Cree Stubby FlashLight Won't come on. Need 4 cells??

tripplec

Enlightened
I just got a 11 Cree light flashlight. I only have 3 protected 18650's 2 Samsung 18650-30B and 1 Sanyo. I figure the light would still come one at least for a while as they seem to be all in parallel from the design of these short stubby lights. I can get it closed but its pretty tight with the protected cells and spring pressure.

I guess i'll try topping off the cells even though they are powering the lights they came out off.

Could the protection be kicking off without even a wink of the light segments?

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Iirc the cheap "cree" lights don't like longer cells(protected).
What is the contact like for the head, does it have a spring or any pole to make contact. I would not say the pcb kicking in as it won't ask enough juice to trip it.

I would guess at this this stage it's the cells being too long. To rule out the tail cap, remove cap and bridge negative end of battery to Flashlight body(not anodised). If the light comes on, it's either tail cap issue or not making the contact with the body.

tripplec

Enlightened
The head end is one big copper ring with Red center area and outer red ring just within the head metal about 1/8" So between the ring and center dot is the contact area all flat of course. The body is a unified tail piece with -ve PCB secured way into the tail. I have been having difficulty locating batteries and these lights as other don't have protection circuitry I am sure so I want to use protected cell. I have no way of knowing how far I am discharging any battery otherwise. I though I could at least see what its like pulling 18650's from two other lights. The samsungs are as I recall 3000mAH and older Sanyo had no markings is likely 2200mAH.

I am topping them all up at this time and try one more time.

EDIT: I can't post attachments it seems. So no photo available. Bummer, limited site.

Charge the 18650's and the same. No light maybe its tripping the protection circuit instantly. Hmm No idea what the trip level is on these cells so I am back to square one. I'd need 4 cells and/or unprotected to test with. Oh I ohmed the tail connections and all four are common having continuity between them.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Got you, for some reason i had a single cell light and did not read and take in very well, apologies. Are they button tops?, that is the type of cell you require for contact. Also make sure all 4 cells are matched(same age,same state of charge etc). Dont mix any cells together of different brands/mah capacity.

Presuming the light is like the skway king style, protected should fit............

tripplec

Enlightened
Cells not all the same as per the first post. It similar to those other lights. I have friend with more 18650's I'll borrow them or try at his place he has a similar light a few years ago and go from there. There is little I can do now with at least one more cell which I might be able to get. I bought some for my son. So I'll get them and try those protected along with the two I have.

Thanks

tripplec

Enlightened
I put the cells back in the charger for curiosity. The took another half decent charge. I expect they took a few surges dropping them down. If I am right the cells aren't handling the load. Whatever these lights call for. It has various modes but no idea what it took since it was always dark no matter what I did with the button. No documentation with this so I am just guessing as well.

ven

Flashaholic
Unless the cells are not actually samsung, i would say its unlikely they can not handle the load. For one, they wont be cree(cree do not make lights for one), they will be a copy of cree LED's inside. You would be lucky to get 200lm per led, no more than 300 or so each. Spread over 4 cells, not much load per cell(would guess at less than 1a per cell)..........but a guess. So many copies/knock offs, but usually the 3 led versions and 7 led versions use the same driver.

Again though, use a matching set of 4 for safety reasons, dont take any risks,

Good luck:)

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, would say highly unlikely cree xm-l's ,probably lattice bright or alike! 28,000lm will really be under 2000lm and load on cells will be 2 or 3a at a guesstimate.

The light could be simply DOA , the QC is hit/miss at best unfortunately.

tripplec

Enlightened
Yeah I was afraid is may be DOA. It took almost 3 months to arrive. Thought it was lost.
I would have expected a much higher current unless you mean per emitter 2-3A x11 for like 22A running total?

ven

Flashaholic
I would have thought total between the 4 cells, these lights dont push out anywhere near their claimed specs. It will still give out a decent amount of light if it was working, just more than 25k less than spec.

tripplec

Enlightened
I don't believe the lumins for sure but with 11 I ought see the light. If you know what I mean. My others are only one and can be pretty bright.

tripplec

Enlightened
It working now with 4 cells in it. Also may not have worked as ground kicks in when tightening it even though with the length of the cells all other contacts are made before even threading. Pretty bright and it starts on high output mode.