Line Pelican with Aluminum Foil?

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Just thinking about EMPs and Solar Flares and all of that. I was wondering. If I lined my Pelican case with Aluminum foil, underneath the pick and pluck foam, would that be a barrier? I guess it could still seep in the sides but at least the top would be covered, and thus the direction the beam would have been coming from. Presumably.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I plan to unwrap the foil from my head to protect my batteries if need be...we gotta do what we gotta do.

:devil:

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
From you semi rambling post I am guessing you are looking to protect your lights from a CME &/or an EMP event?

For either of these events you have no worries as anything big enough to do any actual damage to a light is more that likely going to kill you.

An EMP or CME needs an antenna to pick up the pulse & convey it to the device, the longer the antenna the higher the charge getting to the device.

The antenna could be wire, railway tracks, power lines, fences, building materials etc.

A flashlight does not have a long enough antenna to do any critical damage to the light unless you are very very close to the source.

If it is a nuclear blast then you would either be burned to a crisp by the intense heat or by the blast wave.

For a CME large enough to do critical damage to your lights it would also be doing massive damage to earth's magnetosphere which would cause massive loss of life through various effects.

TL;DR - you don't have much to worry about.

ico

Enlightened
I read some thread ago that your microwave is the closest and easiest faraday cage you can have

fyrstormer

Banned
Leaving your flashlights in the microwave to prevent them from damage in case of a nuclear attack might cause other problems when your wife, your kids, or any other sane person on earth wants to use the microwave for heating food, though. :duh2:

The important thing to remember about electromagentic radiation is, according to physics it can't pass through an opening smaller than its wavelength without being severely weakened and "blurred" in the process. If your flashlight has a metal body, it's already as protected as any piece of electronics can be. If you're really worried, keep a couple in the basement where the wiring from your house can intercept and channel any significant EMP to the ground.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The most efficient protection might be to do what you can to help ensure world peace.

:D