SF P60, P61 wattage?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know where I can find the wattage for the SF lamp assemblies? In particular the P60 and P61, but I'd also be interested in others as well.

Thanks,

-john

Size15's

Flashaholic
Brock's site should help you out.

P60 5.3 Watts
P61 8.5 Watts (edited to remove original tpyo of 8.9 Watts, sorry)

Loads of really useful collected data on Brock's site!

Al
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.3 watts for P60 abd 65 lumens. 8.9 watts for P61 and 120 lumens? Are they ineffficient or what? You see, Surge is also around 5 watts. But it's already more than P60 output and slightly less than P61 output. That sucks.... This can't be.. there has to be something wrong somewhere.... how can surefire lamps be so inefficient? 12 lumens / watt for P60 and 13 lumens / watt for P61?

Size15's

Flashaholic
According to Brock's data, the Surge is 5.9 Watts.

My Surge isn't that much more then a P60 in terms of output. Not close to the P61.

We know that unlike the Scorpion, SureFire's P60 is driven less hard for a longer, more stable life. Perhaps this is very important to SureFire's real users who require reliability. The P60 is highly stable and suited to WeaponLight activities.

But then what do SureFire know about designing tactical illumination tools and their bulbs?

I guess that the Surge is about 80Lu so that gives it say 14 which is about the same as the P61.

By the way, does Lumens/Watt mean or count for anything?

Al

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al:

Lumens/Watt = bang for the buck, or output per watt/hour of battery system capacity all other things being equal. That means something to me.

Lumens/Watt usually is also inversely and geometrically proportional to bulb life as previously stated, and that also means something to me. Different people weight the importance of these factors differently for different applications.

Brock

Flashaholic
It is true, they all fall right about the same wattage per lumen, within about 2 lumens/watt on newer lamps.

As Al or A00079 noted, for the most part as the lumen per watt goes up on these lamps the life of the lamp goes down. In other words if you overdrive the lamps they put out more lumens/watt, but burn out sooner. The Surge does overdrive the lamps quite a bit with fresh batteries, but then actually falls well below the Surefire range as the alkalines can't keep up with the load.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... Overdriving 5 watt LS isn't a good idea though.... esp with 9 volts... Isn't it possible to drive it to 20 lumens / watt or do you need higher wattage lamps for those? I sure don't mind a 10 hour lamp life but has an efficiency of 20 Lumens/watt and above....