Work of a genius, or ramblings of an idiot

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I've been conceptualizing a 2 x 2 configuration flashlight based upon the E2e as a model.

I finally sat down and sketched the thing out and scanned the picture. I don't have CAD on my home PC. It would have been a lot easier. Anyway, this is just a concept. I'm not sure what realistic performance data would be or even how it would manufactured. It looks like there would be complicated CNC work. I'm more interested in demand / usability of such a light.

fbdc71d3.jpg

This shows the exterior of the light from the side and top.

fbdc7213.jpg

This shows the inside of the light, as well as a front end view.

I would think that it could produce 100-150 lumen for an hour or so. The LED could go for much longer (I'm thinking Arc AAA type output) I left a little room for circuitry and or switching. I'm not 100% sold on digital regulation, but it seem to be the way to go.

Darell

Flashaholic
Nice sketch!

Tough to tell how it would "hold" withouth... well... holding it. Great concept, certainly. And it would have killer runtime. Lots harder to machine than a cylinder, for sure. Whatever you do, please, PLEASE quickly sell yourself on regulation!

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you've already seen or are aware of them, but the UK Mini-Q40 uses the same type of form factor as what you've drawn.

Obviously, it is different in that it is incandescent only, is made of plastic, and uses AA batteries, but if you were looking for something you could use for prototyping (ie, mess with), then it might be handy.
I think having the 5mm (I assume) LED under the main lamp is a great idea.

One thing though - if you are aiming for a 4 x CR123 light, you could probably get a lot more than 100 or so lumens out of it - the Surefire M4 uses 4 x CR123, and does 250 lumens for 1 hour with its LOLA.

Graham

Tomas

Banned
My first thought was "Pilot's Light" when I saw it. Strong white preflight beam, red cockpit LED.

Sure would be a, uh, "problem" to machine compared to a simple cylinder, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I was also inspired by the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA. A great light IMO. I like the oval shape.

I would think that overheating would be a problem if it were any more than 150 lumens.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i really like it!

when will you have some ready? my votes for black ha3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
kb0rrg,

Very nice idea. I think double-barrel is a neat way to go. Energizer does this to some extent, but their models are hard to find.

Your light would be thin enough to pocket, yet large enough to have enough bezel mass to handle the higher heat. This form would be ideal for a 10 watt, 125 lumen, 75 minute incandescent light. I believe that both demand and useability would be quite high. I further believe that putting in a regulator (a la A2) would increase both).

And the little second lamp is a good feature, too.

My vote is "work of a genius." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hmmmm

how do you open the thing to replace batteries? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sorry darell, please forgive me for being sane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
of course not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what about ev technology then? could this flashlight use that?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, how would one go about fabricating something like this? You certainly can't turn it on a lathe as others have already mentioned. I suppose it could be CNC'ed from a much larger chunk, but I suspect that would not be the best way to do it either.

You could cast it, but I suspect that ordering the tube section as an extruded part would be the way to go and then machining the ends. But then again you'd have to get it into a lathe to machine the threads and such, can you even turn something that non-cylindrical? Or would your lathe walk across the floor like my washingmachine after I've overloaded it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are there companies that do short runs of custom extrusions? Or would you have to do half a million dollars worth of it?

How on earth would you put the knurling all over the surface like that? I'm sure it could be made in a factory, but I'm wondering how I would do it in my garage...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
liquidmetal!

this would be the perfect thing for liquidmetal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i dont' know a whole lot about th stuff, but it's perfect for casting, and has amazing properties.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I figure if complex parts like those in hand guns can be made, than so could this. Aluminum is so much easier to machine than steel too.

I don't know how one would assemble it such a way that batteries and lamps could be changed. I'm sure there is a way, but that is more details than I am interested in.