SureFire R1 Lawman pics and beamshots

EV_007

Enlightened
This is a quick review and personal impressions of the light. Moderators feel free to move to Review section if you'd like.

Ah yes, the light I've been waiting to be released has finally arrived in the mail today. The SureFire R1 Lawman.

Quick specs from SureFire R1 Lawman manual:

OUTPUT (li-ion) 750 lumens on high 1.75 hours
OUTPUT (123a) 500 lumens on high 1.25 hours
150 Lumens on medium 5.25 hrs (li-ion) 4.25 hrs (123a)
15 Lumens on low for 37 hours (li-ion) 22 hrs (123a)
Length 8.1 inches
Bezel diameter 1.62 inches
Weight with batteries 10.2 ounces
Batteries 1 Li-ion rechargeable battery or 2 123a primaries

It comes in a good size box to accommodate all the accessories this thing comes with.
r1_box.jpg

I like the fact that this light can take either rechargeable batteries which can be recharged without having to remove them from the flashlight and also the ability to run off of 123a primaries as well. I also like that I can set the light to come on at the low 15 lumens for general illumination and blast the 750 lumens in an instant when I need it.

It comes with a few useful accessories as well. The universal charging adapter that can accept various world power plugs (included) is awesome for those traveling. The cigarette lighter plug is nice which allows you to charge the light in your car when using the rechargeable battery. Designed for LEOs as the name implies, although at this price it may not be standard issue for most departments.

Of course it comes with a set of primaries in a battery holder when you want to swap them out to use rechargeable battery and its holder. A rubber anti-roll ring (shown on light) is included as well.
r1_kit.jpg

The light is not as long as I thought it would be. Still pocketable if need be, especially in a light jacket pocket.

r1_front.jpg

r1_back.jpg

r1_emitter_IMG_2138.jpg

r1_LED.jpg

I like the dual switching option. Having the top thumb switch feels well balanced for this size light. I like having the tailcap for instant high in any mode. Its not as stiff as I feared it would be.

And here are some beamshots taken of the Surefire R1 against some of my other brighter lights. I was really impressed with the overall output from the R1. Throws pretty good for being a non TIR.

I used the included two 123a batteries. 500 lumens is outputed when using 2x123a batteries. 750 lumens obtainable with freshly charged included Li-ion battery for a short burst reported around 2 minutes before dropping down to 500 lumens constant running output.

It had just rained, so the wet grass does not reflect as much light as if dry. Distance to shed 50 yards. Down the dirt driveway around 40 visible in this shot. Shot with tripod mounted Nikon D700 with 50mm F1.4 prime lens. Manual exposure set to 3 seconds at F5.6 with ISO 200.

_beamshots_barn.jpg

_beamshot_driveway.jpg

I was also impressed with the floody output from the Nailbender P60 drop in running two 123a primaries in the SF C2 host. The old incan standby, and my favorite warm light, the SF M3T running two 17670s slightly over-driving at over 225+ lumens. Talk about high CRI throw.

Second set of beamshots showing both 750 lumen output from the freshly charged Li-Ion compared to the output from 2x123a primaries used in the same SF R1. You can definitely see the difference the rechargeables make. This time ISO set to 100 as not to blow out the highlights too much.

4_beams_UPDATED.jpg

Here's a size comparison to the lights shown in the beamshots. Also the Minim@g 2AA shown on far right for reference.
R1_group.jpg

SureFire R1 Lawman shown with rubber anti-roll bezel removed along side two SF 123a batteries for size reference.
R1_batteries.jpg

And the SureFire R1 against some of my other lights you may recognize for size reference. 2AA MiniMag on far right.
Flashlight_collection_R1.jpg

Various programs to control output behavior of the R1.
PROGRAM 1
Tailcap Switch - High only Head Switch - High, Medium, Low, Off
PROGRAM 2 Tailcap switch - High and Strobe (Press 3x and hold) Head Switch - High, Medium, Low, Off
PROGRAM 3
Tailcap Switch - High only Head Switch - High only

To change from one program to the next, twist tailcap clockwise to constant-on, then press head switch until light goes off. (Approx 6 seconds.)

Fuel gauge:

Green = Full
Yellow = Battery charge low
Red = Empty

UPDATED
Added beamshots using freshly charged Li-Ion battery stick compared to primaries in the SF R1.

I'll add more pics and impressions as my experience continues with this latest awesome offering from SureFire.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
My biggest concern is water entry/corrosion in the charger connector.
Does anyone remember the G&P Scorpion R500? Look it up on flashlightreviews.com if your not sure, heres the link: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_scorpion_r500.htm Notice how the charging socket is sealed by an o-ring'd sleeve? Why couldn't Surefire have done that? Or are the contacts plated with something that won't corrode? hmm:shrug:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's weatherproof (water-resistant), and you can even feel the air pressure inside the jack when you insert the charge cable. Moving parts increase complexity, and it's not really necessary for covering the charge port.

Most cradle-charge lights have exposed connectors as well, and there don't seem to have been any issues with corrosion...

can you show some size comparisons? thank you
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll just put a link here...I've got a pic at the bottom of my review.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
EV 007, thank you for the photos and your impressions of the R1. I've had this light for a couple of days and I'm pleased with it. The R1 is well balanced and actually feels like an extension of my hand. As a matter of preference, mine is set to come on in the medium output mode. The "B10" replacement li-ion primary will be for sale at some point according to a SF rep. I've purchased a backup for the R1...another R1.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
Just updated with size comparison pics alongside the other lights in the beamshot and a minimag 2AA for size reference.

EV_007

Enlightened
UPDATED

Added more size comparison shot of other popular lights and updated output and runtime specs with beamshots reflecting as such.

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
kind of disappointed that they had to drop the output when running on cr123....
wonder if that same thing will happen to the UBR....im waiting for that one atm.

and wondering if it would it work if you put two rcr123 LiIons in that cr123 cradle? to keep that 750lumen max output.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
750 lumens is only maintained for about 2 minutes, so both rechargeable and primaries will be running at 500 lumens after that.

It has problems with LFP123A's already (Fuel Gauge is voltage sensitive), so I doubt it will work with RCR123A's.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
750 lumens is only maintained for about 2 minutes, so both rechargeable and primaries will be running at 500 lumens after that.

It has problems with LFP123A's already (Fuel Gauge is voltage sensitive), so I doubt it will work with RCR123A's.[/QUOTES
Should I not use the SureFire's LFP123A in the R1 Lawman? Thanks.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It won't damage anything, but the Fuel Gauge will not give correct indications and the tail switch won't work. I'm waiting on a response from SureFire's engineering before updating my review.

scaredofthedark

Enlightened

It has problems with LFP123A's already (Fuel Gauge is voltage sensitive), so I doubt it will work with RCR123A's.

both of that is a major disappointment....

but i guess i'm expecting too much from CR123s... and LiIons

Last edited:

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
It won't damage anything, but the Fuel Gauge will not give correct indications and the tail switch won't work. I'm waiting on a response from SureFire's engineering before updating my review.
Thank you for that assessment. I note that the SureFire User Manual for the R1/R2 Lawman and their 2012 catalogue is silent on the use of SureFire LEP123A batteries in this unit. However, the SureFire website description for the R1 Lawman does indicate the unit will accept "rechargeable 123A cells." I won't bother purchasing their LEP123A batteries for use in the R1 Lawman now that I know about the "problems" associated with their use, but I'm thinking LEP123As would be an option in a pinch. I will purchase SureFire's proprietary "B10" rechargeable lithium-ion battery stick when it becomes available.