DQG Hobi First Impressions

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
My tiny flashlight kick goes on...

I realize I am not breaking any new ground here. I just want to contribute as I can.

This just came in today and I thought I'd throw up a few pictures and give my impression. As you can see in the pictures it is even smaller than the MecArmy.

Obviously it doesn't have a built in charging port which keeps the size down. I did get the charging adapter and that works well. It has two different settings that can charge either 10180 or 10440. Simple to use. Just unscrew the head of the light and replace it with the charging port. It has a red indicator light that turns off when the charge is complete. It doesn't come with a battery by the way. I didn't see that but I did order a couple of spares so no big deal.

This is the Hobi model but there are two others that are basically the same light. This one comes apart into three parts and you can add extension tubes to use other batteries.

Cool glow in the dark ring inside the head. Not sure how useful that will be but it's cool.

Build quality. The center tube has threading on both sides. One side has a more threads than the other side. Not sure if that was intentional but not a huge deal. There was a real nice super thin wire of metal at at the top of the tube that gave me a nice slice when I tried to unscrew it. Not deep enough to draw blood though. I bent the bur back and forth a few times and it broke right off. I would say that the threads are a little rough. Not sure if a good cleaning and some lube would help but I'll give it a try.

What should I use? Graphite?

Anyhow the only thing that I really don't like is that the threads on the inside of the tailcap go almost all the way down. So if you are not careful you can screw the middle tube too far down. And if you do it messes with the spacing of the whole thing and the light will turn on before the head has even passed the O ring. Seems like it would not really a problem because if you are careful you can put it together correctly and be done with it. Trouble is that in turning this light on and off it can loosen the middle tube from either end and you always end up misaligned. Solution. Lock tight Blue. :thumbsup:

Well bottom line is that it is a fun light. I like the feel of it. The look of it. And it's brighter than any light this size should be.

As it stands I like the MecArmy better because of the integrated charging port and the all around smoother action of it.

At some point I will figure out how to take beam shot pictures and all of that but for now I'll just give my impressions.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

hmihaylov

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics and the impressions, I am wondering how small is too small? :)
Compared to the CooYoo Quantum (it has a charging port) that I have this looks of course shorter but while I am very happy with the quality of the Quantum, I am sorry to see the DQG has problems.

I am tempted to buy it and get also the extension tubes to 10440. It would make it a really versatile and still very small little light. :) Has anyone tried it?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pretty small and probably too small for me. I have trouble gripping it. To use it effectively, it has to be on a key ring or lanyard. I have it on a lanyard for neck wear.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for pics and thoughts, i like the hobi and spy/fairy versions. I prefer the quantum though with the USB, the size is still very small with the bonus of a charger.

stainless quantum can live with keys well like the stainless hobi(does not mark easy and no chips like ano)

Out of them all, the stainless cooyoo wins for me, easy to grip, more defined feel between modes instead of progressive feel with a sponge washer(gets tired over time).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
… What should I use? Graphite?

… At some point I will figure out how to take beam shot pictures

Thanks for the impressions and pics

imo the best lube is NanoLube 10
to improve the threads some people get good results by working them with some rubbing compound, like used to restore oxidized car paint (contains mild abrasive)

imo the simplest practical beamshot technique is to fold a piece of printer paper in half, and lay the lights side by side, so the picture can show multiple beams at one time… like this
IMG_9866.JPG

… I prefer the quantum…

… the stainless cooyoo wins...

Im confused, you prefer the quantum but the cooyoo wins? I cant tell which lights are which in your pic, could you please label or list them?

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the impressions and pics

imo the best lube is NanoLube 10
to improve the threads some people get good results by working them with some rubbing compound, like used to restore oxidized car paint (contains mild abrasive)

imo the simplest practical beamshot technique is to fold a piece of printer paper in half, and lay the lights side by side, so the picture can show multiple beams at one time… like this
IMG_9866.JPG

Im confused, you prefer the quantum but the cooyoo wins? I cant tell which lights are which in your pic, could you please label or list them?

Thanks for the advise on the lube and the picture method. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

I think that the light he likes is called the Quantum and it is made by Cooyoo.

It is the same light as the MecArmy that I have. Just a different lable and in this case a different material. They do make the MecArmy in stainless though...next on my list...:thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Jon the quantum is the cooyoo, full name is cooyoo quantum

quantum/DQG AAA/e05ss/DQG hobi/DQG spy/DQG fairy(brass)

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the temptations :), there is a version with tritium insert too:
DQG Ti V3 XP-G2 R5 Titanium Alloy EDC Mini LED Flashlight. I have not tried one, but suspect the Titanium threads might not be as smooth as the Stainless..

not to hijack the Hobi is cool too. I like that these are offered in Neutral White also.

That's where I got my Hobi. Ordered it on 1/12. it shipped on 1/14 and it arrived on 2/6.

Not bad for free shipping from China.

I will likely put in another order for the spy. I like the knurling.

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the Spy with 3 trits, green and ice blue. :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMAG3048.jpg

Not bad for free shipping from China….

Ive been happy with my China mail too, no lost packages, and being in California seem to make it pretty quick, about 6-8 days. Thanks btw for the very informing photos, proof of tailstanding is appreciated too.

are you buying Cool or Neutral versions, got a side by side beam shot of both options?:)

I see there is also a 90CRI version of the Titanium Spy! darn, Im running out of objections.. lol

does anyone have a titanium little light, aren't the threads disgustingly gritty?

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
does anyone have a titanium little light, aren't the threads disgustingly gritty?

I have a Thrunite Ti Christmas edition that has very smooth threads. I also have 4 of the DQG Ti Spys that all have smooth threads. I have yet to experience the "gritty" titanium threads I've heard about.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a DQG Hobi and two Cooyoo Quantums, a Ti and Aluminum.

Other than the Ti Quantum, which I strongly advise against, I think the Hobi and Quantum (at least the Al and stainless steel versions) both have their merits

I like the Hobi because:
- It absolutely disappears in a pocket, I can leave it in a front jeans or dress slacks pocket, it vanishes
- When I travel, I bring along a 10440 and the extension tube and can rev up the size

I like the Cooyoo Quantum because:
- Versus the Hobi, it has a more focused beam and, I would guess, throws out a few more lumens
- Onboard charging is just awesome, no worrying about separate chargers

I find both lights easy to manipulate with two hands

ven

Flashaholic
thanks for the temptations :), there is a version with tritium insert too:
DQG Ti V3 XP-G2 R5 Titanium Alloy EDC Mini LED Flashlight. I have not tried one, but suspect the Titanium threads might not be as smooth as the Stainless..

not to hijack the Hobi is cool too. I like that these are offered in Neutral White also.

Mine has the trit in ,as does my fairy(sorry your referring to the AAA, I thought the spy, so no trits on my AAA version), regarding threads they are not the best and quite fine. For general / light use no problem, for daily or heavy use after time the soft washer wears and the pressure required for mode changes .....changes! The hobi is an improvement in this respect over the spy. However the spy and fairy are mule type with no reflectors . These are mini walls of flood light. Useful for close up stuff!

Regardless if stainless or ti, I always put a small dab of nyogel on the thread (o ring I remove and coat). This helps the threads and after a little working and cleaning smooth out.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may object to the tint of the LED. I wouldn't but it won't be to everyone's taste

Thanks for pointing out that Warm tint is not for everyone.
I actually prefer neutral and warm tints, I carry a 3000k XPG and a 4000K N219B

do you have any pictures comparing the tint of the 90CRI Spy to a Nichia 219?

here are some of mine
IMG_8362.JPG

the xpl is 6000k, the N219 is 4000k. I love the 3k xpg, but the very yellow 3k XPL is not to my liking.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you have any pictures comparing the tint of the 90CRI Spy to a Nichia 219?

Sorry, I have a 90 CRI xpg bare LED. Bought it by accident when buying some 90 CRI xml LEDs. It's similar to your 3000K xpg shot, but fcamera is saying its 2700. Not the most scientific method