US-Made lights to fill out a collection

Pixel Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Oh, this is bad! After my initial post in this forum, I finally decided on getting a pair of TnC Ultra-Lux 18350's (his and hers.) By far blowing the budget I had set, and in the process, planting the seed of a light-collecting obsession! :ohgeez:I haven't even gotten those lights yet, and here I am posting for suggestions on MORE lights! Mind you, this is mostly to build a wish list... a very dangerous endeavor as far as my credit card is concerned.

I think the Ultra-Lux 18350 is a good starting point; small enough to EDC with bright and dim modes for various tasks. My only concern (since I haven't had it in my hands yet) is if it will be small enough to comfortably fit in my pocket without raising eyebrows from onlookers questioning my current state of arousal. Hence my quest to come up with a list of various lights to meet every need.

The primary requirement is that any recommendations have to be US-made.
  • Foreign brands such as Fenix or Nitecore will not be considered.
  • US companies with overseas manufacturing such as EagleTac or Foursevens will be considered only as a last resort.
  • US companies with US-assembly from overseas components such as SureFire or Streamlight may be considered, but...
  • US companies that make lights from primarily US components is my top preference. (Yes, I understand that sometimes it's impossible not to get some things overseas, such as the LEDs.) I will consider brands that are mass produced, boutique brands, or custom/modder lights.

The kinds of tasks I would use lights for:
  • Camping (walking through the park/woods at night)
  • Outdoor nighttime activities (corn mazes, fireworks, parties, etc.)
  • Checking the mailbox at night (early winter sunsets)
  • IT tasks (working under desks, dark closets, dimly lit areas, etc.)
  • Household tasks (finding things in the basement/attic/closets/cabinets, project work, etc.)
  • Power outages
  • Car (checking things at night, emergency repairs/tire flats, safety)
  • Showing off! :whistle:

I suppose I'm looking for everything between micro pocket jobbers to death rays that will peel the paint off the ISS!

Since this is building a wishlist, price does not matter. However, there's probably zero chance I'll ever be able to buy/justify that $500 light, let alone the $2000 sterling silver job that belongs in an art museum. In other words, the more reasonably priced the suggestions, the better.

If you provide a suggestion, please include the reason why you recommend it. Thank you.'

...I'm Doomed!

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire 6P Original with a Malkoff Devices M361
Surefire P2X Fury
Surefire 6PX Pro
Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring and M61

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting post. You have narrowed things down quite a bit. So, you may be doomed in more ways than you can imagine. :sssh:.

I don't have time to go into in-depth reasons so I will list a few with a quick blurb.

Look into these. Yes, I get the jist that you want cheap USA built lights. So.... Most of my suggestions will blow the budget, but you get what you pay for in this hobby.

Maglite: A very traditional light and fun to do some mods to if you don't get the OEM LED version

McGizmo: One of his lights is a must have in any collection. You choose what fits your style. For me, its the Aqua Ram, or Terra Ram

The Fraz: QTC, Rock solid hand held tank. Its my work horse beat around loan to the kids & neighbors light. Twist & it works. No modes or buttons and insane run time

Used Mac light: Its a must have

Malkoff: Some lovely lights, built like a tank with tons of options, full of quality

Overready: ?? Is that USA built stuff? I think so. But you need to check.

Elzetta, US made, sorta like Surefire, just smaller company, but superb quality. Love the ones I own.

Elektrolumens: Fun quality built lights with a reasonable price.

Dark Sucks: You need a Beta! I forgot that. Get the copper. Just trust me, your key chain will love it! I got my wife the SS version, she said she never needs another light. lol

When you get serious about collecting:

Jeff Hanko
Cool Fall: Spy 007 (This one is gonna break the bank) But, a fine example of custom work.

I know I missed some that you haven't already mentioned. If I think of them, I will come back and post.

Good luck

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting post. You have narrowed things down quite a bit. So, you may be doomed in more ways than you can imagine. :sssh:.

I don't have time to go into in-depth reasons so I will list a few with a quick blurb.

Look into these. Yes, I get the jist that you want cheap USA built lights. So.... Most of my suggestions will blow the budget, but you get what you pay for in this hobby.

Maglite: A very traditional light and fun to do some mods to if you don't get the OEM LED version

McGizmo: One of his lights is a must have in any collection. You choose what fits your style. For me, its the Aqua Ram, or Terra Ram

The Fraz: QTC, Rock solid hand held tank. Its my work horse beat around loan to the kids & neighbors light. Twist & it works. No modes or buttons and insane run time

Used Mac light: Its a must have

Malkoff: Some lovely lights, built like a tank with tons of options, full of quality

Overready: ?? Is that USA built stuff? I think so. But you need to check.

Elzetta, US made, sorta like Surefire, just smaller company, but superb quality. Love the ones I own.

Elektrolumens: Fun quality built lights with a reasonable price.

Dark Sucks: You need a Beta! I forgot that. Get the copper. Just trust me, your key chain will love it! I got my wife the SS version, she said she never needs another light. lol

When you get serious about collecting:

Jeff Hanko
Cool Fall: Spy 007 (This one is gonna break the bank) But, a fine example of custom work.

I know I missed some that you haven't already mentioned. If I think of them, I will come back and post.

Good luck

Wow!
That is some serious outlay for consideration. Oveready is totally upfront about the country of origin. Most is USA made. Their customer service has been right up there with the absolute best. (And I have tested it with them)

I would, in addition to Oveready, suggest MBI. Even though the product is from Japan, he is great about customer service and fun to keep an eye on.

gsr

Enlightened
First-Light USA is another American company making innovative, high quality lights here in the USA. They have a growing following with US military personnel.

Pixel Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Surefire 6P Original with a Malkoff Devices M361
Surefire P2X Fury
Surefire 6PX Pro
Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring and M61

But why do you recommend those models? I was seriously considering Surefire on my first go-around until my wife and I decided we really wanted to support fully US-made lights. Is there any kind of spec sheet available which might explain what content of each surefire model is made outside the US. I'm fine if the LED and maybe some other minor component was sourced. But I'd want all primary components, machining, assembly, etc. to be done here.

Great list ... add Peak and HDS ... ;)

Yeah, I came "this close" to buying a pair of Peak Logans. I may actually still get one. I got the TnC Ultra-Lux and its' a great little light. But not quite little enough to comfortably fit in my pocket without creating too much of a lump.

Wow!
That is some serious outlay for consideration. Oveready is totally upfront about the country of origin. Most is USA made. Their customer service has been right up there with the absolute best. (And I have tested it with them)

I would, in addition to Oveready, suggest MBI. Even though the product is from Japan, he is great about customer service and fun to keep an eye on.

Is Oveready a manufacturer or a retailer of other brands? I can't quite determine based on some comments/posts I've seen.

Pixel Hunter

Newly Enlightened
As I mentioned in the previous post, the TnC Ultra-Lux is a great little light. My wife's copper one is making me a little jealous! However, it's just a little too big to comfortably fit in my pocket. So now I want to consider a tiny pocket-able light. Of everything mentioned (or anything not mentioned), are there any favorites that meet that specific need?

I was originally considering a Peak Logan, but wonder if the Eiger or El Capitan might be better since they are smaller. That Dark Sucks/Prometheus Beta is really nice too.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
im not 100% sure about this, but surefires are made in the USA by "made in USA" standards. meaning it meets the requirements for a certain amount of manufacturing, assymbly, etc.
most of the current surefire LED models are using CREE Leds which is made in north carolina i believe.
machining is done in fountain valley, CA. anodizing is done in the USA. surefire batteries are made in USA by a panasonic factory.
components such as glass lens, O-rings, rubber switch covers, mechanical switches, electronic drivers, i cant say for certain.
anybody know if surefire electronics are engineered as well as made by surefire?

regarding malkoff lights, im almost certain a very high percentage of their product is made in the USA. i wouldnt be surprised if it was 100%.

if the TnC ultra is too bulky, then your options become very limited. obvious choices would be a slim AA light or a AAA light. the only lights i can think of are peak's eiger and el capitan lights. you can go into customs but those will set you back hundreds of dollars.

the dark sucks light might be made in china... his less expensive lights usually are.

oveready is a retailer of certain brands such as malkoff and peak, but oveready also has their exclusive custom made brand going by the name of moodoolar, made by moodoo of the in the USA. other custom made products by other makers are also offered, such as the cyros cooling bezel.
there are also modified surefire parts etc. so much great stuff.

with oveready, you can call, or email with any questions and you will get your answer.
oveready, i believe is owned and operated by a very helpful, and knowledgeable fellow CPF member by the name of electron guru.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....So now I want to consider a tiny pocket-able light. Of everything mentioned (or anything not mentioned), are there any favorites that meet that specific need?

I was originally considering a Peak Logan, but wonder if the Eiger or El Capitan might be better since they are smaller....

Not sure if the Eiger 10180 is still available, but it is quite tiny ....

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready call themselves a team. If you scroll down on individual items they sell, it very often will clearly show the country of origin, components and all. There is no substitute for stellar customer service, unless you are always lucky.

As far as getting something smaller; buying an MBI HF through Oveready filled my need, but I respect your desire to spend your money the way you want. I do not have experience on the other American craftsmen mentioned here.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
But why do you recommend those models? I was seriously considering Surefire on my first go-around until my wife and I decided we really wanted to support fully US-made lights. Is there any kind of spec sheet available which might explain what content of each surefire model is made outside the US. I'm fine if the LED and maybe some other minor component was sourced. But I'd want all primary components, machining, assembly, etc. to be done here.

All USA made, by USA owned companies, and all have (almost unconditional) lifetime warranties.

When you say you wanted to go with Surefire until you and your wife decided you wanted USA made lights - Surefire is as American as they come. What makes you think Surefire is not USA made?

Other than perhaps the LED and/or circuit board, the rest of the machining/finishing/assembly are all done in California.

Pixel Hunter

Newly Enlightened

Initially, I didn't want to upgrade my Mags to LED because I honestly wanted something smaller/better. The TnC fit that bill. But now I have a couple 3Ds, a mini or two, and a pair of Solitaires I don't know what to do with. I could toss them in the tag sale bins, and hope to get a couple bucks each. Or maybe I could upgrade them after all and have them as backups or for lending out. I see the Malkoff drop-in for the 3Ds, but are there any options to upgrade the Solitaires and minis? Or alternatives to Malkoff for the 3Ds?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking into this further, I see the "turn-key MD2 with high/low" on the Malkoff website. What did you mean by high/low ring and M61?

The MD2 is the name of the host, the M61 is the LED drop in, and the high/low ring makes the MD2 host high/low capable. The "turkey MD2 with high/low" on the website is exactly what I was referring to.

Pixel Hunter

Newly Enlightened
I've had some people tell me that even though they are US, they assemble parts that were made overseas. Surefire's website even says the lights are not 100% US-Made from all US components. But without some sort of spec sheet/breakdown, I didn't know if that meant everything was made in China and they screwed the head on and stuffed it in a box, or if it was 99% US with only a minor component or two made elsewhere.