New Fenix range thoughts..

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, enough time has passed i think for some people here to get PD LD series lights and I am curious about what you guys think about the changes. What do you like, what do you not like?

I personally think the new reflector in the PD30 is made by god... makes it look so much more brighter on general mode, and more useful. Nice throw. Love the new physical design, gives it character and anti-roll.

In my opinion, i like the new holsters, a little thin... but good design i think.

I have the PD20, PD30 and LD01, I am very impressed with all of them in terms of quality, design and brightness/runtime.

coppertrail

Enlightened
In the last few weeks, I purchased both the LD20 and the LD01. Both, IMO, are much better then their predecessors (L0D CE and L2D Q4).

LD01, it's the brightness and beam.

LD20 - I like the new reflector, the spot seems much more rounded and the light is whiter. I like the body of the LD20 much better than the L2D as well.

Overall, I think the changes in the new LD changes are significant. So much so that today I purchased an LD10 . . .

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the last few weeks, I purchased both the LD20 and the LD01. Both, IMO, are much better then their predecessors (L0D CE and L2D Q4).

LD01, it's the brightness and beam.

I agree, the beam is very nice indeed, very nice throw also. I dont think a tiny light should be all throw, and this one has throw but spreads out more than the larger lights which i think is very good. I am impressed so far.:popcorn:

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I like the longer runtime on low of the LD10, but like the tint and beam shape with no rings of my L1D Q4 better.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the last Fenix I bought were 4 E01 shortly be4 christmas, they are great lights and great gifts.

As modding my own light at taht time, I clearly saw what Fenix offered at the beginning, and thus have a few L1T and L2P (modded to act like T) and an early L2D. But that innovation stopped and I have not yet followed the newer Fenix line with much interest for the last 2 years, ...
... since a good number of us asked for a light like the P3D but running on an 18650 and, generally, a lower low
for me Fenix is dead, I am watching from time to time but no longer interested in a single model (except for the E01s)

Since ordering a Jetbeam, even most of my modding stopped, they are simply great

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first started buying lights the PD30 had JUST came out. There wasn't any talk of it and there were NO pictures of it.

I had to use the P3D beamshots as an idea on what it was like.

The only reason I didn't get the P3D was because I needed the anti-roll feature. I sort of liked the modes on the P3D more.

Never got a chance to see the difference in reflectors. Being as this is the only Fenix I own, I can't speak for the other models.

I am to my knowledge the only person to post pictures or beamshots of the PD30. I'm surprised people aren't more into it on here :thinking:

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened
When I first started buying lights the PD30 had JUST came out. There wasn't any talk of it and there were NO pictures of it.

I had to use the P3D beamshots as an idea on what it was like.

The only reason I didn't get the P3D was because I needed the anti-roll feature. I sort of liked the modes on the P3D more.

Never got a chance to see the difference in reflectors. Being as this is the only Fenix I own, I can't speak for the other models.

I am to my knowledge the only person to post pictures or beamshots of the PD30. I'm surprised people aren't more into it on here :thinking:
Me to i think its awesome i love my PD30 the only thing i would like to see in the future is better color rendition.my P3D rebel is just the perfect example of an excellent LED ability to give excellent color rendition if they could keep the lumens up maybe 300+ with the color rendition of the rebel that would be incredible but as for now im loving my PD30 and still love my P3D Rebel also have the LOD Rebel and love that to hoping they throw the r2 in the AAA lights.Once those puppys break into the 100 or more lumens terrriory its time to upgrade im going to skip the LD01 though.I will get the next version im sure it will hit 100 lumens.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I solved the P3D roll problem with a PEU tube which is awesome, really like the ergonomics, and anti-roll is even better than PD30, and I like the Olive finish of my P3D head/tail even mixed with the black tube, I just have not been too motivated to get a PD30. The new beam sounds very nice, and I think the new head design would look good, but it would be black... so if a good deal comes along I might jump, but the P3D is a great light for the money.

Very happy with my LD01-SS, I've already bought a backup, and may buy another... always nice to have an extra around for a gift.

I'm thinking about the LD10, although it does not seem all that different than the L1D, I want to try it since I like 1 cell lights, and I like AA. Just hard to pull the trigger with my existing collection.

deusexaethera

Banned
So the LD01 really is noticeably better than the L0D? Dammit, I ordered an L0D specifically to get an olive casing, which didn't work out because they sent me a black one anyway and said they didn't have olives anymore. So basically I got the old crappy version for absolutely no reason.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pros: A little better performance with smoother reflectors. More interesting shapes. More useful beam spot.

Cons: Black body only. Sharp edges. Cool white emitters only.

New aggressive blue epoxy, and lots of it, which makes it impossible to upgrade the light without destroying it. :thumbsdow

sappyg

Enlightened
the anti roll design of the LD's is worth the price of admission. i wish fenix would sell the knurled bodies they show on their web site.

paulr

Flashaholic
I hate the crenellated bezels on the new models. There is a guy in the modder forum offering to grind the crenellations off of the Surefire E2D for a small fee. Maybe I'll ask him if he can do that to the Fenixes.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
they simply make it less nice to pocket the small lights + can drag on clothing + an edge can push against the body...

as for anti-roll: with a lanyard mounted, the old - nicer- round models dont roll ;)

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
New aggressive blue epoxy, and lots of it, which makes it impossible to upgrade the light without destroying it. :thumbsdow

Double :thumbsdow:thumbsdow to that. They were already annoying enough to mod before. :sigh:

This has the tendency to make me not want to buy the light.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double :thumbsdow:thumbsdow to that. They were already annoying enough to mod before. :sigh:

This has the tendency to make me not want to buy the light.

I have never really been a modder, too much work and danger involved. I am not made of money, and if i screw something over, i just lost lots of money for nothing.

deusexaethera

Banned
I hate the crenellated bezels on the new models. There is a guy in the modder forum offering to grind the crenellations off of the Surefire E2D for a small fee. Maybe I'll ask him if he can do that to the Fenixes.
You know those are there so you can see the light on if you set it down headfirst, right?

deusexaethera

Banned
Honestly this isn't an issue for me. The L0D/LD01 isn't expensive enough for me to consider gutting it and replacing the LED -- but then again, I gutted and replaced the LED in a Husky-brand Home Depot flashlight (I wanted to practice on something I didn't care about), so maybe I shouldn't be talking.

In other news, I am now the proud owner of the only 50-cent Husky LED flashlight in the world with a Cree LED in it. :p

Last edited:

deusexaethera

Banned
Really ? My LD10 has a sort of pukey yellowy-greeny tinge. If you'd like to swap . . .
The difference between cool and warm is whether the light is on the green/blue or orange/red side of the spectrum. Yellowish-white is pretty much neutral, because that's the color of sunlight.