Size15's quick review of his UltraStinger...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Size15\'s quick review of his UltraStinger...

The StreamLight UltraStinger when not de-focused produces a very bright, intense thin beam of white light. I like it. It's like the SureFire N2 beam but longer throw and free (rechargeable)

The sad this is that the UltraStinger body is at least 100 mm too long and has a switch I have never found the first time I've picked it up. These two things **** me off.

What do I think this says about me?
That I like short, compact flashlights with quick to locate switches (such as SureFires)

My problem is that the UltraStinger's beam is getting on for the shape I'm often looking for in terms of size and throw.

So the next chance at a possible solution will be a TigerLight (non-spray). I've been in contact with TigerLight about a UK powersupply but I'm likely to end up buying it from Dan at the TacticalWarehouse.

Buying the UltraStinger was a impulse thing. I got it direct from Traser UK (they threw in a few Glowrings too which is nice)

Fear not, Tim "The Prince" Flanagan is still my SureFire pusher and long may he be so.

These rechargeables (UltraStinger and TigerLight)are cheap toys for me. The UltraStinger is totally useless as a flashlight to carry about unless I have my rucksack. Even the 10X can fit in several of my jacket pockets without fuss.

Anyone want to join me to demand an UltraStinger "double-barrel"?

Al

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Size15\'s quick review of his UltraStinger...

I'm glad all the hype paid off and we convinced you to get one!
grin.gif

It is too long for carry, it's a great "free" light as you said. I keep mine on charge all the time, waiting for the power to go out, etc.

What does this mean?
"My problem is that the UltraStinger's beam is getting on for the shape I'm often looking for in terms of size and throw."

What type of reflector does yours have?

Your other Surefires are sure to shun you now!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

bmsmith

Enlightened

$80(US) flashlight is a "cheap toy".

LOL! Tell that to my friends that think I was crazy for buying such an expensive flashlight!

- Brian

Ratso

Enlightened

So it wasn't THAT bad was it?
smile.gif

Maybe you can find a place for it in your car as it is what it is designed for. The best thing I like about it over the Sure Fire rechargeables is that with the Smart Charger you can leave it there in your car as long as you want and it will do a "trickle" charge. I actually like a side mounted switch for any light that is over 8 inches long (which could be a good size if it were "double barrel"). Maybe Surefire or Streamlight could design a double barrel with A sized Ni-Mh cells or triple barrel with AA (like the M6?); you can 7.2 volts and 1.8 Amp Hours with 2 x 3 AA Ni-Mh. The current Ultra Stinger pack is 6 volts 1.8 Amp Hours. More power, equal capacity, and the size of 2 C cells.

I suggested something like this to Mr. Goncz.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

The length is not an issue for me, and neither is the switch, which I am used to from the Stinger, so I'm glad to hear another good review---got one on the way, and am kind of excited about having a new toy:D

btw, ordered mine from www.tannersstorefront.com for $65.31+shipping(light only, already have AC/DC chargers)

Size15's

Flashaholic

My UltraStinger reflector is mirrored towards the outer edge, and 'textured' close to the bulb. Serial # 063358.

To quote myself
rolleyes.gif

"My problem is that the UltraStinger's beam is getting on for the shape I'm often looking for in terms of size and throw."

What I means is that although I like the beam and it's almost what I need from a flashlight, it's a damn shame that the UltraStinger is totally useless for my needs as a flashlight because of it's excessive length.

In this respect, I am utterly disappointed by the UltraStinger. I bought it because it was cheap and I wanted to compare it to the TigerLight.
The UltraStinger is hyped, and like back at the SHOT Show 2002, it fails to be the flashlight I need.

I need a rechargeable flashlight of M3T to 9AN+KT3 size (a little thicker body is okay as long as it's using light-weight LiIon) with a beam like the UltraStinger or 9NT. Of course, I need sensible switch location and HA as well as shock production, better grip and a choice of Lamps. For a small flashlight, Pyrex or similar lens and a reasonable waterproofness.

I think the TigerLight could be more towards my requirements.

Even so, the UltraStinger will sit on it's charger. It has to because the shelf I keep a few SureFires on is not high enough for the UltraStinger to fit. Also, it's unstable and I'm always knocking it over.

BTW, someone please explain how the LED on the charger tells me when it's charged because the LED stays on all the time the UltraStinger is in the charger... I miss the green to go that the 10X charger has.

I'm also expecting more intensity from a beam with a throw of the UltraStinger. The light feels stretched. The MN20 in my M6 that I used on the way home tonight was a good intensity for it's range.

I do not regret getting an UltraStinger. It's a shame it isn't want I need. SureFires such as the M3T and M6 are still far better in my opinion. I am happy to pay for SF123As when I get output like from the M3T (N2 or usually MN16) and M6 (MN20 or MN21).

I have a Surge, an LX, an UltraStinger, a UKE 2L and a couple of StealthLites but I have 36* SureFires.

This isn't the start of a flashlight collection!
grin.gif

Al
grin.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Size15s:
...it's a damn shame that the UltraStinger is totally useless for my needs as a flashlight because of it's excessive length.

In this respect, I am utterly disappointed by the UltraStinger. I bought it because it was cheap and I wanted to compare it to the TigerLight.
The UltraStinger is hyped, and like back at the SHOT Show 2002, it fails to be the flashlight I need.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why are you disappointed? You didn't know how long it was before ordering? That's not the light's fault you know
tongue.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened

I use an old multi tool holster to carry my
Ultrastinger. I just cut off the flap, and
bottom of the holder, and melted the edges
with a soldering iron, and bam! a flop free
sheath for a US! This is just another example
of what genius at work can accomplish!
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon15.gif
tongue.gif
Ok, it
wasn't my idea, user Aragorn did it first,
but it really is the best way to carry your US.
grin.gif
It rides high enough, that you can whear
a long jacket over the light, and cover it, and
you don't get that annoying incessant banging
into your leg that you get with those "ring" type
holders. It makes the US *almost* EDC-able.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I paid £123 for mine, and yes I do consider it a cheap toy. Remember I've got a Greenie Laser toy that was £100.

My UltraStinger came with a UK AC powersupply and DC supply and two chargers, but only one battery and not ability to have one charging on its own.

The AC supply was an important consideration. So was convience of Traser's rapid shipping.

Buying from the US is difficult and would have cost about the same for the same kit but with the USA AC supply.

Now you guys understand why I don't 'get' the concept of the SL35X, 6D Mag or Goncz length flashlight. I am not only used to SureFires, but also not used to carrying a normal sized flashlight such as a MagLight (2D or 3C etc). As a culture, the Brits are certainly not a flashlight understanding people. Perhaps it doesn't get dark enough for the majority of people because of all the streetlamps.

A TailCap switch for the UltraStinger is a silly idea. I think the length of the UltraStinger as is, is silly too.

A long flashlight needs SureFire's Beast type switching. At least that's one of the features I liked about the Beast; the simple, easy to locate and operate switch 'ring'.

Another annoying thing about the UltraStinger is there's nowhere to attach a Lanyard.

Al

bwcaw

Enlightened

...A long flashlight needs SureFire's Beast type switching. At least that's one of the features I liked about the Beast; the simple, easy to locate and operate switch 'ring'...

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, only one of the things you liked about the
beast...
rolleyes.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

I am disappointed because now I want a flashlight that has the UltraStinger's beam shape/throw but from a body I can use and carry.

I fully understood what I was buying. I knew I wasn't going to like it or even be able to use it for much regardless of whether I liked it or not.

The point is that I have one and can compare it to SureFires.

Soon I will have a TigerLight also.

I hope to buy a Digital Camera in early December.

Al

Ratso

Enlightened

I fully understood what I was buying. I knew I wasn't going to like it or even be able to use it for much regardless of whether I liked it or not.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, I wish I could buy "cheap toys" so freely!
smile.gif

JoeyL

Enlightened

I agree with Al about the length. Have you ever held one of those 7.2 volt rechargable battery packs for race cars? Those feel perfect in the hand and would be a good pack for a flashlight. I think those are the same size sub-c cells that the Ultrastinger uses. That would be a great mod, but that's beyond my shop skills.

I still like the Ultrastinger around the house.
It's good for all the night time duties outside.
If size is no matter, it's one of my favorites.
But I still hold my M3turbo in greater reverence.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is nothing. I bought a Ford Ranger pickup that I new I wasn't going to like or be able to use either.
wink.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

bwcaw!

The length and size of the Beast at the SHOT Show 2002 was HUGE in SureFire terms. Long body flashlights don't handle well with TailCap switches. The M4 gets away with it.

Ratso,

I look forward to spending some real money on real toys when I'm earning more. I have HomeCinema dreams to satisfy!
Seriously though, for what you get, the UltraStinger is very good value.

Regards,

Al
smile.gif

bmsmith

Enlightened

Size15s, does runtime matter to you?

I think your ideal flashlight is not currently possible with today's technology, unless a reshape is good enough (double barrel idea you had). Unless runtime is not a concern. It just takes space to pack in the Watts.

- Brian

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Soon I will have a TigerLight also.
Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It will be interesting to get your opinion. Kogatana has posted that he has been evaluating one as well. I believe one of his statements was that for those used to a Surefire quality type of beam may be disappointed.

Myself I'm saving my pennies for a 10X. However meanwhile, I'm having fun with cheap spotlights that blow away anything I've ever owned.

Size15's

Flashaholic

geepondy,

I am tempted by some of these larger spotlights too.

Beam quality should hopefully be less important if intense light is put down range.
The UltraStinger's beam (and especially the surround) sucks compare to SureFires but at range against the N2 or 9NT, the beam flaws are not an issue. A dark hole in the middle of the beam would be though.

bmsmith (Brian),

Runtime of 30 min - 60 minutes is enough for most of my applications. Remember I use SureFires HOLAs a lot!
smile.gif

Al
grin.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm all for a Double barrelled 6 cell sub C flashlight.

It would probably make even more sense to build a body that would accept a R/C 7.2V pack and quick disconnect plug to the lamp/switch assembly. Then many people could use fine battery packs and chargers that are already priced toward consumer markets. Sell the flashlight with and without charger and battery(ies).

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am disappointed because now I want a flashlight that has the UltraStinger's beam shape/throw but from a body I can use and carry.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah, now I get it. I have a feeling I'll be wishing I could carry it at work when I need the throw sometimes, but it won't be practical for that, either. Already have that dilemna with the Stinger..just too obtrusive on the belt
frown.gif