Want to buy Surefire rechargeable. BUT......

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've heard so many "horror stories" about them. I have a US and Tigerlite, and both are very superior lights but a little bulky for frequent carry. I also have a D3 + SRTH and a"Poor man's M4" (D3+A19+SRTH) and they are impressive but quickly lose power. I just ordered a Stinger HP from Brightguy.

Here's my question:

Is there any SF rechargeable that competes favorably, or is superior to the Streamlight HP in terms of:

Brightness
Runtime
Length
Bezel diameter
Weight
RELIABILITY!!
Convenience and dependability of charger
And any other factor anyone would carre to mention..

An objective opinion is important to me. We all have our favorite lights, manufacturers and dealers and sometimes it's tempting to recommend your favorite out of loyalty rather than objective evaluation of its excellence or lack of it.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Brightnorm

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 8 & 9 series would be great if/when SF works out the b90 battery problem.

As for the 10X, have you heard any complaints about anything but the pyrex lens? Oh, yes. There's the carry-ability thing due to the lack of holster for the wierd bezel shape.

The only other SF rechargeables are conversions, and that's sort of a non-marketed product.

Okay, you may be right that SF really needs to get in the rechargeable game. That darned b90 thing is really causing a problem for their PR.

My 8nx is a great light -- tough, light, small, bright. But those darned b90's.

In a short while (I hope) a Tigerlight will arive for me to compare it with. From the results of the HID comparo I imagine the 8's output isn't up there with TL, but I'd like to take some photos for comparison anyway. If so I'll post.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by binky:
I think the 8 & 9 series would be great if/when SF works out the b90 battery problem.

As for the 10X, have you heard any complaints about anything but the pyrex lens? Oh, yes. There's the carry-ability thing due to the lack of holster for the wierd bezel shape.

The only other SF rechargeables are conversions, and that's sort of a non-marketed product.

Okay, you may be right that SF really needs to get in the rechargeable game. That darned b90 thing is really causing a problem for their PR.

My 8nx is a great light -- tough, light, small, bright. But those darned b90's.

In a short while (I hope) a Tigerlight will arive for me to compare it with. From the results of the HID comparo I imagine the 8's output isn't up there with TL, but I'd like to take some photos for comparison anyway. If so I'll post.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Peter,

I find it inconceivable that a company like SF can have a long standing, totally unaccptable battery problem that is really hurting them financially and not have had a fix in a matter of weeks. As someone (was it McGizmo?) said, there are brilliant, genius level folks at Surefire and then there are the "others". Descriptive nouns/adjectives for this group are not appropriate for our civilized board.

Brightnorm

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

Since you have a TigerLight already, how about a new SureFire 10X with a Pyrex lens, 2-hour rapid "smart charger" and a car cord adapter? SureFire just announced a holster for the 10X too!

I know where you can get one for a great price through midnight on Friday!
smile.gif
Go to "Dealer's Corner" for more details.

Dan.

ygbsm

Enlightened
I have a 9AN that I like very much. I did replace the tailcap spring on it. It's reliable, holds a charge a long time and generally works very nicely -- this may be because I have only used a B92 in it. It's not as bright as the Tigerlights have been descibed and its not the lightest flashlight I own, but the two levels of intensity are nice, and I can't tell you how great it feels not to be expending those 123As, particularly in those situations when you have to use you light on someone else's mundane task because they didn't have the sense to have a decent flashlight.

I also have the conversion kit for the 6V lights which I use alot. I have a very early 8AX which I haven't used in a long time, but which worked fine when I got it. I think it may have had a B92 in it also.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My 9AN has worked flawlessly so far (knock on wood) and the 8NX and 8AX also has not failed me yet. I use the 9AN daily and I think that is the key for SF rechargeable lights. They do not retain their charge very long so as long as you use them at least every few days it should be fine.

I started my career using a Maglite Rechargeable and it's still the best flashlight I've used for work. Size was a key factor that made me switch to the SF 9AN. The Mag and SL type were too big to carry on my belt when driving and I would sometimes leave it in the car having to resort to my backup non-rechargeable.

SF's are expensive though. I've seen the Stingers and Polystingers being carried by other LEO's and they work good also, esp. now that they have a piggy back charger system for an extra battery.

So if having to carry the light all the time is important, the Stingers or 9AN would be good choices. For light output where bulk is not a problem, the Mag and SL (Full size) are battle proven.

Just my personal exp. having to use lights daily.

P.S. I have the 10X that Sean sold me but I just can't find a comfortable way to carry it while working. No leather holster for it yet
frown.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. Sounds like I need to avoid the B90's and go with the B92's. (I think)

Thanks again,
Brightnorm

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by brightnorm:
I also have a D3 + SRTH and a"Poor man's M4" (D3+A19+SRTH) and they are impressive but quickly lose power. I just ordered a Stinger HP from Brightguy.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would dearly love to hear a comparison of those lights. Very curious to hear how the HP stacks up.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
B92 battery sticks are not manufactured any longer. SF's rechargeables are still suffering from the battery dilemma, and I think that the longer SF waits to correct the problem, the more damage is being done.

--dan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by dano:
B92 battery sticks are not manufactured any longer. SF's rechargeables are still suffering from the battery dilemms, adn I think that the longer SF waits to correct the problem, the more damage is being done.

--dan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I find this totally incomprehensible. Perhaps SureFire is concentrating more on the military (which, I believe uses nonrechargeables almost exclusively) and simply hasn't prioritized its rechargeables, though that is still a pretty lame excuse if true.

Despite SF M6's and ygbsm's positive experiences, I think I'll stick with Streamlight and Tigerlight until (if) Surefire gets their rechargeable act together.

Brightnorm

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I retired my 9AN in 2 months (less than 3 hours of actual usage) due to its yellowish beam albeit some SF die hard swear by its white light. However, I am VERY satisfied with the 10X.

Due to the unique policy of Tigerlight, I am unable to get hold of one
frown.gif

Alan

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Alan:
frown.gif

Alan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This may be off topic but couldn't you ship a Tiger light to someone in the US and have them ship it to you Via USPS?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i play it safe and avoid surefire rechargables, they're overpriced anyway(is that an oxymoron when refering to sf?
grin.gif
).

streamlight and tigerlight cover my rechargable needs. JMO and YMMV.
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Alan:
I retired my 9AN in 2 months (less than 3 hours of actual usage) due to its yellowish beam albeit some SF die hard swear by its white light. However, I am VERY satisfied with the 10X.

frown.gif

Alan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There was a recall on the 9AN with yellow light. The tailcap was faulty, it was sucking up to 20% of the power. Call SF to get it replaced.

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm,
I have a SF8X and it has been a pretty good light for me. Fairly bright and dependable. Nice size too. I use it intermittently but I have never had a problem with my battery, seems to hold a charge ok but I've never really ran the battery down. It is not as bright as a Surge I bought today (thank you to whoever it was that mentiond Sports Chalet had them on sale for $20)
It is as bright as my SuperStinger (same wattage as the Stinger) but has a much better beam. The SS has a beam shape much like the Triad with a hotspot that throws like the UK SL4.
Owen posted that there is a new textured reflector availabe for the Stinger that brings the beam quality on par with the 8X.
I think I might get a Stinger with the new reflector to retire the 8X ($5 a lamp vice $20).
Regards,
Greg

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many hours do Stinger lamps last compared to 8X lamps?

How about 6P lamp life vs Scorpion lamp life?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by stingray:
[QB]How many hours do Stinger lamps last compared to 8X lamps?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know about the 8X, but my friend who I got my Stinger from carried it on duty for 4 1/2+ years. He worked evening shift, and used the light alot. He also thought that the battery needed to be discharged all the time, and was in the habit of leaving it on after he got home, to discharge the battery before putting it back on the charger. Told me he changed out the bulb twice during all that time.
I put a new bulb in it recently.
So I would have to say it lasts MANY hours
smile.gif

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
How many hours do Stinger lamps last compared to 8X lamps?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good question. I doubt there is a definitive answer unless you are looking for rated hrs.
The bulbs used in my 8X have been very reliable. I like the light. I never burned one out in my SuperStinger, didn't use it that much. It was more of a standby light. It now has a UltraStinger upgrade and is one of my most used lights. Used intermittently a 20hr. rated bulb seems to last for many months.
I do like the fact that you can carry an extra bulb in the Stinger and have a choice in regards to switch location.
Regards,
Greg

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by jtivat:
This may be off topic but couldn't you ship a Tiger light to someone in the US and have them ship it to you Via USPS?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I could have done that. However, if the supplier doesn't want business overseas, why bother?

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Surefire M6:
There was a recall on the 9AN with yellow light. The tailcap was faulty, it was sucking up to 20% of the power. Call SF to get it replaced.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I did email to SF last month and they promised to send me the new tailcap spring but ..... quick promise, slow action:)

Alan