Li-Ion charger purchase help

fishx65

Enlightened
I've now read through most of the threads about these chargers. I just ordered a Solarforce L2 and I have a very old 6P which I will bore to hold an 18650. I'm totally new to Li-Ions. I've read all the positives and negatives about the WF-139 which I'm planning on ordering from DX. My question: Are any of the other chargers in this price range any better then the WF-139?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only other charger in the WF-139 price range I am aware of, and one that is actually a good charger, is the Yoho-122.

It is listed as the Dual Pocket Charger at Battery Station.

Unlike the WF-139, the Yoho-122 uses a proper CC/CV charging algorithm for Li-Ion cells.

The only "problem" with the Yoho-122 is that it can only be used on cells of 1000 mAh capacity or higher.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wf-139 is a great way to go in my opinion. I have had a couple of other chargers, but I don't recommend them. I have even used the 139 charger with jumper wires to charge AW C cells, protected and unprotected cells of all size, Lion Limn etc. It may not serve your every need, but its a good start. Good luck.

fishx65

Enlightened
Been reading some good things about the Soshine 4 bay. Sounds like it does a good job of shutting down after reaching full charge. I'm not to crazy about babysitting a charger so maybe this one might be a little better for me. Might order the charger and a few of the Soshine 3.7 RCR 123's from DX. Good idea?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charging Li-Ion is not like charging NiCd or NiMh.

Babysitting the charger or at least being nearby to monitor it is a must. Charging Li-Ion cells is when a mishap is most likely to occur.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Been reading some good things about the Soshine 4 bay. Sounds like it does a good job of shutting down after reaching full charge. I'm not to crazy about babysitting a charger so maybe this one might be a little better for me. Might order the charger and a few of the Soshine 3.7 RCR 123's from DX. Good idea?

I tested the soshine and give it a D- grade. The only thing keeping it from being a flat out F is that it does actually charge cells.

The charging method isn't anything close to what a li-ion cell manufacture suggests for proper charging. I would almost call the thing dangerous. I'd take a WF-139 over the SoShine, and I don't have much of anything nice to say about the WF-139 either.

here's my review of a number of chargers:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229923

I need to add more to the list eventually, but it's a start.

-Eric

fishx65

Enlightened
Thanks guys! I'm gonna keep watching the YoHo thread to see what's up with that charger.