What y'all think the GladiatorVN ?

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Not been much mention on here about the new Gladiatorvn light on SkyLumen.com so thought id start a topic about the GladiatorVN

What do you all think to it?

So far my impressions are it looks good quality build, its a multipurpose tool that I personally think would come in handy around the house for extra security at night etc..

I really like the idea behind the design and functionability

I don't know much about the quad drop in though, it seems very powerful in Vinhs video

Im guessing some will love it and some will hate it...

Just curious to your opinions please guys!.....?

Fuhgetaboudit

Enlightened
My wife was in the room when we viewed it for the first time and she really liked, as did I. Both of us felt that it would be a great "What was that?....Bump in the Night" kind of light. Both a Light and a Defensive Weapon in hand just in case. It weighs 457 grams (16.1202 ounces - 1lb.) without batteries so basically about 2lbs. Now that's not as nice as having a baseball bat, but still nice for a hand baton. Machined to have non-slippery, anti-rolling and heat-dissipating squares, and a comfortable grasping handling position. It has a maximum 7.5mm of solid metal alloy with its body, which has Mil-spec type III hard-anodized surface with remarkably enhanced anti-wearing and anti-erosive nature, and hence durability. The Gladiator is definitely a versatile tool for security and more than just portable illumination. I think it's a Winner-Winner, Chicken-Dinner!

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with a quad or triple drop in. Gives a great soft wall of light with some throw, good for lighting up large open areas less than 100m away. They do put out a lot of heat in a p60 host on turbo. Looking at this light, longer run times on turbo should be possible because of the amount of metal in it for heat sinking.

Don't think this ones for me, I have a 6D mag with a 150w incan bulb if something goes bump in the night in my room.:twak:

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Looking at the specs on this light there vinh has made a big performance gain out of his p60 drop in. See specs below, not exactly same led but that wouldn't account for the difference in output.

P60vn Spec 5: Quad XPL HI V3 6500K, Brightest cool white with relatively good*throw $180*ANSI 3000*Lumen, 28K*Lux, 335m Throw

SolarForce GladiatorVN
$255*Spec 1: P60vn Quad XPL*HI V3 6000K*
Max Burst Lumen: 5,150
Max Burst Lux: 40K
Max Burst Throw: 400m

The GladiatorVN is brighter than a k60vn now that's impressive. 2000 Lumen gain must be due to leds in series with the 4 battery set up. Maybe the expert can explain the difference between the two setups.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
It would be great if these numbers were achievable in a single celled 18650/26650 style host, but fear it would go in to melt down with in seconds.

This light must be well made to run those numbers for any length of time.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be so much better if it had a side switch. So you can be in your attack stance and turn the light on , blind him without having to change grip.
With the tail clicky, u need to use both hands, or if using one hand, u need to change grip and that's crucial seconds.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife was in the room when we viewed it for the first time and she really liked, as did I. Both of us felt that it would be a great "What was that?....Bump in the Night" kind of light. Both a Light and a Defensive Weapon in hand just in case. It weighs 457 grams (16.1202 ounces - 1lb.) without batteries so basically about 2lbs. Now that's not as nice as having a baseball bat, but still nice for a hand baton. !

When I saw the light I had the same thought. However, I started to wonder if it would actually work that well. Sure, it would be a great weapon, or a great flashlight.

But if you were really in a self defense in darkness situation, how would you see what you're hitting? I mean... let me illuminate you, then bring my arm back, then swing, and hope you haven't moved?

And if it is on, the lit end is basically a beacon of "watch out for this coming at you". Or would you take the time to turn it off before swinging?

I see a use as a daytime baton or nighttime light, but in real darkness I don't see how it would be better than a light in one hand and baton in the other.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife was in the room when we viewed it for the first time and she really liked, as did I. Both of us felt that it would be a great "What was that?....Bump in the Night" kind of light. Both a Light and a Defensive Weapon in hand just in case.

Ok here's the problem... when you raise your arm up to hit the burglar he disappears into the darkness. That's why I recommend holding a Sky Lumen 2 in your left hand to keep the bad guy illuminated, then, with your right hand, whack him with that old 3xD cell Maglite that's gathering dust in your garage.

If you're not right-handed just stay in bed and have your wife call 911.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I saw the light I had the same thought. However, I started to wonder if it would actually work that well. Sure, it would be a great weapon, or a great flashlight.

But if you were really in a self defense in darkness situation, how would you see what you're hitting? I mean... let me illuminate you, then bring my arm back, then swing, and hope you haven't moved?

And if it is on, the lit end is basically a beacon of "watch out for this coming at you". Or would you take the time to turn it off before swinging?

I see a use as a daytime baton or nighttime light, but in real darkness I don't see how it would be better than a light in one hand and baton in the other.

Somebody didn't read the whole page before posting. Somebody is embarrassed.

smithy18772

Newly Enlightened
Ok here's the problem... when you raise your arm up to hit the burglar he disappears into the darkness. That's why I recommend holding a Sky Lumen 2 in your left hand to keep the bad guy illuminated, then, with your right hand, whack him with that old 3xD cell Maglite that's gathering dust in your garage.

If you're not right-handed just stay in bed and have your wife call 911.

Lol looks like this lefty is in trouble
I'm interested to see how sturdy this thing is and if it can take a bit of a pounding and still be serviceable.

ven

Flashaholic
Real men have it on their key ring.... Just watch your knees when cornering, can get a bit of a swing going from the ign barrel!

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real men have it on their key ring.... Just watch your knees when cornering, can get a bit of a swing going from the ign barrel!

Real men fight with their fists =Þ. The Gladiator is supposed to be used in self defense, not to embrace the aura of police brutality!

My 2 cents on this light is that you have it held in front of you IN YOUR LEFT (or non-dominant hand) to light your target and keep him from knowing how far you actually are, to see and defend yourself from any moves he might make, as your dominant hand connects with his chin from an unsuspecting angle.

VNguyen

Enlightened

In case u missed it, Vinh wears the xm18vn on his left ear and gladiatorvn on his right ear so he has both fists ready to go at any given moment lol

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Honestly, dont let that hold you back on the light as it is something you have to rule out anyway................unless you dont mind doing 10yrs inside! maybe longer...............

We can not talk about any kind of striking etc on CPF, against the rules. Just to let you know:thumbsup:

Well its a defensive light, im not saying I would actually use it in that manner just carrying on from what others have said...

If used in a life threatening situation then its classed as self defence