Petzl Tikka Plus vs. PT Aurora?

r2

Enlightened
Can anyone compare these two headlamps? Brightness and battery life are important, but so is overall build quality, switch quality, waterproofing, comfort, etc. I'm probably going to get one or the other, but not both. They seem very similar in a lot of ways. Does anyone have both that can offer a comparison?

- Russ

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard of problems with the Aurora switch coming off/breaking.

I own an Aurora and have played with the Tikka plus, and like the Tikka better.

The Tikka+ has 4 LEDs but Im not sure if its brighter.
The tikka does not have a water proof gasket though that may not matter in the real world.
I say play with both and decide.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rubber cover of the switch came off my Aurora, and the little tiny piece of plastic came off. I found both and was able to put it back in so that it works just fine. The switch is now held in with some duct tape.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I just went through this myself and ended up with the Black Diamond Moonlight.

This is going to sound like an advertismesnt ripped off some webpage, it's my own words though.
The Moonlight's electronics are redesigned for 2003. Instead of playing the game Petzl did and adding another model they just give you more for the same price. The old Moonlight switched on and off. The new Moonlight switches on and has 3 brightness modes + blink. I recently used it on a scout camp and found it to be a fantastic light. The batteries go in a compartment on the back of the headlight (IE that rests at the back of your head) and then a thick cable carries power to the electronics and LEDs at the front of your head. To switch on you press a small button on the bottom of the headlamp. It is a reverse clickie--ie once you have it on pressing the switch half way causes it to turn off. This is how you change modes, by turning the light off and back on quickly. It sonuds odd but I actually really like it. From off the light always starts in 'on' and then you just quickly activate the switch half way for dim or dimmest. The nice thing about this is it's easy to switch back to the brightess setting, you just hold the button half way down for about 3 seconds and when you let go the light thinks it has been switched completely off and back on so it comes on at full brightness. The only bad thing I guess is that if you turn the light all the way off and then, for some reason, need it back on within 2-3 seconds it will come back on but at a dimmer setting. The LEDs are dimmed by using PWM so you get a fun ultra-fast strobe effect when they are dimmed. I don't know how battery life is but I got a week of playing with the light at home plus a week of using it several hours a night in and am still using the same set of batteries.

The light easily ajusts up and down which I found nice (Ajust down to the perfect angle to eat in the dark, up to walk on paths, etc.). Because the batteries are on the back of your head there is little weight on your forehead and the light itself doesn't bounce around a lot.

On the camp I had my Arc AAA, McLux, Energizer Folding LED light, $2 Radio Shack Flouressent light, Brinkmann Legend LX and my Surefire G2Z--the Moonlight was used for 99% of my lighting. Even if I needed a light in the middle of the night to check the zipper on my sleeping bag or something it was easier to grab the moonlight and switch it on than to pull my Arc out of my pocket and twist it on.

For $30 I feel the light is a steal. I was actually able to get mine for $20 on sale at the Black Diamond store. Black Diamond is a local, employee owned company thats in it for the love of sport--not for money, and it shows in their products which they stand behind 100%

PS--It's 4 LEDs and I forgot until after I posted, but currently (As of July 22 2003) my avitar pic is actually a pic of me wearing the moonlight.

PPS--Larger version of that pic
5.jpg

r2

Enlightened
The Black Diamond Moonlight is a bit heavier and not waterproof. The Tikka+ isn't waterproof, either, which seems like its only disadvantage. I've read several reports of the Aurora breaking (switch and battery holder) but it's the only one of the three that claims to be waterproof (which is important in England).

It sounds like the Moonlight is pretty similar overall to the Tikka+ in terms of features and utility. It has the overhead strap and the batteries go on back, but otherwise they are quite similar. Was there anything about the Tikka+ and Aurora that put you off?

- Russ

Saaby

Flashaholic
Check your lights again, the Tikka Plus and Aurora both store their batteries *in* the light. While this didn't neessarily put me off, I prefered the batteries in back. The other thing was there is suposedly a Black Diamond Moonlight Pro that is identical to the normal Moonlight only it takes 3 AAs instead of 3 AAAs. It looks like this model was released early by accident, sold for about a week, and then pulled. I did not find the Pro model at the Black Diamond factory store nor did I find it at REI. I did not have time to wait for an internet order to come in.

About the waterproofing on the Black Diamond, on the LED part there is a thick rubber gasket (Similar to EternaLights) so no watter is getting in there, where the electronics are. The battery compartment is a 2 part clamshell design. A piece of rubber press-fits onto the plastic shell the batteries go in. I suppose you couldn't go swimming with this headlight but it's more then adiquite for a light rain (If water does get in to the batteries will it really hurt anything?) and if you're concerned you could easily tuck the battery compartment under a hat, or if you're *really* concerned you could replace the battery compartment and cable with a longer cable which would allow you to store the batteries in your pocket. This would, of course, add to overall weight.

r2

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Check your lights again, the Tikka Plus and Aurora both store their batteries *in* the light.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was what I said--the moonlight is similar to the other two except for its overhead strap and detached battery compartment. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I do favor AA over AAA generally since they cost the same (AA are often less) and have tripple the capacity plus AA lithiums are available should the circumstances call for it. Wearing the batteries on one's head makes the AAAs a compelling choice, however.

The waterproofing issue for me is a general principle. Part of the reason I pay extra for high quality lights is the reliability. That's the main thing that attracts me to LED lights over incandescents. The backup for my headlamp is likely to be a handheld light, not another headlamp. It will work in an emergency, but I fully expect it to run without problems for the duration of my hike/trip. It's different from even a Surefire E2 (as an example) where I expect the light to be reliable, but I also expect the bulb to burn out once in a while so I'll carry a spare lamp. If I get a headlamp that I expect to fail occasionally in heavy rain or something like that, then it's a qualitative difference in value to me. All the lights I use outdoors (which is pretty much all of them) have to be able to survive a dunk and heavy, sustained rainfall. Otherwise I've just got to back it up with something else that can, and I might as well just start with the backup. To me, it doesn't really matter where I am. When I lived in Utah, I tended to hike and play near/in water to escape the heat (I lived in St. George) and then I moved to Boston and now England where the heat is less of a problem but the water is more present.

I appreciate the info on the moonlight. I think I'm still leaning toward the Aurora or the Tikka+. On my head the weight seems really important, and the moonlight is around 50% heavier. I'm afraid that the question may be settled in the end by availability, but it's nice to at least pretend that all the choices are equally accessible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Russ

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
The original Tikka will stand up to prolonged use in heavy rain (tried it on the bike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif ), but the batteries can get a bit damp.

Ordered a Zipka plus at the local outdoor shop, only have to wait two more weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading recently either here or on one of the flashlight review sites (sorry, I can't remember now) that someone did a light meter comparison between the Aurora and Tikka Plus and the Tikka Plus is indeed about 1/3 brighter when both are on high, so the LEDs are driven about the same and the extra LED in the TP adds up to more total light.

I would also assume that the added brightness of the TP would help compensate for lower voltage if you wanted to use NiMH batteries.

I was just about to get an Aurora, but now the TP looks like a better overall package to me. I can't comment on waterproofness or durability, but the REI website descripes the Tikka Plus as having "Water-resistant construction for full-on reliability in inclement weather." [edit: this may be a slightly ambitious claim, see my post below]

Probably either one would be a good bet and I noticed that REI-Outlet.com has Aurora cosmetic seconds on sale for $20, so if you are looking for the best value, that is probably it. The TP is $35 at REI.com.

Saaby

Flashaholic
OH! I thought you were saying that the Tikka Plus and the Moonlight were similar...ok...

(30 minutes later)

I just did a water-proof test. Not that this will change your decision Russ--but it will possibly help somebody that brings up this thread 6 months from now.

I showered with the headlight on. This included standing for several minutes under my 2.5 gallon per minute Speakman shower head (Do you have one? They're wonderful.) 2.5 Gallons per minute is a heavy rain is it not? Anyway after about 5 minutes of standing, getting tons and tons of water on the battery compartment and a little on the head the light still functioned properly. This is when I realized that the weak point of the light is on the underside of the head where the screws and button are. I held the light with the head up-side down in my hand, effectively submerging it. This will never happen when the light is on your head because rain hits the top and rolls off the sides, never reaching the bottom. Anyway, after holding it there for a bit I flipped it back over and it still worked fine. Next I did the same thing only I operated the button while the light was under water. Ah, Achilles heel exposed! There is a piece of rubber on the button that works well to keep water out...as long as you don't press the button. Pressing the button while the light was held under running water allowed water to get into the electronics. The light still turned on and off, but the internal short was enough to somehow make it impossible to choose what mode the light functioned in. As long as you left the light on it would stay in the same mode, but turning it off for more than 2 seconds and then turning it on proved to be a crap shoot. Sometimes I'd get full brightness, sometimes I'd get dimmed, and sometimes I'd get blink.

My conclusion? Waterproof on your head under heavy rainfall. Waterproof under water (Don't know if it floats--this is the next test)...but not waterproof if you try to turn it on or off while submerged.

paulr

Flashaholic
These lights sound nice but awfully expensive. The $20 or so that the Aurora sells for is about the max I'd pay for an LED headlamp that I'd rarely use. But the Aurora now doesn't sound all that well made, and the Petzls cost quite a bit more.

Why aren't there more cheap headlamps around? And why do they have all these waterproofing problems, when there's so many submersible handheld lights available?

I'm leaning towards just trying to rig a small handheld light as a headlamp, with a Nighteze-like headband or just a baseball cap clip.

r2

Enlightened
Ryan, now you are just going and making things difficult. Here I was with my mind made up, a nice moral stance to lean on, and you've gone and messed that up. *sigh* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess I should know by now that CPF rarely makes decisions easier--it just presents more possibilities.

- Russ

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a quick response here: i havent had any problems with my Aurora. used it quite a bit. dont notice any flickering. bright, simple, light. comfortable. love the dimmability.

a real bargain, and PT stands behind their stuff.

Bob

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
FWIW to everyone here:

I just bought a Zipka+ from County Comm. They're selling them for $32 to us CPF people for a limited time. Check out the dealers section for more info.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah, that's a good price, but way more than I'd want to spend for an unregulated 5mm light even with 4 leds. Come on, the thing is just a PT Attitude with a headstrap, and the Attitude is already overpriced at $15. I think I'll try a DIY sometime.

Saaby

Flashaholic
PS--Took light apart, dried electronics, working fine now.

PPS--It may have just been the stupid display, but at REI I found the butotn on the Aurora hard to press with no tactile feedback. Just mash some soft soft rubber and hope it worked.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Saaby,

I agree with you about the Moonlight. I've had one a couple years, and I love it. Nice ergonomics, with no spill onto your glasses like the Aurora or Tikka. I even modded one to use a 3AA BD Lunar battery compartment in place of the AAA one.

You're right about it being easy to turn up and down. The whole headpiece is shaped like a flap that you can grab easily and move up and down. The switch is in just the right place, with a nice solid clickie feel. The headpiece folds up, protecting the switch from turning on, and it then fits in your pocket slimmer than the Aurora or Tikka. And I love that beefy aluminum screw. It may be overkill, but it gives it a solid feel. The light also looks really cool when you're wearing it - like the mother ship from zeta reticuli coming in for a landing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif:

The one thing I always wanted it to do was dim. Now it looks like I'll get my wish. I went to EMS earlier, but they only have the older models. So I guess I'll have to try the web. I can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I examined a Tikka Plus really closely yesterday paying attention to the waterproofness. The sealing was less than expected based on REI's description of weatherproofness. There is no gasket between the two halves of the case, so that joint is likely to let some water, even rain water, inside the battery compartment. Also the latch that opens the battery compartment would also probably leak a little into the battery compartment, so there does not seem to be an easy way to add some water resistance yourself.

On FlashlightReviews.com, they state: "Water resistance is slightly better than in the original versions. They are advertised as H2OK, meaning they can get wet and should still work even if damp inside. Simply open, remove the batteries, and allow to dry if they get wet. Salt water inside the case requires that they be flushed with fresh water first before allowing to dry."

So I guess water gets into the battery compartment, but does not get into the electronics. I guess that is OK for short-term use in the rain, but requires added maintenance to prevent long-term corrosion inside. Definitely a step below the Aurora, which is sealed with a gasket and should be dunkable.

One other thing I noticed about the Tikka Plus is that unlike the Aurora, the switch is slightly recessed, which makes it less likely to come on accidentally while being transported.

Also, it was FlashlightReviews.com that published Lux readings at one meter for these lights at the High/Medium/Low settings.

Aurora 65/35/15
Tikka Plus 80/45/18 (23% brighter on high)
Opalac Newbeam 41

r2

Enlightened
If you think $30 is bad for one of these, try going overseas. I just checked a few sporting goods stores and found the Aurora and the original Tikka (not the new Tikka+) for £30 each (about $50). Haven't found the Moonlight yet but I have a few more stores to check.

This may be one more thing I order from the states to my parents' house and have them forward to me. At least they are lightweight.

- Russ