AA Mini Mag Repair / Fix??..

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Man I know this is going to sound pretty lame in comparison to all the higher tecky type stuff going on around here... but...

I've got a AA Mini Mag that my kids took apart... completely! ... anyway, they even managed to pull apart the "Do no Remove" section that holds the bulb and sandwiches together ... Now to me that looks as simple as all get out... but it still wouldn't work... so I replaced the bulb,..nope,...

So I picked up another on from Walmart yesterday just to see if I was missing any part or something,... I pulled it apart .... Now I've got TWO of them that don't work! :ohgeez:

I guess it's no bid deal as I'm planning on moding these out with something like this: http://www.zbattery.com/TerraLUX-MiniStar2-Extreme-5-Watt-LED-for-AA-Mini-Mag?sc=7&category=1236

Unless anybody has any other suggestions on how to mod them out?? (Sorry,... pretty new to all of this :eek: )

But either way I'd like to have one of them back to stock working condition so I can track my mod process and compare them to the stock version ...

So any info on this would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance,
Rick

(I did search for this subject before I post this thread as well... :) )

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Man I know this is going to sound pretty lame in comparison to all the higher tecky type stuff going on around here... but...

I've got a AA Mini Mag that my kids took apart... completely! ... anyway, they even managed to pull apart the "Do no Remove" section that holds the bulb and sandwiches together ... Now to me that looks as simple as all get out... but it still wouldn't work... so I replaced the bulb,..nope,...

So I picked up another on from Walmart yesterday just to see if I was missing any part or something,... I pulled it apart .... Now I've got TWO of them that don't work! :ohgeez:

I guess it's no bid deal as I'm planning on moding these out with something like this: http://www.zbattery.com/TerraLUX-MiniStar2-Extreme-5-Watt-LED-for-AA-Mini-Mag?sc=7&category=1236

Unless anybody has any other suggestions on how to mod them out?? (Sorry,... pretty new to all of this :eek: )

But either way I'd like to have one of them back to stock working condition so I can track my mod process and compare them to the stock version ...

So any info on this would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance,
Rick

(I did search for this subject before I post this thread as well... :) )

How many pieces do you have and what do they look like? I just took my mini mag apart a few weeks ago and I had no knowledge what so ever on how to put it back but through trial and error I managed to put it back together. Also a picture of the pieces you have will be easier to explain what goes where.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
I can take pics a little bit later,.. but I've got to run out right now..

But there are basically only two pieces that fit together,.. the the bulb inserts into them,..

Thanks,
Rick

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Disc/"Pill" part into the body, the "do not remove" part from the outside.
have the sticks fit into the holes of the pill, insert stick into body to be able to push, push outside part in --> done

the inside part houses copper parts that make contact to the bulb.
If You lost one, the light can not work.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I can take pics a little bit later,.. but I've got to run out right now..

But there are basically only two pieces that fit together,.. the the bulb inserts into them,..

Thanks,
Rick
I'm guessing you lost the small metal contacts that go inside the plastic pill? You'll need to have 2 of those.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Ok... I finally figured it out...

There was a piece missing,.. and somehow when I took the new one apart, I somehow didn't see it fall out on to my bench,...

So here's some pics for future reference in case someone else runs into this problem...

"Do not Remove" :p

IMG_1203.jpg

Both Halves - Inside area of each one (Where they go together at..)

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

The Bottom of the Assembly that Faces the "Button" side of the AA battery

IMG_1207.jpg

The missing piece

IMG_1208.jpg

The missing piece installed

IMG_1209.jpg

The finished Product (For now anyway :) )

IMG_1210.jpg

Thanks
Rick

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Ok... I finally figured it out...

There was a piece missing,.. and somehow when I took the new one apart, I somehow didn't see it fall out on to my bench,...

That was what I was trying to see, if you still had that tiny metal piece. I almost lost it twice trying to figure out how together my mini mag. Good job figuring it out on your own.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Buickid --

Easy . . . .

Simply hand it to any child !

:nana:
_

greenLED

Flashaholic
If you don't mind, how did you take it apart in the first place?

...my kids took apart... completely! ... anyway, they even managed to pull apart the "Do no Remove" section that holds the bulb and sandwiches together
:nana:

buickid, insert a thin-tipped screwdriver under the "do not remove" tab, and work yourself around prying it upwards.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Yeah,.. Just remove the bulb,.. .then I just used my fingernail to pry up on it a bit and gain a bit of slack/gap,.. .then I worked another one of my nails around to the opposite side and pulled up a bit,..The two pieces come apart pretty easily ...no locking or snapping together. Keep in mind that the bottom piece is/stays on the inside and is removed out the tail section of the main housing where as the Top piece just pops off the top (The side that Says "Do not Remove" ) .. ;)

So, What's the best mods for these things anyway? (5W drop in @ 120Lumens..??...or is there something "Better"?)

:huh:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yes, a dowel would certainly work . . . .

Or, you could simply use 2 size AA batteries.

:whistle:

_

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Yeah,. . I just used a bic pen :) ... it just needs to be a bit longer than the main "tube" so you can hold some pressure against the bottom piece as you push the top piece on...

Also keep in mind that you have to hold the "Tube" in a vertical position,...if you don't that little metal contact that I lost will possibly fall out ... and possibly get bent/damaged ...

Rick

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to do a search on CPF for information on lubing the o-rings and flashlight maintenance. The photos you have in this thread show quite a few parts in close up but here's a link to Mag's web site with a list of ordering numbers and view of the rest of the parts and how they go together. Just for the next time the kids get hold of them. 2xAA MiniMag parts and view

Last edited:

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
DOh!!..

:ohgeez:

It's good to know that you can get all of those parts from Mag Lite ... I guess I should have checked the Manufacturers website first huh ? .. :(

greenLED

Flashaholic
werner, Mag doesn't sell individual parts. I just tried to get some spare parts for a C Mag and they told me I'd need to send the light in for repair (HAHAHA!!!).

Try Flashlight King instead.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Cool!.. looks like you can get almost anything you need as far as replacement parts go for the Mag Lites at Flashlight King!...

That's typical about having to send the light in for repair to the manufacturer :(