Review: Nitecore EA81: XHP50-led, 8 x AA, max. 2150 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
Recently, Nitecore released its first light with XHP50 led, the EA81. Advantage of this search- and outdoor light is, that its powered by 8 AA-batteries, which are readily available. Instead of the earlier released P36 with MT-G2, this led combines 2000+ lumens-output with decent throw. In this review we'll have a closer look at the EA81 and will also do some shootouts against the P36 and some competitors.

EA81, powered by a bunch of readily available AA-batteries
3604i.jpg

10g0mbr.jpg

driven by a XHP50 led
s403ms.jpg

big output, low-cost power sources
2mx0vpf.jpg

So let's start, as usual, with the manufacturer specs:

Features:

· Utilizes a CREE XHP50 LED
· Maximum output up to 2150 lumens
· High efficiency circuit board provides up to 810 hours runtime
· Boasts a peak beam intensity of 53,300cd and a throw distance up to 462 meters
· Five brightness levels and three special modes to select from
· A micro-textured reflector offers wide angle lighting
· Featuring Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) technology to dynamically adjust output performance according to its internal temperature
· Direct access to ultralow and turbo modes
· Innovative dual switch offers user-friendly interface
· Integrated power indicator light displays remaining battery power (patented)
· Reverse polarity protection prevents damage from incorrectly insertedbatteries
· Stainless steel retaining ring protects core components from damage
· Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
· Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum alloy
· Robust HAIII military grade hard-anodized
· Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (two-meter submersible)
· 1.5 meters impact resistance
· Tail stand capability

Dimensions:

· Length: 7,6" / 193mm
· Head diameter: 2,36" / 60mm
· Tube diameter: 1,65" / 41,8mm
· Weight: 9.95oz / 282gram (without batteries)

And the output specs:

v30pwh.jpg

Unboxing:

The EA81's box doesn't stand out between other Nitecore boxes. It has the same looks: Colorful, and a lot of specifications and advertising printed on it. The box is sturdy enough to store the light when not used. In the box we find almost everything we need, except batteries. Not a big problem; dealers should include a blister with alkalines to make the light ready to use. Overall, nothing wrong with this box. Have a look at the pictures to see what's inside.

easy recognizable as a Nitecore-box
359cyoo.jpg

in yellow, black, red and white
119s4qx.jpg

inside the EA81, manual, warranty card, spare o-rin,, lanyard, and holster
2lncoz6.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: Not that big one that I expected! A light powered by 8! cells can't be tiny. Luckily it has a rather small tube and enough grip, so it's quite easy to handle with. The light is an upgrade of the earlier released E8 Caveman, with little differences. As always with my Nitecores, this light is well machined, and the treads are lubed well. The anodizing is sufficient, but I've seen better jobs done by Nitecore. It has an orange-peel reflector, in which I found a flaw. Not a big problem, but Nitecore should take care of this. The led is perfectly centered. The notches in the lights' head should give the EA81 anti-rolling, but in practice the light rolls of the table. You've to control the light by the two side-buttons, which are separated by a marked edge. Tailstanding is no problem, also with added lanyard. The inner side of the tube looks ok with gold plated springs and clear icons how to insert the batteries. In the tailcap I found some solder remnants at the springs, this could be improved. Overall, the finishing and machining is good, and the light is easy to handle with. Carrying in the coat pocket (in upcoming winter-season) shouldn't be a problem. Please have a look at the pictures, that show more details and impressions.

good looking flashlight
wim2gw.jpg

but can't be hidden in your hand
52qls.jpg

but is easy to control by using one hand
2lkspkz.jpg

first Nitecore with XHP50 led
2jexr8z.jpg

notches in the head don't prevent rolling of the table…
5yxllk.jpg

steady tailstanding no problem
2n6wtqr.jpg

the orange-peel reflector
291onxc.jpg

big throw combined with a lot of output
2h37j80.jpg

the lanyard added on
a0e0hv.jpg

strongly recommended: rechargeable batteries to avoid leakage
351fn2c.jpg

the holster won't protect the whole light
w6povs.jpg

but is handy while carrying
29p6p9s.jpg

the two power buttons, separated by a thin edge
4ggt92.jpg

laser-engraving well done
dwugcg.jpg

overall anodizing is ok, except some little flaws
33db47q.jpg

solder rests in the tailcap
24l390m.jpg

the threads are greased and machined well
2cp5pjc.jpg

a close up of the EA81's head
2a0dtzm.jpg

deep cooling fins
332o5rk.jpg

16i64ax.jpg

a close up to the perfect centered XHP50 led
s5d2ix.jpg

a rather thin tube
119p54n.jpg

clear icons how to insert the eight AA-cells
jutt2x.jpg

gold plated springs and contacts inside
2v8hgkm.jpg

User interface:

The EA81 used the often used "two-button" interface. Personally I like this interface, but I'm still hoping at more Nitecores with the MH20 (a three-way-button-for-all) interface. You can locate the buttons without problems, but the TM16's (bigger) buttons are easier to be found. A voltage indicator is built in: Three, two or one blue flash informs about actual battery condition. This is show after installing the batteries and can also be shown with a short press at the upper button when the light is off.

A short press activates constant on, starting at turbo at first time. A short click at the upper button cycles through the EA81's modes. From off, press and hold the lower button for instant LOWER-mode or press and hold the upper button for instant TURBO. Personally, I really like this, because you can always start the light at LOWER or TURBO, no matter which last used mode is stored. Double press the upper button for instant-STROBE. In instant-STROBE you can't cycle to another mode. In normal / constant-on mode, press and hold the upper button for the special mode, starting with STROBE. Press and hold for the next mode, BEACON and after that SOS. No memory for the special modes here. Press and hold the power button to activate STANDBY-BEACON while shutting the light off. The EA81 will flash once per 3 seconds, so you easy locate the light. The EA81 has a lockout mode: Press and hold both buttons about 3 seconds to enter, a short flash will indicate the lockout-function. Same way to deactivate. All modes work fine and without problems, but I wish this light will ever come with the MH20 switch.

Modes:

Like most actual Nitecore lights, the EA81 has also five normal and three special modes. You can only cycle up through the modes, starting with LOWER > LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. You have direct access to LOWER and TURBO. Special modes will start at STROBE > BEACON > SOS. You have direct access to instant STROBE. Enough, and well-spaced modes, but I'm waiting for a light that could cycle up and down through its output-modes.

ATR:

The EA81 has advanced temperature regulation to avoid the light will be overheated. When it gets hot, light will (dynamically) decrease output. Time of decreasing depends on the actual conditions. Because this is dynamically, in real life this is hard to see when the EA81 decreases output.

Size comparison:

Some lights shown here side by side. Because I don't own lights with the same output and driven by the same cells and led, I took some well-known lights for the comparison.

AA-battery, Nitecore EC4, Nitecore P36, Fenix LD60 and Nitecore EA81
vjm7c.jpg

Nitecore EC4, Nitecore P36, Fenix LD60 and Nitecore EA81
29yl8yg.jpg

reverse…
2e56qfa.jpg

a zoom-in to the heads
2elqu8h.jpg

and the tails
2d76mit.jpg

Tint:

The XHP50 of the EA81 has more neutral tint than XM-L2, but not that much. I've compared the tint to Nitecore P36 with MT-G2 and warmer tint and the Fenix LD60 with XM-L2(U2) with cool tint.

doay6v.jpg

Beamprofile:

The EA81 has an orange peel reflector, but it has still a throwy beam. It has a rather big hotspot, this makes the light ideal for lighting up a big area at middle distance. Clear visible in this throwy beam: A donut hole. No PWM at any mode, good point!

Beamshots:

To start with, the EA81 projected on a white wall. Distance to the wall about 1 meter.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
155m0eb.jpg

2z9f7gy.jpg

jai0b5.jpg

2ptxhrd.jpg

28k0okh.jpg

animation picture
8vzsat.jpg

Going outside now…..At first, the five output modes. After that, an animated picture. Finally a shootout against the Nitecore P36 and the Fenix LD60. The LD60 has more output, but should reach, according to the specs, approximately the same distance.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
2605306.jpg

2621dzs.jpg

6qxpg6.jpg

124aeqr.jpg

64qgrl.jpg

animation
142vlt3.jpg

Nitecore EA81 against Nitecore P36
2edut5l.jpg

a shootout against the Fenix LD60
ivj2bm.jpg

Conclusion:

The Nitecore EA81 can be the right choice for those who are looking for a big output light combined with huge throw, powered by "cheap" cells. About the cells, I can strongly recommend rechargeable AA's, for example eneloops. This will avoid leakage. In my region, 8 eneloops are the same price a one Nitecore 18650 cell. I like the fact that also this Nitecore has good mode spacing, with a real low. The donut-hole that can be been indoors, is barely visible outdoors. Some finishing details of the EA81 could be some better, and I'd like to see all Nitecores with accurate voltage indicator. It's not an EDC-light, but it won't be a big problem to carry this light in your coat pocket during wintertime, because it's rather compact and not that heavy for a 8-cell-light. Overall, I'm happy with my new AA-output king!

Nitecore EA81 provided for review

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Informative review. Thank you.

As an owner of the Nitecore P36, I especially appreciated the outdoor shots comparing it to the EA81. The Nitecore EA81 throws something like twice as far, but the P36 has the nice tint and wide hot spot of the MT-G2. Both have their uses.

The tint differences were readily apparent in both the greens of the grass and the grays of the pavement.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I can't help but think that it is missing at least one mode of 10-15 lumens. Maybe another at 180-220 lumens, perhaps 120 instead of 80.

I would love one of these, but modes don't do it for me

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
Great review thanks!

How long does Turbo last? I just saw the EC4S review and it's a "ski slope" from the minute Turbo is activated. I'm hoping the EA81 is regulated and provides plenty of 2K lumens when needed.

Thanks again!

UnderPar

Enlightened
Thanks for this review. Really appreciate the beam comparison between this EA81 and P36. The comparison with LD60 also helped. Seems like an interesting light.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Great review, thanks for sharing:) Must admit i prefer the p36 by a good bit out of all of them, love the MTG2 tint/beam.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long does Turbo last? I just saw the EC4S review and it's a "ski slope" from the minute Turbo is activated. I'm hoping the EA81 is regulated and provides plenty of 2K lumens when needed.

Is this a realistic expectation? The only way to get extended, flat runtimes on turbo is to design a flashlight so that it does not have a turbo. That way, the "high" setting can hold its output level for a reasonable period.

I see turbo and boost modes as features that allow a temporary, short-lived jump to super-high output levels. Psychologically, however, I think of my flashlights based on the much lower levels that they can sustain for longer periods.

If you think of the Nitecore EA81 as 2150 lumen flashlight, you are bound to be disappointed. If, instead, you describe the EA81 as a 1200 lumen flashlight that happens to have a 2150 lumen turbo mode, there is a lot to get excited about.

kj75

Enlightened
Thank you all for your kind words! :)

I can't help but think that it is missing at least one mode of 10-15 lumens.

Yes, I understand. But it's a searchlight, so I prefer the ultralow over the 10-15 lumens to have long runtimes in emergency falls.

Thanks to the big head, this light will last on turbo longer than P36 and EC4S, it doesn't get hot that fast. Of course, the light will decrease output soon, but do you real notice this in real life?? I usually use Turbo for short times..

Must admit i prefer the p36 by a good bit out of all of them, love the MTG2 tint/beam.

It seems a trend manufacturers will pass the lovely MT-G2....:( Such a nice led..

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome review kj75!! Outstanding photos! I would actually buy this light if I were in the market for another big light! That is saying a lot considering I usually rip Nitecore. This light looks brighter than the P36 and EC4s...hmmm

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just went back and compared to original EA8. The XHP50 must have a much better efficiency because even with twice the lumen output on Turbo, the EA81 still manages an hour and 45 minutes, as opposed to two hours for the EA8. If I didn't already have my TM16 I would be tempted, even though I have an EA8 as well. The addiction never stops, does it.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses about turbo mode... let me clarify...

If it provides a minute or so at 2K then I'm happy - so long as I can get 2K again after a cooling off period. What concerns me about the EC4S is that the voltage may not be high enough to sustain turbo after one use. The "ski slope" I'm referring to may be voltage related. But I don't know.

If the EA81 can sustain 1200lm and burst at 2000lm (60s is fine) for the *life* of the batteries then I'm going to get one... I own an EA41 and I'm happy with it - so I need a significant upgrade in capability to justify the cost of owning both.

Again - thanks for your review - AA cells don't seem to be popular - so I appreciate your time and effort.

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ref the question from peripatew: No, I just tried both configurations of using only 4 cells in the EA81 - nothing. Only 8 cells are functional.

FWIW: a comparison of beam coverage between 2 EA41s vs 1 EA81 is interesting.

Skipping the accident of how I wound up with 2 EA41 lights, I had been using the EA41s together as a 'poor man's' longer-range light. I like the general beam coverage of the EA41s and especially the smaller more portable size of the EA41. Generally most of the ~1000 lumen lights have a beam with adequate spill/spot, but the range is a bit short for the ranges possible on my daily walks. I do not want all flood, nor all throw. My ranges are limited to the distances that I can still identify the moving animal in mixed (open woods w/road or path) terrain, which is generally under ~200 meters.

The EA81 does have a noticeable doughnut hole, and it is visible in normal use, same as the earlier version of that 8xAA light from Nitecore, the EA8. I had that light and gave it away - the range was OK, but not bright enough. The EA81 satisfies my range and brightness wants. The size of the EA81 doughnut hole seems to be smaller than the EA8 had and it can be ignored in actual use.

Using treetops (evergreen and deciduous) at distance of ~100+ meters as my target, the EA81 gives a broader and somewhat brighter spot than 2x EA41s, doughnut hole notwithstanding. The EA81 beam is broad enough to not need to sweep the terrain to find the noise or whatever movement. The brightness in the broad spot is sufficient over the larger distance to find animals. Using 2x EA41s is advantageous for shorter ranges between 50-100 meters in that two beams not pointed to the same spot can find the subject such as a deer moving thru the mixed woods & road terrain perhaps faster than a single EA81, but YMMV. Depends on the density of the woods any path/road curvatures.

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Germany, turning on a 2000-3000+ lumen flooder in most walking areas would most likely invoke a visit from the Polizei. ie: only along the Main-Donau Kanal could a flooder be useful. The need in most suburban/urban areas of Germany that I live in around Nürnberg is for a narrower beam with several lumen output options.

and that points up the reason why I have steadily switched back to the AAA/AA format. Eneloops are routinely available in brick/mortar stores. Li-Ion cells such as 18650 are mostly mail-order. On a recent flight, security at the usual x-ray entry point in the airport took a second look at my MH20 and finally let it go. I do very much like the size and output of the MH20! nearly perfect for my travel needs. However, the EA81 will now satisfy my higher-power needs with a reasonable beam.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
ref the question from peripatew: No, I just tried both configurations of using only 4 cells in the EA81 - nothing. Only 8 cells are functional..

Shoot! This was a deciding factor for me for this light. Really like the ideal of running of half batteries... Though not sure how often is be doing that. :(. Ordered it today. I wonder why they changed that? Perhaps ditching it allowed some extra brightness?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoot! This was a deciding factor for me for this light. Really like the ideal of running of half batteries... Though not sure how often is be doing that. :(. Ordered it today. I wonder why they changed that? Perhaps ditching it allowed some extra brightness?

I suspect the restriction to all 8 cells is because of the XHP50 LED and the much higher current draw as compared with the EA8. I had the EA8 for several months and never wanted to use only 4 cells. I needed the run-time for the wide-open spaces when the output was on max all the time.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
I suspect the restriction to all 8 cells is because of the XHP50 LED and the much higher current draw as compared with the EA8. I had the EA8 for several months and never wanted to use only 4 cells. I needed the run-time for the wide-open spaces when the output was on max all the time.

Thanks for the great additional info. There doesn't seem to be much love for this light here. I asked about it here (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/410703) for others to help me think through some different options for living in a 3rd world country. Would appreciate your thoughts on it as well since you own and like this light.