Is the Surefire 10X still the TOP Performer for Law Enforcement Use?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I purchased the Surefire 10X and have been happy with it for the last year. Are there any new lights that have recently came out, that will give a law enforcement officer more stun power - OR is the 10X still the top performer?
Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"...is the 10X still the top performer?"
Certainly, the category in which the 10X is purportedly the 'top' performer needs to be clearly defined. It does not cover all bases (categories). When speaking about greatest total light output, yes the 10X does excel.

Is it more cost effective? - NO. Does it even have a belt carry option available? - NO. Someone will likely chime in with "...the maker is working on one." Well, one does not exist right now for immediae purchase. Can it be carried comfortably on a belt for 10 continuous hours? - NO. The large lamp assembly housing digs in the ribcage. I had a custom leather sheath made. I tried it and gave up after 30 minutes.

Can you just throw it around like the other products such as those made by Streamlight, Pelican, and Maglite? That is up to the owner. If little or NO thought is given to thrashing a $500 flashlight in the course of a typical 10+ hour shift that a uniformed, law enforcement officer works, then the answer is yes.

Is it as robust as the other products? Take a Louisville slugger to it like Tigerlight (the company) did in that short video clip on its website. Any owners out there willing to do this their privately-owned 10X to prove a point. I fully realize that hitting a flashlight with a baseball bat will likely not be part of the evaluation for choosing a duty light, but it does showcase an extreme.

A scenario likely to occur in a LE application is a duty light falling down a flight of stairs from a second story window.

Any 10X owners willing to step up to the plate to perform this test for the benefit of professionals in the public sector?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i beleive streamlight has the corner on the LEO market. it will be interesting to see how tigerlight does, i would think they are about to become very popular with LEO.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Streamlight does have the largest portion of the LE market because their "bread and butter" product, the Sl Series has been around longest.

Tigerlight is well rooted in Federal penal system and is making inroads in the local level.

The Tigerlight will still have limited appeal at the local and state level uniformed agencies. The one limitation I foresee is the greater girth of this product that restricts a more secure hold by those with smaller hands.

Having evaluated both versions of the Tigerlight, I can now wholy suggest a refinement on the product in the form of girth reduction for that growing segment of the LE population.

Tigerlight will also necessarily "butt heads" with the deeply ingrained training regimens cornered on indexing on the switch location common to both Streamlight and Maglite products.

I have little doubt that the Tigerlight will flourish. Like Streamlight, it will need to evolve to meet the needs of its core clientele. Streamlight has reacted to those needs with the Ultrastinger, and, particularly, the Stinger HP and XT HP models; the latter of which comprises my current recommendation for general duty application with occasional tactical uses.

In its current iteration, the Surefire 10X is just simply too awkward, fragile, and expensive for "rough and tumble" law enforcement use. It is a prima dona among flashlights and its raison d'être, at least in the context of current law enforcement applications, has not been clearly defined and its charter is, at best, esoteric.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by .:
In its current iteration, the Surefire 10X is just simply too awkward, fragile, and expensive for "rough and tumble" law enforcement use. It is a prima dona among flashlights and its raison d'être, at least in the context of current law enforcement applications, has not been clearly defined and its charter is, at best, esoteric.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well it is expensive but I have never heard of it being fragile. While I am not going to go throwing mine around to prove that it is tuff (nor would I do this to my TL Mag Charger or US) it does appear to me to be very well built. I have used mine for hunting and dropped it quit a few times with no problems where as my US has been back to SL twice with switch problems. I also realize it is very expensive but I bought mine for under $300 and I know that SF will back this product up if anything goes wrong with it. Just MHO.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"...I have never heard of it being fragile."
Consider it heard.
smile.gif

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by .:
The one limitation I foresee is the greater girth of this product that restricts a more secure hold by those with smaller hands.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree, although the US feels harder to grasp because the body feels too narrow - my hands feel more comfortable around a TL, and I would be classified as "smaller" but not tiny.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i too would like to see a smaller diameter tl. i *think* i would like to see the switch in the "usual" place, but i havent' had my tl long enough to decide. as of now, i wouldn't object.

tl watches the forum, maybe he will se this?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree on the Tigerlight recommendations -- smaller girth, and more standard switch for the OC-less version. For the OC version, the switch is in the most logical place.

Joe

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Since everyone is talking so good about the tigerlight I think its worth a try for a while. I am planning on buying one within the next few weeks - just because you all recommend it! Please forward me a link or let me know where the best place to purchase the tigerlight is. Thanks for all the input and help
tongue.gif