs for like map reading. Because the LEDs take a lot of power compared to a watch battery, they made it a rechargeable watch that you put on a charging stand when the batteries start to wear down.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
I don't remember where i saw it, but ill tell you about it incase you want to search for it.

It was a light that was (according to the site) designed for special forces. It has a built in back light, and then brighter LEDs for like map reading. Because the LEDs take a lot of power compared to a watch battery, they made it a rechargeable watch that you put on a charging stand when the batteries start to wear down.

its one of those REQ, dakota or firefly watches.. those with 3 LEDs right? But they dont have built in compass.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Oh ok then:thumbsup:

If I needed a watch/compass i'd get a Casio pathfinder or one of the Suunto millitary issue watches. Both are used by GIs in service so they have some history of reliability.

have you considered a headlamp?... if its hands free illumination you are after.

Sometimes I clip my Romisen RC-C3 onto the strap of my invicta Quinotaur. Its a 52mm bezel, 24mm strap and each lug has two spring pins (4 total) so it lends itself well to stuff being clipped onto it.

its not really much of handsfree illum or anything else.. i would say more of a dream watch! :grin2:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

curlyfry562

Enlightened
i heard these things weight like bricks! :p i like them too, but i still want one with built in compass and flashlight. Hopefully there is one such watch around :thinking:

You are correct the SS one is very heavy if you use the Metal band, but I use the Nylon one and it is comfortable to wear.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Is there a reason why you want an analogue compass on a watch? Most of the ones I am aware of are digital, and work really well.

This has been my watch for 8 years now. I had it replaced via Suunto's customer service (they overhauled the entire unit) for 100 dollars last year. No complaints there.

Everything works great, only problem I have with the watch is that the alarm feature isn't loud enough to wake me up. Oh well.

Digital compass + declination, barometer, thermometer, altimeter... can't lose. Unless you get a Suunto with a GPS built-in.

Oh, my last sentiment. A watch is a tool, separate of a light. Sometimes things are better left alone.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say you're better off with a watch with built in compass and a seperate torch, than the other way around. Suunto ABC watches are fine, especially if you need an accurate altimeter. Otherwise (and this is my personal preference) Casio Protrek/Pathfinder ABC watches. I have a PRG-80 which is very well built and solar powered. The altimeter isn't as good as the Suunto's, but the compass is fine.

Left: PRG-40 Right: PRG-80

pt2-1.jpg

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Is there a reason why you want an analogue compass on a watch? Most of the ones I am aware of are digital, and work really well.

This has been my watch for 8 years now. I had it replaced via Suunto's customer service (they overhauled the entire unit) for 100 dollars last year. No complaints there.

Everything works great, only problem I have with the watch is that the alarm feature isn't loud enough to wake me up. Oh well.

Digital compass + declination, barometer, thermometer, altimeter... can't lose. Unless you get a Suunto with a GPS built-in.

Oh, my last sentiment. A watch is a tool, separate of a light. Sometimes things are better left alone.

im kind of traditional guy. i trust a needle pointing the direction than digital compass.
i was just thinking it would be great if there is such an item around. i dont think it is difficult to combine a timex analog and LED flashlight watch together. i just hope some watch manufacturer would pick up this idea. i will be most glad to wear the watch even if it looks cheap and brandless :p