Budget AA clicky for a mechanic

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm having a terrible time finding a AA clicky for working on cars. I have a bunch of good lights but I want something that is a clicky, AA and NOT tactical at all. Lumens isn't particularly important but easy on the mouth is (I sometimes need to hold the light this way). I'd also prefer a simple on/off without levels, but I can work with that if not possible.

AB8XL

Enlightened
The EagleTac D25A clicky is a good light. I have carried one for years now and is a very good reliable light that supports 14500 batteries too if your interest in Li-ion batteries.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
great suggestion but not exactly budget. I'm thinking closer to $20 so I don't have to baby it.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
How about the coast HP1. $8.15 on am..., yes, $8.15 ! Awesome light for the price. No fancy modes, just on and off. Accepts alkaline, Ni-MH, or 14500. Did I say an AWESOME light for 8 bucks!

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Coast hits all right markers except reliability, they are notorious for needing a knock.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Does it have to be AA? I only ask because my favorite mouth- lights for my car are my 2xAAA led mini mags. About 100 lumens for (my 100lm is like 3h my 84lm almost 6h), eneloop friendly, inexpensive. I use eneloops but alkalines work okay too.

And the very thin aaa tube makes mouth carry easier for extended periods.

Just my $.02

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Pelican 2350 gen 2.
Can be programmed to start on low for working indoors and the IPX8 rating makes it drool proof. Octogan shape of the tailcap prides flat spots for lip-grip, and the button is soft enough to half press it with your tongue to change settings.

I like the 1aaa microstream too. Now that one on the other hand has a button that is stiff enough where a tongue press is futile without a simple modification.
You take the coupon from a hole puncher to say... one of those rewards cards.. you place the coupon between the button and button cover inside of the easily disassembled tail cap, which reduces travel enough to click it off and on with your tongue.

I also like the Streamlight stylus pro as a pocket pen light. Same tailcap as the microstream with much more punch into darkness that lurks in todays crowded engine bays.

The Coast mentioned is a fabulous little number that can zoom to cast a beam into crevices while competing with the sunshine where parking lot diagnosis takes place. Sliding away to make it a flooder difuses all that brightness when the vehicle is indoors.

Also checkout Streamlights stylus pro with a bendy head. Carrys like a pocket pen light with a 6" extension that can bend into places your Snap On cam goes. It has a removable magnetic base that can hold a 16 oz claw hammer whose nail puller side is hooked in the loop of the bendy part of the light while stuck to your tool chest.

The microstream has a dual purpose pocket clip that can fasten to your ball cap. If you choose to buy a microstream or stylus pro from bright guy they sell the dual clip separately for like $2 and it will fit all stylus pro lights.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Does it have to be AA? I only ask because my favorite mouth- lights for my car are my 2xAAA led mini mags. About 100 lumens for (my 100lm is like 3h my 84lm almost 6h), eneloop friendly, inexpensive. I use eneloops but alkalines work okay too.

And the very thin aaa tube makes mouth carry easier for extended periods.

Just my $.02

Those are twistys though right? Unless I missed a model I'm not familiar with.

Pelican 2350 gen 2.
Can be programmed to start on low for working indoors and the IPX8 rating makes it drool proof. Octogan shape of the tailcap prides flat spots for lip-grip, and the button is soft enough to half press it with your tongue to change settings. ..........I also like the Streamlight stylus pro as a pocket pen light. Same tailcap as the microstream with much more punch into darkness that lurks in todays crowded engine bays.

The Coast mentioned is a fabulous little number that can zoom to cast a beam into crevices while competing with the sunshine where parking lot diagnosis takes place. Sliding away to make it a flooder difuses all that brightness when the vehicle is indoor....

These are all on my list now!

Check out the Nebo big larry, Lil larry.

Have a few (3rd party) they are great but seem very prone to flicker no matter what brand I've tried. Plus sometimes I need a beam.

Barrington

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered a head torch? This doesn't just leave your hands free to work but your mouth free for swearing etc. (Or is that just me?)

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the L3 Illuminations with Nichia

I have one (L11C). I really like it because mine has the Nichia high CRI LED, and is simple and very compact.

However, I would not consider it a great car light because the button is small enough to be hard to press with gloves on, and it has a bad reputation for withstanding drops.

A headlamp is also my personal preference. I'm not sure if I've seen a small clicky, $20 flashlight that strikes me as particularly well suited to automotive work. I was tempted to say the Thrunite T10, but I don't think the wide mode spacing would be great for the purpose. Maybe an Inova X1? It's a simple 2 mode light.

The Fenix E12 is in a very similar class. From what I recall, it has a very tight center hotspot that might be good for seeing into nooks and crannies, but not as good at illuminating the whole engine compartment.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Head torch is a no go. I should have specified at the get go, this is almost entirely for nooks and crannies. Everything else I use a cordless 90 bulb stick (which is really handy) or a couple of the Nebo style.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For working on my cars I find a headlamp of little value unless hung from a hook to cast area lighting.

More times than not my eyes are looking at where my hands are. My hands cast a shadow or completely block the light from shining on what it is I need to see.

Only time I find a headlamp useful is looking for that dropped object I heard ping-pong into the abyss and not make the ever welcome hit the concrete sound.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the coast HP1. $8.15 on am..., yes, $8.15 ! Awesome light for the price. No fancy modes, just on and off. Accepts alkaline, Ni-MH, or 14500. Did I say an AWESOME light for 8 bucks!

I've had no problems with my Coast HX5 that I've been carrying for 6 months. Great zoom / flood focusing. $20.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
OK so I ended up with two lights.

1 the COast HP1, pretty hard to beat for $8! Nice little light. Too big to EDC for me but will find permanent home in the tool area.

Fenix E12. Nearly perfect, just wish I could program the modes. Other than that, just the right size. I feel kind of like an idiot since I bought this very same light for my mother just last year and had completely forgotten about it.