Surefire KL1 module: Flashlightreviews.com

pahl

Enlightened
Nice review. I really like the KL1-HA-WH I use. Your beam shots of the green vs. the white are great. It does look as if the green is much brighter.

justjim

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam,

Thanks for your KL1 review, it was very informative. One topic that I still don't understand; however, is the lumens per meter squared rating. This is the amount of light over a 1 x 1 meter area taken from a distance of 1 meter. Your review rates the KL1 at ~400 lumens for the white led. Surefire's website rates the same KL1 at only 17 lumens. Are we talking about the same type of measurement? Thanks again.

-jim

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very different measurements. Lux and Lumens cannot be directly compared.

From my Lux Charts page:

[ QUOTE ]
Lux is the Lumens per Meter Squared falling on a surface. It is a measure of light intensity at the brightest point of the beam, weighted toward the natural perceptions of the human eye.

LUX is NOT a measure of brightness of a light!!!!! It is a measure of the brightest point in the beam, and therfore "throw" of the beam, or it's ability to light a target at a distance. The higher the Lux, the farther the light is projected. The projected light may be in a narrow beam with little or no sidespill, so do NOT use Lux as the only determining factor for buying a light. A light with a lower Lux reading may actually produce more light overall than a light with a higher lux reading - it just spreads the light out more.

[/ QUOTE ]